Nick Lenz Pot

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I happened across a few more Nick Lenz pots (4 pictured here) and just had to snatch them up. A few are pretty similar looking, so I'll probably offload 2 of the 3 pinched pots. I already have one up for auction. I definitely plan to keep the free form pot with raked sides. The unglazed accent/mame pots are run of the mill, but I still love them.

Attachments

• IMG_3824.JPG
    IMG_3824.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3826.JPG
    IMG_3826.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3827.JPG
    IMG_3827.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3828.JPG
    IMG_3828.JPG
    189.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3831.JPG
    IMG_3831.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3832.JPG
    IMG_3832.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 83

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Also, one of the pinch pots arrived broken...:( Any suggestions as to what to use to repair it? It's a clean split, so the seam lines up well. I know I could call and have the pot refunded, but I really like it (large pinched pot with sloped sides). Just tapping into the wisdom here.

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Also, one of the pinch pots arrived broken...:( Any suggestions as to what to use to repair it? It's a clean split, so the seam lines up well. I know I could call and have the pot refunded, but I really like it (large pinched pot with sloped sides). Just tapping into the wisdom here.
Try Gorilla glue, I've heard some have success with it.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Picked it up on the Bonsai Auction site on Facebook.

I usually pay attention to all the auction sites for Lenz pots - must've slipping through without me noticing. Nice pick up!

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I usually pay attention to all the auction sites for Lenz pots - must've slipping through without me noticing. Nice pick up!

Two weeks ago I believe, Mark Comstock poster 2 NL beauties, I was thinking of going for both, but missed my window and the auction ended. Good thing no one overbid me on this one, I would have missed it as well.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
As a side note, I thought about going for a kintsugi repair on the Lenz pot (gold seam at the break seam). Unfortunately the repair would be at least twice what the pot is worth. But I think it would look awesome! Maybe in due time. Example of the repair below - picture from Lakeside Pottery (one of Bell's pots he sent in for repair).

Attachments

• Oribe-yu-glaze-kintsugi.jpg
    Oribe-yu-glaze-kintsugi.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 69

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

You know!

Dude will remain one of the most well known artists of our time.

Save the glue for the electric blue s tree pot!

Sorce

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So about a year ago I bought a kintsugi kit on eBay from Japan, and yes I read that the main bonding agent has the same compounds as poison ivy, but I told myself I would be very careful. Within a week of using this, I broke out in a rash... Everywhere! Come to find out, you can develop a rash just from the vapors from this stuff. I sealed up the kit and stashed it away deep, my hubris tells me to try it again, perhaps in a few more years when the phantom itching stops.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So about a year ago I bought a kintsugi kit on eBay from Japan, and yes I read that the main bonding agent has the same compounds as poison ivy, but I told myself I would be very careful. Within a week of using this, I broke out in a rash... Everywhere! Come to find out, you can develop a rash just from the vapors from this stuff. I sealed up the kit and stashed it away deep, my hubris tells me to try it again, perhaps in a few more years when the phantom itching stops.

That sounds wicked. If I get it done, then I'm going to the professionals. I don't trust myself to do a good job with that sort of thing. I didn't read about the potential for rashes in the repair descriptions - I'll have to specifically ask about that.

Either way, the pot won't be "useable" about a kintsugi repair, but it would make a really cool display piece. It's a more unique pot I have of his, even if it is unsigned.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
NL pots are nice but I can't recomed buying them from natures way - I have been there and it's hit or miss. They tend to inflate there prices a lot but sometimes you do find gold.

I'm a huge fan of http://www.ikerbonsaipots.com/

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
NL pots are nice but I can't recomed buying them from natures way - I have been there and it's hit or miss. They tend to inflate there prices a lot but sometimes you do find gold.

I'm a huge fan of http://www.ikerbonsaipots.com/

I agree. I contacted them a while back about some Lenz pots they had. Great stuff, but too rich for my blood...

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I posted in the "Wanted to Buy" section, but if anyone has any Lenz pots they're looking to sell - hit me up! Thanks!

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My newest Lenz acquisition - a medium cascade pot. Nice grey glaze with blue highlights around the rim. I was told it's a much older pot that's seen some use. Nicely understated with still a little pop.IMG_3940.JPG IMG_3942.JPG IMG_3943.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3944.JPG
    IMG_3944.JPG
    260.4 KB · Views: 39

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Another recent NL pickup from a fellow B-nut member. Yeah, it's on the plainer side, but we need those as well! There's a "20" etched on the underside of the pot next to his signature. Anyone have any clue what it could mean (I know, most likely nothing).
IMG_3994.JPG IMG_3995.JPG

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another recent NL pickup from a fellow B-nut member. Yeah, it's on the plainer side, but we need those as well! There's a "20" etched on the underside of the pot next to his signature. Anyone have any clue what it could mean (I know, most likely nothing).
View attachment 116917 View attachment 116918
My guess would be he made a series of the same pots for an event or something.

Top Bottom