Nice extra high DIY turntable

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yea,I know.Many people probably use these.This one stood out because it extends to 37” !!!!!
Handy for someone over 6’ tall like myself.
I imagine there is just a round piece of 3/4” plywood under that cushion.
I am excited to get this in my new Bonsai room I am making in the house!
They are on amazon too...here is link from manufacturer.

http://www.drlomilomi.com/massage-stool/massage-stool-507

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Works Good!

I am pleased with this DIY bonsai turntable.The height is fantastic.The highest extending on the market,as far as I can see.
I ripped off the cushion to expose the top.
I have coupled it with my adjustable stargazing chair.
The chair is great because it has rubber suspension,so the seat tilts a bit and gives a little on my rump.
Can adjust the chair very low too,so I can get eye level with my bonsai if need be.
The beginnings of my bonsai room!
I am excited about this!

DB214F9A-45BA-4458-9F0E-CB4DE6AC3D32.jpeg5EA6266A-CAF9-40DC-A0EE-7CF4A87BD3F8.jpeg1B224F49-851E-4E99-A9C0-A229560C29BD.jpeg

Last edited:

WOOB

Sapling
Reaction score
I don't know for big trees? I replace the screws with bolts so they don't pull lose. I was a shop teacher for 29 years I HATE WHEELS I lose them for sure!

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't know for big trees? I replace the screws with bolts so they don't pull lose. I was a shop teacher for 29 years I HATE WHEELS I lose them for sure!
I see your point.These are reinforced with tapped anchores and are bolted in.I may upgrade it eventually with a bigger board and maybe a nice rubber top.

WOOB

Sapling
Reaction score
I see your point.These are reinforced with tapped anchores and are bolted in.I may upgrade it eventually with a bigger board and maybe a nice rubber top.

You know it will be fine and one day .... For the rubber mat if you get a mat and some spray adhesive its and easy fix. Spray the wood flip it upside down and trim it

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Last edited:

Random User

Reaction score
can you stop it from spinning?

I have some trees that are just too heavy to mess with every time I want to turn them, so I use the swivel seat bases off of small fishing boats on my benches. There are lockable and free spinning types. If you want a lockable turntable base for trimming trees they are very sturdy (obviously) and somewhat weather proof, but some are stiffer to turn than others.

I think they would be good to bolt to the top of the hydraulic platforms many people use on this site for transporting trees. If you are observant when you buy them, some have a hole in the centre and some are solid. The hole is a handy feature because once the top is screwed in place and the tree is on top, the hole (once you drill it through the plywood top) will allow the excess water to drain off/through... I've rigged up a system where I have a 5/8' automotive heater hose off of the bottom of each turntable, and the run-off is captured for other non-important plants, or simply directed away from other trees below it. Note: The hole is not 5/8" through the swivel... it's more like 2".

The lockable type:

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...oat-seat-12-way-locking-swivel-base?a=1174769

The non-lock able type just don't have the locking handle.

What I consider the less desirable sold type:

https://www.seaflo-uk.com/marine-bo...ng-turntable-75301-fishing-cruiser-5385-p.asp

Last edited:

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have some trees that are just too heavy to mess with every time I want to turn them, so I use the swivel seat bases off of small fishing boats on my benches. There are lockable and free spinning types. If you want a lockable turntable base for trimming trees they are very sturdy (obviously) and somewhat weather proof, but some are stiffer to turn than others.

I think they would be good to bolt to the top of the hydraulic platforms many people use on this site for transporting trees. If you are observant when you buy them, some have a hole in the centre and some are solid. The hole is a handy feature because once the top is screwed in place and the tree is on top, the hole (once you drill it through the plywood top) will allow the excess water to drain off/through... I've rigged up a system where I have a 5/8' automotive heater hose off of the bottom of each turntable, and the run-off is captured for other non-important plants, or simply directed away from other trees below it. Note: The hole is not 5/8" through the swivel... it's more like 2".

The lockable type:

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...oat-seat-12-way-locking-swivel-base?a=1174769

The non-lock able type just don't have the locking handle.

What I consider the less desirable sold type:

https://www.seaflo-uk.com/marine-bo...ng-turntable-75301-fishing-cruiser-5385-p.asp
Cool...looks like that would mount right up with my turntable...the locking one.
Amazon has them too!

Last edited:

Random User

Reaction score
The base on all three are the same... for your purpose you are just as well off to get the one without the hole, I think they are a little cheaper. You don't need to have the drain hole like I do on my bench mounted turntables.

I think there is a diagram in the "images" portion of a Google search that you could confirm the base measurements before you bought anything... but a good ebay ad will have that info also.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The base on all three are the same... for your purpose you are just as well off to get the one without the hole, I think they are a little cheaper. You don't need to have the drain hole like I do on my bench mounted turntables.

I think there is a diagram in the "images" portion of a Google search that you could confirm the base measurements before you bought anything... but a good ebay ad will have that info also.
Thanks!
It is funny,I ordered it on Amazon,only to cancel my order in just the nick of time because my whole pedestal spins and defeats the purpose of a locking turntable,so to lock it I will probably tap a hole on the pedestal itself with a bolt or something lol:D
I am going to Lowe’s today and get some rubber material and a round board that is about 18” to have a bigger top.
With my smaller bonsai,I think some Liquid Nails will do the trick.Just seal it to the smaller board.
Should look nice!

Random User

Reaction score
cancel my order in just the nick of time because my whole pedestal spins and defeats the purpose of a locking turntable

I was wondering about that.

I wouldn't make the top any wider than the diameter of the base (wheels)...

Perhaps you could use the foot-bar as a way to secure some sort of locking device.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
can you raise the plant while on the turntable like you can a barber chair. or do you have to set it before the plant is placed and only lower the plant?
Have to set it before the tree is placed,or grab the sides and push down,if you pop it up it may literally throw the bonsai in the air,it raises with such force.
Mine always stays extended all the way.I have no need to lower it.
These are made to lower with the weight of a person,so If you want it lowered you have to push very hard.

Last edited:

Random User

Reaction score
I have a jack made for the aerospace industry that has a mechanical cylinder similar to the one in the link:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200641751_200641751

The cylinder that I have has a 4 bolt base bolt pattern and the cylinder rod has a ball on the end of it (good for the actual swivel).

However, the footprint of the wheels was too narrow for a stable platform IHMO, so I have yet to get my arse in gear and find a suitable plate... everything else is there. It always seems that I manage quite well working on trees with the boat seat swivels right in the same spot they sit during the growing season.

After another search, I guess mine would be more like this one with the 4 bolt plate on the bottom... not sure of the stroke... I''d guess 12-18".

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200641792_200641792

Last edited:
Top Bottom