Nire Japanese Elm

Mbpauley

Yamadori
Reaction score
I saw this on NEBG last night and made the purchase. Hopefully it will be here by the end of the week.

http://www.nebonsai.com/mm5/merchan...duct_Code=78NireJapaneseElm&Category_Code=BON

77-nire-elm.jpg

The trunk and bark on this one is awesome. Looks like there were only two available and I was lucky enough to see it just in time, as the other had already been sold.

Any information about this plant would be greatly appreciated. I can't seem to find much about them anywhere online. As far as styling goes, any comments are welcome. I'll probably just stare at this one for a year before I make any decisions, although I see just the slightest hint of reverse taper right after the 90 degree bend in the trunk that I may want to resolve by choosing a new leader. I probably will also take a few cuttings from smaller branches; normally I wouldn't bother taking twig cuttings, but this plant seems somewhat uncommon, so it may be a good idea to propagate.

*edit: Online sources say that Nire-keyaki is a dwarf cultivar of Chinese elm... Still looking for more detailed info and advice, though.

Last edited:

vdeschamps

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Beautiful bonsai! And thank you for letting us know about this website. They have great trees!

Mbpauley

Yamadori
Reaction score
vdes,
I've never personally bought any trees from them before, but I've read very good things in other places on this forum. No doubt they have some great material. Probably much more to see in person.

Maybe I was a little quick to be stumped by this; the listing said nire JAPANESE elm, but after searching a bit more, I found a couple places saying that Nire-keyaki is just a dwarf cultivar of good old Chinese elm. Maybe it was listed as Japanese elm simply because it was imported from Japan?

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I like that tree a lot, but I would plant it in a shallower pot. I am still new to this, but I think it would look a lot more powerful and imposing in a pot with less depth.

Mbpauley

Yamadori
Reaction score
I like that tree a lot, but I would plant it in a shallower pot. I am still new to this, but I think it would look a lot more powerful and imposing in a pot with less depth.

Absolutely, I love the glaze on this pot but it does seem a bit deep. For now though, the deeper pot I think is a better choice for growing it out a little. From what I've read, they grow pretty slowly. I will definitely be keeping an eye out for something shallower in the future.

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Absolutely, I love the glaze on this pot but it does seem a bit deep. For now though, the deeper pot I think is a better choice for growing it out a little. From what I've read, they grow pretty slowly. I will definitely be keeping an eye out for something shallower in the future.

The second picture seems to alleviate the small reverse taper you were talking about as well. I will leave styling advice to someone who knows what they are talking about though. :p

marcosolo

Mame
Reaction score
The second picture is without a doubt the better front.....The base looks stronger, bark looks better, and ramification appears more extensive than from this view....I see this looking great in a more shallow, round, and glazed pot....A deep blue might look good....Just my two cents....Nice Shohin though....I'm curious on what you shelled out for this?..The site removed the price, once it was purchased I presume.....

Last edited:

Mbpauley

Yamadori
Reaction score
The second picture is without a doubt the better front.....The base looks stronger, bark looks better, and ramification appears more extensive than from this view....I see this looking great in a more shallow, round, and glazed pot....A deep blue might look good....Just my two cents....Nice Shonin though....I'm curious on what you shelled out for this?..The site removed the price, once it was purchased I presume.....

I was thinking round as well, probably would accent the gentle curve in the trunk a bit nicer. As for the front, I personally like the first picture just a little better, but either side could definitely work. I'll have to see it in person.

It was listed for $165... About what I paid for a larger stock satsuki a few months ago. Trying to purchase fewer lesser quality plants so I can have some decent material. I figured that the price wasn't so bad since it isn't just your common ulmus, plus the base has such nice movement... Anyway, they seem to have a pretty legitimate business over there, so I'm happy to support them in any case.

marcosolo

Mame
Reaction score
I was thinking round as well, probably would accent the gentle curve in the trunk a bit nicer. As for the front, I personally like the first picture just a little better, but either side could definitely work. I'll have to see it in person.

It was listed for $165... About what I paid for a larger stock satsuki a few months ago. Trying to purchase fewer lesser quality plants so I can have some decent material. I figured that the price wasn't so bad since it isn't just your common ulmus, plus the base has such nice movement... Anyway, they seem to have a pretty legitimate business over there, so I'm happy to support them in any case.

$165 seems fair for the cultivar......And yeah, a round shallow pot would look killer...

Mbpauley

Yamadori
Reaction score
The second picture seems to alleviate the small reverse taper you were talking about as well. I will leave styling advice to someone who knows what they are talking about though. :p

The reverse taper does seem a bit less noticeable from the second picture. The problem is that from that angle there appears to be a low branch coming directly out toward the viewer. When it arrives I'll take a few pictures from other angles so you can get a better idea of the tree's current structure.

The other tree went to "W.R." Somebody else on this forum, possibly?

Mbpauley

Yamadori
Reaction score
The tree arrived last night. Packing peanuts did their job; no broken twigs whatsoever. Too dark to take pictures last night, but here they are now. After seeing the tree up close, I do actually prefer the side that is in the 2nd picture of my original post. The bark is just a little more interesting. However, there definitely is a bit of reverse taper right after the first bend in the trunk. It's a little more visible looking down from above. I took pictures at 45 degree turns, hopefully when I upload them they won't be all jumbled around...0315131148.jpg0315131149.jpg0315131149a.jpg0315131149b.jpg0315131149c.jpg

Mbpauley

Yamadori
Reaction score
Last 3. Two are close up on the reverse taper I'm concerned about. The third is the chop I'm considering. I would use the branch emerging on the left as the new leader. The tree would end up being maybe 1 1/2" taller once I regrow the canopy.

Luckily, the bulge I would like to cut off looks like it could be the start of another nice shohin since it has some taper of it's own and a leader coming off of it with some movement. I will probably use this as a cutting.

Let me know what you guys think.

Mbpauley

Yamadori
Reaction score
One last thing. The bark around the base appears to have a little bit of rot going on. How can I treat/deal with this without digging into the bark? Will it subside on its own if I take care only to water the soil and not get any moisture onto that area?

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
nice looking tree, I bought a, hopefully, similar one that I should receive in a couple of days.

Hope ti will be that good ;)

Top Bottom