Nice trunk, little else... suggestions?

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This was originally two close growing potted ficus about eight feet tall. It was given to me after a hard frost killed the top half. I chopped just above the highest living branches. Two years later this is what I have.

I've assumed that I would have to graft the shorter (but fatter) trunk if it lived. It does have some branches emerging but not in a very good spot.

Looking for suggestions.

Attachments

• ficus1.jpg
    ficus1.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 54
  • ficus2.jpg
    ficus2.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 55
  • ficus3.jpg
    ficus3.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 41
  • ficus4.jpg
    ficus4.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 42

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
Mind you I'm not familiar with the species, but would you be able to work the larger trunk down until it's par with the shorter and then re-make the whole tree from a much larger base?

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I wouldn't say little else. It has nice nebari, too.

I would defoliate this tree completely and prune all of the branches back to about 2 or 3 nodes and see if the new growth that follows the defoliation comes out in a useful place on the smaller trunk.

Bonsai_Bubba

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

I would defoliate this tree completely and prune all of the branches back to about 2 or 3 nodes and see if the new growth that follows the defoliation comes out in a useful place on the smaller trunk.

It looks like a benjamina to me, and I've heard those don't take too well to defoliation. Am I nuts?

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The leaves look like Benjamina to me as well. It seems to be growing well. Maybe let more growth extend and cut everything back to a couple sets of leaves to see if it pops buds out down low. I wouldn't feel safe completely defoliating it due to its reputation for dieback.

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot

The leaves look like Benjamina to me as well. It seems to be growing well. Maybe let more growth extend and cut everything back to a couple sets of leaves to see if it pops buds out down low. I wouldn't feel safe completely defoliating it due to its reputation for dieback.
I would never defoliate a benjamina...in your climate, or it will have die back.
i develop mine by constantly cutting back to 1-2 leaves after allowing it to grow 4-5 .
I use escape branches for thickening branches.

Top Bottom