Nick Lenz Pot

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Usually, a number after his signature is that noting a glaze varient. Nick used a very limited number of base glazes ( I believe only 3) and sometimes used numbers to track glaze varients--different glaze mixtures--sometimes very subtle. Most of his pots do not have numbers, however, this pot appears to have no glaze at all so the number is probably tracking another technical variable.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Usually, a number after his signature is that noting a glaze varient. Nick used a very limited number of base glazes ( I believe only 3) and sometimes used numbers to track glaze varients--different glaze mixtures--sometimes very subtle. Most of his pots do not have numbers, however, this pot appears to have no glaze at all so the number is probably tracking another technical variable.

Thanks for shedding a little light on what the number could mean. I figured it was some sort of personal note to signify something, but was obviously unsure. I know he transitioned at some point the type of clay he was using, so maybe the number has something to do with that. Thanks!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There's a "20" etched on the underside of the pot next to his signature. Anyone have any clue what it could mean (I know, most likely nothing).

Ask Nick and send him that picture... nicklenz3@gmail.com ;) That's an old e-mail addy but it may still work.

Grimmy

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ask Nick and send him that picture... nicklenz3@gmail.com ;) That's an old e-mail addy but it may still work.

Grimmy

Thanks, Grimmy! Is he approachable in that way? I've never met him before and don't want to bug him if he's the type that doesn't like being bugged...

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks, Grimmy! Is he approachable in that way? I've never met him before and don't want to bug him if he's the type that doesn't like being bugged...

It may take a bit to get a reply if he is busy so just send one e-mail, short, sweet, and add a compliment ;) If that is still valid you will get a reply, he is a nice guy for certain.

Grimmy

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It may take a bit to get a reply if he is busy so just send one e-mail, short, sweet, and add a compliment ;) If that is still valid you will get a reply, he is a nice guy for certain.

Grimmy

haha, @GrimLore the email was for A Nick Lenz not THE Nick Lenz. You're right, he was very nice! Oh well, I'll content myself with just speculating about the number next to his signature. :)

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

After some poking around it seems like the number could refer to the clay mix he used for this particular pot (or batch of pots). I love digging into different details of pots - it makes collecting them so much more interesting.

Just picked up four more of his pots - I'll post up once they get here.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
IMG_4645.JPG IMG_4648.JPG IMG_4649.JPG A nice 10.5" round picked up from a local B-Nutter. Love the variation in the glaze. Included a picture of the pot right before the little one snatched it from the chair. She obsessed with knocking on all of my pots.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ha! I saw the pictures on my phone and thought the pot had expanded magically. couldn't make out that it was a child's hand on it.

Glad this one went to a good home with a lot of its kin. I will miss it.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I already posted these Lenz pots in another thread, but I figure it would be nice to have them all in one place (to soothe my OCD). I've got another on the way from MRB (with a yellow Roy pot) that I'll post when it arrives. Enjoy!

IMG_4741.JPG IMG_4744.JPG

Last edited:

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Man damn Thams! I thought I bought a lot of pots in the past year... you r making me look like a beginner!

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Man damn Thams! I thought I bought a lot of pots in the past year... you r making me look like a beginner!

Haha, I've been trying hard to build a quality pot collection. Once I get some good outdoor space I'm going to concentrate on acquiring great material. I should have the pot side of the equation covered by that time. I think it was @Brian Van Fleet that said in a post a while back - really look at what you're about to buy (pot or tree). If it doesn't add to the quality of your collection then just pass. I've been trying to do that with the pots I buy. It's somewhat a matter of taste, but I try to purchase pieces that'll stand the test of time.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It's that time again. Just picked up three more Lenz pots - thought I would share. The partially glazed round is the most interesting, I think.
IMG_4963.JPG IMG_4966.JPG IMG_4967.JPG

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
One more for the books. Got a few Roy pots arriving soon that I'll post up once they arrive. IMG_5065.JPG

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Really cool early Lenz carved from a single block of clay. The glaze is really awesome with some greens peeking through the blues. Fairly small at about the size of my palm.IMG_5201.JPGIMG_5202.JPG IMG_5203.JPG

Top Bottom