Nightmare Bonsai???

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Walter Pall's grim fairytale he told to describe what is "fairytale bonsai" got the ol' wheels turning. It's the time of year for pumpkin spice, apple cider, pumpkin carving, ghouls, goblins and the like. But what about spooky bonsai!? I am sure we all have bonsai projects that we would call a nightmare...but what about potted trees that invoke the grim imagery of our deepest fears? I saw these pictures on the internet, and was wondering if anyone on the forum had any trees with twisted trunks, bare branches that reach out towards you, tortured deadwood, or anything ensue that envokes the feeling of nightmare bonsai?

IMG_1627.JPG
IMG_1629.JPG
IMG_1628.JPG

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I worked on this limber pine at Natures Way Bonsai. It's gnarled and twisted trunk was tortured almost to the point of snapping by Mother Nature. I ripped at it's bark, scraped at it's trunk and bent the branches towards the viewer like dozens of undulating, barbed tentacles....under the close supervision of Walter, Jenn and Brandon!

Attachments

• IMG_1493.JPG
    IMG_1493.JPG
    489.5 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1495.JPG
    IMG_1495.JPG
    374.9 KB · Views: 76

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I worked on this limber pine at Natures Way Bonsai. It's gnarled and twisted trunk was tortured almost to the point of snapping by Mother Nature. I ripped at it's bark, scraped at it's trunk and bent the branches towards the viewer like dozens of undulating, barbed tentacles....under the close supervision of Walter, Jenn and Brandon!

Spooky Filter!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1493.JPG
    IMG_1493.JPG
    552.8 KB · Views: 76

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Nice find on the photos. And that's a wicked looking pine. Was it snapped to give it that look? Or did the snapped wood come from some other line, like large branches?

Next Tuesday night, Bonsai Mirai will have their weekly bonsai live feed. The subject is "Spooky Styling". Must be that time of year.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That was how the trunk came from the wild. The only thing we did was remove a loose piece from the front that was eaten by insects, and thin out a few parts.

Top Bottom