Nightmare on Olive street (Warning, 18+ only thread)

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So this happened today.. A massacre in the garden. If you are a sensitive person, this is the moment to browse away..

Ok.. I warned you!

I had this olive, which I could not even get sold because of the lumpi trunk..
20190422_R14A1548.jpg

So.. Today it was time. I decided to cut its head off. Could not take it anymore:
20190422_R14A1550.jpg20190422_R14A1551.jpg

Covered the cut so it does not dry out too quick and crack. Hoping for sprouts:
20190422_R14A1555.jpg
The other side has become a large olive cutting
20190422_R14A1554.jpg

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
20190422_r14a1548-jpg.238842

Mate, i dont even think the fairy tale style could of saved that one, has a face only a mother could love:D

You did good:D:eek:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nothing scary about that, that's just what you do with olives!!!

pomegranates, figs, quince and a myriad of others.
In california, maybe. But here we are told olives, figs, pomegranates are very sensitive species that always have problems. Now, last years summer was such a hot, dry beast.. If we get that again this year it will be fine. If we get a regular summer which normally takes place for 24 hours between july and .. july, and for the rest it stays fall.. I dunno. But.. 80F yesterday, and it should stay for the week. Let's hope that is enough to trigger a response.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In california, maybe. But here we are told olives, figs, pomegranates are very sensitive species that always have problems. Now, last years summer was such a hot, dry beast.. If we get that again this year it will be fine. If we get a regular summer which normally takes place for 24 hours between july and .. july, and for the rest it stays fall.. I dunno. But.. 80F yesterday, and it should stay for the week. Let's hope that is enough to trigger a response.
I love larches. I think they are the perfect bonsai subject. They don't thrive here. I don't grow them.

Olives thrive here....see a parallel.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Very nice choice.
I hope you get buds.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
see a parallel
Hm.. Almost. Except for.. Olives do well here too. They are just a little more demanding in getting established :)

So you cut a tater in half to try to get two taters? I wish you luck and a lot of bacon, butter, etc..
Hmm Fried in olive oil!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Hm.. Almost. Except for.. Olives do well here too. They are just a little more demanding in getting established :)

ahhh I didn't get that from your prior post. Especially this part:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I always feel that there is "keeping" a species somewhere. There is "growing" and "Thriving". I think you need thriving for certain techniques. Olives certainly have issues here at times (Think -20C / -4F winter temperature spikes, weeks, months of rain). But, they do grow well once established. But not thriving as they would in mediteranean climates.

Top Bottom