Ninebark

Terilea

Seedling
Reaction score
I found two beautiful types of ninebark. One is Centerglow and the other one Tiny Wine. Has anyone had any luck growing these (or any ninebarks) as bonsai? They will be in the greenhouse during the winter.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hmm...that’s a good question.
Have you dug into search, I haven’t but have thought of it?
Location?
Welcome

Terilea

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm just new to this site. I just found the forum...lol. I'll check the search. Thanks. Oh, and I'm in Michigan.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I’ve wondered about this too actually. I think the wood is a bit different than most trees, maybe more brittle? But it seems like with the right material you should be able to make something!

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It’s in the rose family. Don’t exactly look it though first take, especially regarding pathogen issues typically associated -like non-native cherry trees and such around, being without leaves in this complete lack of rain, not the point..

Perhaps on the fringe of roseaceae? Like one made sweet love to a long toothed family neighbor!?
Sharks n’ Jets!
That’s ridiculous, I don’t understand ninebark, but they are neat

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I admire a dark leaved one down the block.
Fancied taking cuttings.

But the growth habit is a bit too ... Too...

You know how cool the name is?

Opposite of that.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Terilea

Seedling
Reaction score
I’ve wondered about this too actually. I think the wood is a bit different than most trees, maybe more brittle? But it seems like with the right material you should be able to make something!
Im spraying them, including the trunks. Hoping the wood doesn't get too brittle. They are very attractive plants. I'll see how they do. Thanks!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They are great plants that I have loved for many years before the new cultivars were available. It may be a bit awkward as a bonsai, but hey, anything can be done.
I see you are a new poster. If bonsai is new to you, start with something easier and more traditional until you learn to keep plants alive in tiny pots. When you develop the confidence go for it.
I wish you the very best of luck.

Terilea

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement about the plant. I am new to bonsai, but I grow plants...lots of plants, a lot from cuttings. I thought this would be a new challenge. I found them at a really cheap price, so if they don't work out I won't be too heartbroken. But now at least I have hope! Thanks!

Terilea

Seedling
Reaction score
Fancied taking cuttings.

Opposite of that.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce
Hey, crazy is right down my alley. ;)

Terilea

Seedling
Reaction score
It’s in the rose family. Don’t exactly look it though first take, especially regarding pathogen issues typically associated -like non-native cherry trees and such around, being without leaves in this complete lack of rain, not the point..

Perhaps on the fringe of roseaceae? Like one made sweet love to a long toothed family neighbor!?
Sharks n’ Jets!
That’s ridiculous, I don’t understand ninebark, but they are neat
I guess i can see the rose family because of the wood. I'll remember that. Thanks!

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I guess i can see the rose family because of the wood. I'll remember that. Thanks!
Pics? The flowers definitely say rose! In a round about way i was saying they seem tough, resilient to the things that seem to get at others -at least in nursery cans. You said you were watering the trunks, I’m guessing leaves as well -I would avoid this if I were you given the family and you not being in an arid are, and this I don’t think is the “brittle” @Mike Hennigan was referring to above, and either way water will not solve it, only potentially invite issues.

I think brittle would refer to how easily lignified branches may break. This is very important should you choose to bend branches.

For example, boxwood have this golden window where you can wire them without branches dying down the road or even snapping -before they get to set/mature. This is valuable information because a broken branch can break your heart. Some species can take a lot, others can not outside of windows of opportunity.

Here’s a photo of a nursery-found boxwood pushed way beyond its limits for reference -this dieback was not evident till a couple weeks later...I knew it at the time too is the sting, hubris won and we both payed :rolleyes: :cool:...ain’t ever getting that first branch back.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Fancied taking cuttings.

Opposite of that.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce
Too lollipop? Dark leaf one with exfoliating bark, shazzam that’s the one I saw.
Will the leaves reduce!!? They should right!?

Terilea

Seedling
Reaction score
Pics? The flowers definitely say rose! In a round about way i was saying they seem tough, resilient to the things that seem to get at others -at least in nursery cans. You said you were watering the trunks, I’m guessing leaves as well -I would avoid this if I were you given the family and you not being in an arid are, and this I don’t think is the “brittle” @Mike Hennigan was referring to above, and either way water will not solve it, only potentially invite issues.

I think brittle would refer to how easily lignified branches may break. This is very important should you choose to bend branches.

For example, boxwood have this golden window where you can wire them without branches dying down the road or even snapping -before they get to set/mature. This is valuable information because a broken branch can break your heart. Some species can take a lot, others can not outside of windows of opportunity.

Here’s a photo of a nursery-found boxwood pushed way beyond its limits for reference -this dieback was not evident till a couple weeks later...I knew it at the time too is the sting, hubris won and we both payed :rolleyes: :cool:...ain’t ever getting that first branch back.
View attachment 264742

Terilea

Seedling
Reaction score
The first is the Tiny Wine. Second is the Centerglow. Both very lollipop. I haven't gotten any flowers yet.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The dwarf growing varieties definitely have bonsai potential. Several in the Wisconsin Bonsai Society have them. I personally do no so I have no photos.

The "wild type" species form tends to have long internodes and be a lanky grower. The genetic dwarfs solve this problem. I like the wine colored leaf varieties.

Top Bottom