Nick Lenz RIP

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks @Walter Pall , @crust thank you for your torch holding hand, my heart is pained for your loss.

Now I know when I throw the Yarrow I had growing in my NL pot on this hammer smashed finger, it will heal even faster.

Here's to keeping a baby head or 2 in your garden, or an old Lionel train!

I won't find myself hip deep leaned into a dumpster without a thought of this special person this Summer!

Sorce

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I'll forever remember him as the author that introduced the phrase "cow chomped" and made it sound good. I think I read "Bonsai from the Wild" at least 5 times in the early years of my addiction, and staring at his creations pictured in his wonderful book and reading his unique prose as he described both the species he collected and how he worked them was a wonderful way to spend a cold winter evening. Truly one of the giants of American bonsai and a leading advocate in the use of collected native material. I had always hoped to meet him... :confused:.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
RIP What a sad day for bonsai .A Great old tree is gone . But those that were inspired carry on . Living in the north east his book was a lightning bolt of inspiration . I know I’ll think of him every day I set off to search . For bonsai from the wild

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I didn’t know him but it is always a sad day when a pioneer passes. His legacy will live on in the hearts he touched, the minds he inspired and the works of art he created in the trees. His passion was making beauty in nature and of the things of this earth…. of which we all inevitably return to. Rest In Peace Nick Lenz.

Last edited:

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Truly sad news! I had the great good fortune to join five workshops with Nick in the mid 2000s. The trees I did with him are my most treasured. On one of his visits to Dallas, I was his driver for an after-bonsai tour of local discus fish breeders, another of his passions and accomplishments. He was brilliant and always true to his muse.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Very sorry to hear this, I wish I had had a chance to meet him. He had a unique soul, it seems.

Rivka

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nick Lenz passed away… ?
Im asking for some clarity because no matter how hard i search, I can not find more specifics or confirmation or anything. And I do find numerous similar names, so with the speed of modern internet times, I like to confirm things.
@Walter Pall, do you have 1st hand knowledge of this sad news? What a loss.

Top Bottom