Next step with this crabapple?

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
I dug this tree in 2016, left it about 3 feet tall. It grew well last year but all the new growth was at the top so last fall I cut it back to roughly a foot. It was still too tall so I took off a few more inches today but the big straight trunk still looks terrible. Do you think a large chop would be the best course to take? I really don't see it ever being decent with such a straight trunkline. If I do take off the large trunk, what should I do with the one that is left? The main straight trunk is about 1 1/2 wide, just seems like such a big would to make but I know apples are tough.
Oh, I suppose the sucker should come off too?

rAGrEj3.jpg

the other side
jrOBcfM.jpg

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Judys crab is amazing but she has talent, I do not. I'd be willing to give carving a go but any help on design would be great. I am unable to see the tree within so to speak.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
When a plan is not obvious, let it grow out a couple years.

You could use the thickest trunk, I would have gone a little shorter, maybe 8 inches, but carving in the future could take care of it. Just let it grow wild a couple more years. Choices will reveal themselves from future branches.

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That's going to pop with buds this year and next.

Decisions can be deferred.

Edit: Didn't reed two careful ferst time. You've had this a couple years already. So...me personally? I'd probably chop the thick guy. Not flush. Account for some die-back. let the skinny guy pop with more buds and see what happens.

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Judys crab is amazing but she has talent, I do not. I'd be willing to give carving a go but any help on design would be great. I am unable to see the tree within so to speak.
Draw on the trunk a chop line and try to see it without the part you'll get rid of. Carve a bit at a time. Do it slow and you'll find your way.

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
So I've been playing around with a virt and this is what I came up with. One with carved trunk, one without. I think I like it better without.

Attachments

• apple4.jpg
    apple4.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 11
  • ertfkkj,gjk.png
    ertfkkj,gjk.png
    210.8 KB · Views: 11
Top Bottom