Nine Things you might not know about JBP decandling...

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have some photos, but this post by Bill Valavanis shows pretty much everything:

https://valavanisbonsaiblog.com/2014/02/03/a-visit-to-bonsai-boon-a-suiseki-collection/

19.jpg
That picture was from a couple years ago! I see a tree that Boon sold me on the front bench!

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like Boon has a watering system setup to water all those trees (understandable) are those light green things standing on the benches stakes aiming the spray nozzles at the pots? got any close ups of the setup by any chance? I saw @Eric Schrader new watering setup recently, just interested in other peoples methods..

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Boon's system has two components: each bench has at least one, maybe two "pop up" sprinklers. They're in the middle of the bench and spray out.

But those may water only the tops, and the sides of the trees facing the sprinklers, so he has a second system to water the back side of each tree. I don't know the name, but there's a central hub and the plastic diffusers are each connected with tubing. The diffusers are directional, and they're either stuck into the soil and pointed back towards the trunk, or there are little holes drilled into the wood bench where the diffuser is placed.

The system is on a timer, and each bench gets a minute or two. In the summer, twice a day. Spring snd fall, once. Winter, maybe just hand water. When a bench goes off, the whole bench gets watered.

Right now, however, Boon has an apprentice, so the trees are getting hand watered!

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The pop ups are just regular lawn sprinklers, not drip. Then he has the drip adaptors on some of the sprinkler heads and the main emitters that he uses are called "spot spitters." The system is mostly hard plumbing, not the typical small black tubing, which probably make is less prone to failure.

I'm personally pleased to see Paul there. The yard is definitely benefiting in many ways.

jcrossett

Chumono
Reaction score
@Eric Schrader that was awesome. I tried to sign up for emails but it wouldn't let me. Is that site anti phone or is my smart phone being dumb again

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I can always can pick up great info from your blog; thanks for the great material.
Do you or have you worked with p. nigra (European black pine) if so do you treat them the same as JBP?
There's an Austrian Black Pine. Is that the same thing as European? If it is, it is NOT the same as JBP.

JBP is a double flush. Austrian Black Pine is a single flush. They should be treated like a Japanese White Pine.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So... before decandling I am better off fertilizing heavily and getting as much growth as possible?

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Excellent, Eric!

The only thing I do different is I start at the top rather than the bottom. The reason is as I pull needles, they fall on the lower branches. If I start at the bottom, when I pull the ones above, they fall on the lower branches, and I have to go thru and clean them again! By starting at the top and working down, I only have to clean once.
I start half way up the tree on the left side and move diagonally.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
There's an Austrian Black Pine. Is that the same thing as European? If it is, it is NOT the same as JBP.

JBP is a double flush. Austrian Black Pine is a single flush. They should be treated like a Japanese White Pine.
European/Austrian black pine is pinus nigra (black pine). Japanese black pine is pinus thunbergii,

I didn't know you worked with them (p. nigra). @Riversedgebonsai disagrees with your representation about p. nigra.
My recent experience seems to agree with his.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
European/Austrian black pine is pinus nigra (black pine). Japanese black pine is pinus thunbergii,

I didn't know you worked with them (p. nigra). @Riversedgebonsai disagrees with your representation about p. nigra.
My recent experience seems to agree with his.
I don’t work with Austrian Black Pine. I have nothing against them, I just haven’t run across one. Boon has one. He treats it like a JWP. He tells me it’s a single flush.

You know, you can occasionally decandle JWP and they will (might) produce a second set. But nothing like JBP. Can you do it every year? Probably not. With JBP, you can.

Decandling is stressful on the tree. If your tree is very strong, you might be able to get away with it.

Good luck with it!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don’t work with Austrian Black Pine. I have nothing against them, I just haven’t run across one. Boon has one. He treats it like a JWP. He tells me it’s a single flush.

You know, you can occasionally decandle JWP and they will (might) produce a second set. But nothing like JBP. Can you do it every year? Probably not. With JBP, you can.

Decandling is stressful on the tree. If your tree is very strong, you might be able to get away with it.

Good luck with it!
I work with them and have several. They do double flush in good health and i treat them the same as Boon taught me to work on JBP. This is consistent with Tak Yamura, a Bonsai nursery owner who grew both in his nursery for many years in vancouver.
There are several differences that i have noted. The Pinus Nigra does not respond as vigorously as the JBP. ( this is a good sign that although it can be multi-flush it may not be adviseable to do it every year. I tested this by grafting a JBP scion onto a Pinus Nigra and after the scion was well established ( 2 years) i decandled the Pinus Nigra and the JBP scion on the same tree at the same time. ( posted pictures on B-Nut previously). There was a difference in the response with the JBP grafted scion being stronger. But both produced a second flush with the same procedure applied at the same time.
The second difference is that the Pinus Nigra is noted to handle colder conditions than the JBP. The third is that the Pinus Nigra does not do as well in humid conditions, likes it drier.
Bonsai Focus July/August 2018 has a nice write up with pictures of developing a Pinus Nigra. Article by Jean Pierre Reitz.
It should be noted that i do not decandle unless the tree is strong and that goes for my JBP as well.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I work with them and have several. They do double flush in good health and i treat them the same as Boon taught me to work on JBP. This is consistent with Tak Yamura, a Bonsai nursery owner who grew both in his nursery for many years in vancouver.
There are several differences that i have noted. The Pinus Nigra does not respond as vigorously as the JBP. ( this is a good sign that although it can be multi-flush it may not be adviseable to do it every year. I tested this by grafting a JBP scion onto a Pinus Nigra and after the scion was well established ( 2 years) i decandled the Pinus Nigra and the JBP scion on the same tree at the same time. ( posted pictures on B-Nut previously). There was a difference in the response with the JBP grafted scion being stronger. But both produced a second flush with the same procedure applied at the same time.
The second difference is that the Pinus Nigra is noted to handle colder conditions than the JBP. The third is that the Pinus Nigra does not do as well in humid conditions, likes it drier.
Bonsai Focus July/August 2018 has a nice write up with pictures of developing a Pinus Nigra. Article by Jean Pierre Reitz.
It should be noted that i do not decandle unless the tree is strong and that goes for my JBP as well.
Thanks Frank!

Top Bottom