Nice day in the neighborhood. Why not showcase??

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It was a beautiful day out this winter so I posted my finest pine in the front yard for display. Hopefully the neighbors noticed it but um yeah, probably not!!!

27028ECF-43F0-4AB3-9203-01A5C038D789.jpeg
918D8748-FC74-4646-B628-4B215860FA0F.jpeg

Decent neighborhood and we have a cameras on prop so not worried about it disappearing.

Anybody else have the balls to showcase any refined trees in the front yard every now and again??

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It was a beautiful day out this winter so I posted my finest pine in the front yard for display. Hopefully the neighbors noticed it but um yeah, probably not!!!

View attachment 277502
View attachment 277503

Decent neighborhood and we have a cameras on prop so not worried about it disappearing.

Anybody else have the balls to showcase any refined trees in the front yard every now and again??
Definitely not in the front yard. One of the best security devices you can have is a degree of anonymity, I had a tree stolen a number of years ago just because it was accessible by a reach over a fence.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Definitely not in the front yard. One of the best security devices you can have is a degree of anonymity, I had a tree stolen a number of years ago just because it was accessible by a reach over a fence.

Damn shame about the tree getting swooped over the fence!!!

Living in a court we don’t get much traffic either

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Assuming that all the people who happen to drive down the street are good people is a mistake. Make yourself a target...

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow...just wow...you are actually inviting someone to steal your tree. bonsai is PORTABLE and easily taken.

If you think bonsai theft isn't a problem, you haven't been doing it very long. I, and many many MANY others, take precautions to avoid having our trees stolen. No ID on trees at shows, trees kept behind tall fencing, large dogs, etc.

Bonsai theft is easy. You're making it stupid easy.

BTW, traffic doesn't matter. Neighbors are all you need. A teenager looking to fund his weekend high is all you need...or one that is already high that wants "one a them banzai trees" to impress his girlfriend (National Arb had a tree stolen for that very reason), or some other harebrained, drugg addled moron that just likes the tree...

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Wow...just wow...you are actually inviting someone to steal your tree. bonsai is PORTABLE and easily taken.

If you think bonsai theft isn't a problem, you haven't been doing it very long. I, and many many MANY others, take precautions to avoid having our trees stolen. No ID on trees at shows, trees kept behind tall fencing, large dogs, etc.

BTW, traffic doesn't matter. Neighbors are all you need. A teenager looking to fund his weekend high is all you need...or one that is already high that wants "one a them banzai trees" to impress his girlfriend (National Arb had a tree stolen for that very reason), or some other harebrained, drugg addled moron that just likes the tree...
A present for Mom or a Girl Friend.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

“I guess that’s like, your opinion man”!

I’m not that worried about a single bouggy I paid $100 for really. Maybe you are and that’s fine. I think my jbp was out there for about 8 hours on a day I was at home. Again I was not worried, but you are and that’s fine. All my trees are kept in my back yard anyway that is easily accessible. I’m not worried about it. I also don’t have a lot of money in my collection. I’m also a newb, besides that jbp, $100 is the most I’ve paid for a tree. And any junkie is welcome to risk what they have coming to them by entering my property lol that’s on them.

I’ve got a fun hobby I’m not as serious about as you are I guess.... and that’s fine dude!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I’m not that worried about a single bouggy I paid $100 for really. Maybe you are and that’s fine. I think my jbp was out there for about 8 hours on a day I was at home. Again I was not worried, but you are and that’s fine. All my trees are kept in my back yard anyway that is easily accessible. I’m not worried about it. I also don’t have a lot of money in my collection. I’m also a newb, besides that jbp, $100 is the most I’ve paid for a tree. And any junkie is welcome to risk what they have coming to them by entering my property lol that’s on them.

I’ve got a fun hobby I’m not as serious about as you are I guess.... and that’s fine dude!
No "fun" in having one of your trees taken... I'm not "serious" -- just aware of the pull bonsai has on many people, especially thieves. Keep it up, you'll learn...

