Nihonga scrolls

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Al, thanks for posting your scrolls. I particularly love the color and detail in the scrolls in your 11:32pm post, as well as the last two scrolls in your 11:35pm post.

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Al,

Thanks for taking the time to take photos of your trees and post'em here. They are beautiful I especially liked the fall and spring duo. I also appreciate that you have a knowledge of their traditional usage in Japanese culture. I learned quite a bit, thanks.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Al,

Thanks for taking the time to take photos of your trees and post'em here. They are beautiful I especially liked the fall and spring duo. I also appreciate that you have a knowledge of their traditional usage in Japanese culture. I learned quite a bit, thanks.

Thanks Ryan...though I didn't post any pictures of trees:eek:

I did a couple repots today so I'll post those. Nothing fancy, just some trees in need of repot.

Attachments

• DSC_00020001.JPG
    DSC_00020001.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC_00050002.jpg
    DSC_00050002.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC_00070003.JPG
    DSC_00070003.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 47

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Klytus,

You can go ahead and stuff your pike if you want to :D:eek:.
:D:D:D

The jumping carp is a symbol of transformation and endurance in Japanese lore. Carp leaping up waterfalls is about overcoming obstacles to achieve a goal--overcoming daunting odds. Carp are seen as the most energetic of fishes.

More specifically, in May "boy's day" in Japan uses this symbol in association with boys making the journey to become men...Families fly carp streamers for each boy in the family...

http://www.ginkoya.com/pages/childrensday.html

And yes, there is a Girl's Day in Japan too..
Thanks for sharing that, it is interesting and makes sense.

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Al,
Are there drainage holes in the white suiban? How do you keep it clean when you water? What watering device do you use?

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Ryan...though I didn't post any pictures of trees:eek:

I did a couple repots today so I'll post those. Nothing fancy, just some trees in need of repot.

LOL. I must have typed that first part on auto pilot. Hence the usage of "trees". I'm really sorry...I meant to say "scrolls". Seriously I do appreciate you taking the time to share them. Scrolls and their history and usage in Japan are all very new to me and I enjoy learning about them from those "in the know".

...the trees are nice though:D

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Al,
Are there drainage holes in the white suiban? How do you keep it clean when you water? What watering device do you use?
Just have to be carefull when watering. The sides of the tray are very shallow, only about 1/8 inch or so. The water just runs off. I prop them on a stick on my bench so the water runs off the back of the salver. That keeps the salver clean.

LOL. I must have typed that first part on auto pilot. Hence the usage of "trees". I'm really sorry...I meant to say "scrolls". Seriously I do appreciate you taking the time to share them. Scrolls and their history and usage in Japan are all very new to me and I enjoy learning about them from those "in the know".

...the trees are nice though:D

Sorry Ryan just messin with ya. Thanks for the kind words. I have a huge archive of scroll artists. It is amazing the history of these artists.

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I prop them on a stick on my bench so the water runs off the back of the salver. That keeps the salver clean.

Now that was a new vocabulary word for me. I had to look it up. Salver- a tray without handles. Is salver synonymous with suiban or is there a technical difference?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now that was a new vocabulary word for me. I had to look it up. Salver- a tray without handles. Is salver synonymous with suiban or is there a technical difference?

Salver is not a Japanese term as suiban is. "Sui" meaning water and "Ban" meaning vessel or pot.

Many times Suiseki are displayed in a "Doban", "Do" meaning metal and "Ban" meaning vessel or pot. A copper or bronze salver would be a Doban.

The term salver as used in Bonsai or Suiseki has come to mean a tray with sides being 1/4 inch or less. For sides larger than this the term Suiban is commonly the correct term. All of these vessels come without holes for drainage.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Two new scrolls.

Attachments

• DSC_00900001.JPG
    DSC_00900001.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 37
  • k49401.jpg
    k49401.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 41

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My envy is great... nice scores!

V

Thank you...the line on the waterfall up top is the hang cord flopped over the front. The carp trying to climb the waterfall is for perserverence. The moon was the score of all time. Finding a scroll of a moon with nothing else in the picture is very rare.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You know I shiver for a good scroll... table... netsuke.... suiseki... kusamono about as much as I do for a good tree. I love it all without exception, and let me say you are gathering quite the collection.

Please consider me for your will... lol jk dear one. I know it's your children's inheritence... lord knows there will be no cash by the time you kick the bucket. :p

V

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Vic,

KEEP AN EYE ON EBAY!!! This kind of thing comes up pretty often --even moon scrolls :D

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My problem is not knowing what's the real deal from the crap. I've got a better sense than I used to have... but I still have no idea what makes for an acceptible offer where I am not being taken advantage of in my ignorance.

I think whoever first said ignorance is bliss was a git. :p

V

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
僕も手作りの表具を作りますが、残念ですね。
本当の具体的な登龍門の意味を学びたいならば、www.wallscroll.blogspot.com を参照してください。
最後の提案ですが、表装または、掛け物が何の時代に日本に現れましたか。

よろしくお願い申し上げます。
掛け軸より

Top Bottom