Night mystery

Adamski77

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Aaahh! Pretty sure not any cherry tree(I hope!) Flowers look like Quince but not sure of correctness of guess🤔.
I’m struggling too… currently living in Shanghai… got this tree as my wife was passing by the shop and liked it a lot… so came home with us. Difficult to identify trees here… they normally don’t use Latin names and in local language after translation everything is the same ;).

Adamski77

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
seems this thread might/will become development thread for this tree... I started to answer myself... but I do want to document it for future.

So damage on the tree was done by peach twig borer... at least based on my identification... pretty nasty creature after some extensive reading done. Photos below... pretty tough to get rid of but doable and trees do survive... which is great news. For anybody facing same problem here is very solid source I found:
http://treefruit.wsu.edu/crop-protection/opm/peach-twig-borer/

I cut pretty much all new shoots, sealed with cut paste, applied pesticide and watching the tree... situation seems to be normalizing... can't see more coming. Also trying to buy pheromone traps but quite a challenge here in China...

Attachments

• Peach Twig Borer 1.jpg
    Peach Twig Borer 1.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Peach Twig Borer 2.jpg
    Peach Twig Borer 2.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Peach Twig Borer 3.jpg
    Peach Twig Borer 3.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 3

Adamski77

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
one more interesting observation... I think the tree has defensive mechanism against peach twig borer. Pictures are showing what happens... basically at the end of new shoot the tree stops producing leaves and transforms new bud into hard spike. The way the borer normally gets inside the shoot/branch is through top of the shoot... once hard spike is there it's not possible.
I found these spikes all around the tree (older branches as well as this year shoots)... seems this tree has been going through this before... unless I'm not right and the spikes are results of something else.

Now the real question is how to make the tree going again? Shoots are kind of "finished"... if I want to stimulate further growth through second flush of growth what should I do? Cut these like regular shoots and expect same result? Anybody can give me some advise here?

Attachments

• Protection 1.jpg
    Protection 1.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Protection 2.jpg
    Protection 2.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Protection 3.jpg
    Protection 3.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 2
Top Bottom