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

That's an opinion that might shift a little bit when you are raided by who knows who in a midnight expedition for spending money. Once they know where the gold mine is, they'll come back periodically for a refill. Unless, of course, you live in continuous daylight, in a monastery. Foolishness is often rewarded.

I thought I would embellish my narrative with a reference to a fictional land of honest people, but guess what? There are no such fictional or mythical places. What does that tell you about assuming the best in everybody?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That's an opinion that might shift a little bit when you are raided by who knows who in a midnight expedition for spending money. Once they know where the gold mine is, they'll come back periodically for a refill. Unless, of course, you live in continuous daylight, in a monastery. Foolishness is often rewarded.

I thought I would embellish my narrative with a reference to a fictional land of honest people, but guess what? There are no such fictional or mythical places. What does that tell you about assuming the best in everybody?
A fictional land of honest people, assuming the best in everyone.... sorry but you got the wrong person

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
No "fun" in having one of your trees taken... I'm not "serious" -- just aware of the pull bonsai has on many people, especially thieves. Keep it up, you'll learn...

Nobody said ‘‘twas a smart idea.

I also keep this on my front porch during warm months but in a better pot now.

98B954CD-F1BC-443C-952E-ABDAF828DED7.jpeg

I paid $50 for it, if somebody wants it that bad, well all luck to ya!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Once you get nicer trees as your skill grows as well as your wallet, and you buy finished trees, you might not be willing to let a couple of hundred dollars worth of bonsai slid down the drive way in some scum-bags hands. It becomes difficult to look at twenty-plus years of work become the property of some dope smoking jack-ass.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"It becomes difficult to look at twenty-plus years of work become the property of some dope smoking jack-ass"

Yup. They're stealing 25 years of work, not the tree...FWIW, having a bonsai stolen is like having a pet stolen. Work on a tree long enough, you have more than money tied up in it.

Aaronkslater

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A fictional land of honest people, assuming the best in everyone.... sorry but you got the wrong person

Daniel, sorry you got ripped a new one for this post! doesn't seem justified, but, I guess I am thankful for the reminder from those that have been ripped off that bonsai are attractive to thieves. Its pretty surprising since I can't imagine what they would do with a tree? they couldn't sell it very easily but I guess they just want it?

I do take offense to all the dope smoking comments... get your paranoid racist paridigms straight! dope smoking thieves were in the 50's and 60's, the 70's were junkies, in the 80's all bad-guys were crack heads, nowadays I suppose they are meth-smoking thieves? :)

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would you tape a 100$ bill to your sidewalk and leave it there all day? It would only be a matter of time till that 100 bucks would disappear...

Last edited:

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Vance, I think you an apology to dope-smoking pot heads. The states have found a new taxable venue and the dope-smoking pot heads are perfectly acceptable, tax-paying citizens benefiting the economy now. A warning to junkies, crackheads and the meth-adjusted: be prepared to be added to the tax rolls in a two-for-one legislative victory, -legalizing bad behavior so it can be taxed and also deleted from the crime statistics. It will also reduce medical costs because these people retire "early", so to speak.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Daniel, sorry you got ripped a new one for this post! doesn't seem justified, but, I guess I am thankful for the reminder from those that have been ripped off that bonsai are attractive to thieves. Its pretty surprising since I can't imagine what they would do with a tree? they couldn't sell it very easily but I guess they just want it?

I do take offense to all the dope smoking comments... get your paranoid racist paridigms straight! dope smoking thieves were in the 50's and 60's, the 70's were junkies, in the 80's all bad-guys were crack heads, nowadays I suppose they are meth-smoking thieves? :)

Jesus, can't imagine what they'd do with the tree? SELL IT or just destroy it for the fun of it. Both have been reasons for VERY long time. One notable collector in Texas had over a dozen of his trees stolen back in the 90s. A month after the thefts, one of the thieves squealed to the cops. The thief lead them to dead bonsai hanging from larger trees in the woods. The idiots threw them up there for the hell of it (and they were stoned--so spare me the remarks about being "offended" at stoner comments). All of the trees were dead, dried out. Never underestimate your fellow man's ability to be a complete dick.
:rolleyes:

Top Bottom