Nire Elm

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's a Japanese Nire Elm that I have been working on since day one which goes back to 1991. In my bonsai youth I almost lost the design of this tree by letting it get way too bushy. the redevelopment has taken around five years to complete, and I'm pretty much satisfied with it now. I just hope I don't lose that far left tree, it's just hanging on by one simple root as you can notice how far it's leaning over.:(

Attachments

• nelm12.jpg
    nelm12.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 159

J W

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
With the time you have worked this tree do you think it would be wise to help the little tree out and secure it and help it in growing a stronger root structure? I could be wrong but it seem's you are just watching it to see if it fall's over? The tree's health is more important than it being in show quality at all times.

With the time you have taking to trim it over the year's I'm sure your aware of it. hahaa Just tired of the Will War and wanted to say something that's beneficial to a tree and learning. The ego war's are getting old once again.

Good Luck,

J W

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
With the time you have worked this tree do you think it would be wise to help the little tree out and secure it and help it in growing a stronger root structure? I could be wrong but it seem's you are just watching it to see if it fall's over? The tree's health is more important than it being in show quality at all times.

With the time you have taking to trim it over the year's I'm sure your aware of it. hahaa Just tired of the Will War and wanted to say something that's beneficial to a tree and learning. The ego war's are getting old once again.

Good Luck,

J W

So you bring it into this thread? That's helpful.

As to the trees. Not to focus on the tradition of numbers in a group planting but to point out the fact that you have four trunks, or four trees growing together in the same pot, considered a major No-No by the Japanese and most people who have trained or learned from that tradition. That being said I would consider layering or removing the small leaning tree at the next repot. A four tree group, especially when the trunks are so visible, seldom work well together without looking contrived.

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Vance,
I gave up on the traditional look for this tree when I realized a few years back that it got away from me in the branch system. Ch. elms of which this a product of, take a lot of daily work to keep them from looking bushy and more tree like, more time than I have to devote to one species of tree since I have five ch. elms in my collection.. That being said I decided when I did the restyle, to just see where the tree wants to go and maybe help it along. I know the rules are for an odd number of trees, but these trees have been joined together since I bought them and back then I wasn't aware of any rules. A few years after the restyling I decided I would go with the tight foliage and more of the chinese penjing look and not worry about the rules. Had I decided to with the more Japanese style and have the branches more open and separated, I probably would have done the three tree look.

As for waiting for the tree to fall over, come on. The only way that tree will be more apt to stand on its own is if I prop it up with something or wire it to the tree next to it, both of which I'm not willing do because of my own personal viewing aesthetics. The internal root system is very good, but the main top roots which are all entangled together are what holds the trees together. They have been that way for probably twenty years,and after watering them for that long, that one decided to rot away. It's no big thing, the underlining roots will continue to hold them together I'm sure, only not as well as I would like. ;)

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Vance,
I gave up on the traditional look for this tree when I realized a few years back that it got away from me in the branch system. Ch. elms of which this a product of, take a lot of daily work to keep them from looking bushy and more tree like, more time than I have to devote to one species of tree since I have five ch. elms in my collection.. That being said I decided when I did the restyle, to just see where the tree wants to go and maybe help it along. I know the rules are for an odd number of trees, but these trees have been joined together since I bought them and back then I wasn't aware of any rules. A few years after the restyling I decided I would go with the tight foliage and more of the chinese penjing look and not worry about the rules. Had I decided to with the more Japanese style and have the branches more open and separated, I probably would have done the three tree look.

As for waiting for the tree to fall over, come on. The only way that tree will be more apt to stand on its own is if I prop it up with something or wire it to the tree next to it, both of which I'm not willing do because of my own personal viewing aesthetics. The internal root system is very good, but the main top roots which are all entangled together are what holds the trees together. They have been that way for probably twenty years,and after watering them for that long, that one decided to rot away. It's no big thing, the underlining roots will continue to hold them together I'm sure, only not as well as I would like. ;)

I hope you did not think I wished to pillory your tree. That was not my intent. If you like the tree the way it is, and for the reasons you have listed above, who am I to say its wrong? Make it the best you can.

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No Vance,
I know you didn't it mean anything but a usual observation. Thanks for that and for chiming in with some helpful advice.:D

J W

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I just hope I don't lose that far left tree, it's just hanging on by one simple root as you can notice how far it's leaning over.:(

I was just making a comment to this sentence. Of course I don't know what the root's condition's are with out you describing them in detail. I was trying to be helpful in saving something you obviously enjoy.

I was talking to a person previously that tries to keep his tree's in show condition's at all times and cant figure out why his tree's are unhealthy and he losses branches and root's. I assumed that might be the case here... My apologizes.

Vance my apologizes also...

JW

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
J W
I was pretty sure you were just trying to be helpful, but the internet has ways of not being able to discern a persons real thoughts sometimes.

As for keeping trees in show condition all the time, it's something I've been doing most of my bonsai life with no ill effects. Given the fact there might be a few species where that might be a problem because of constant pruning or what have you, I don't see why it should hurt any tree really. Part of keeping it in show condition means also keeping it as happy and healthy as possible by constant feeding and being aware of any fungus or insect problems or any undue stress such as this terrible heat we have here in Tx. every summer for such a long period of time. :mad:
Thanks

J W

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Thomas J,

I know what your saying with all of the bashing lately... I have been taught or have been under the influence of letting my tree's grow out time to time or I should say that I have worked them enough and they need to heal from the process. I understand how fast elm's get away from you, I have several. I completely agree with everything else you said about health and I can only imagine the stress from the heat in Texas. I live in Northern California and for the most part have a lot of mid 80's low 90's and cool night's.

Thanks,

JW

Top Bottom