Nire Japanese Elm

Mbpauley

Yamadori
Reaction score
nice looking tree, I bought a, hopefully, similar one that I should receive in a couple of days.

Hope ti will be that good ;)

If it's from NEBG, you will surely be happy with your purchase. Hopefully it does well during the shipping process since it most likely is already leafed out by now.

Unfortunately this tree has become a casualty of a squirrel or rat... I brought it and several other treeS to my father's house while I was having some landscaping done in the backyard because I wasn't really comfortable leaving it out in front of the house. Lots of neighbor kids and such. The squirrel or whatever chewed away all the bark on the bottom 1 1/2" of the tree and halfway through the biggest root, so now it has some pretty bad inverse taper. I took cuttings of the canopy and left a shoot just in case it recovers...

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That's too bad about the tree, it's a sweet little thing. I've been eyeing those at NEB for a while now. Hope you are able to revive it and solve the taper issue.

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
*edit: Online sources say that Nire-keyaki is a dwarf cultivar of Chinese elm... Still looking for more detailed info and advice, though.

ヤマニレ 《山楡》 【やまにれ】 (n) (obsc) (uk) (See 秋楡) Chinese elm (Ulmus parvifolia
ハルニレ 《春楡》 【はるにれ】 (n) (uk) Japanese elm (Ulmus davidiana var. japonica)

Definitely no expert so do not quote me, but I have seen lots of variations in Japanese written with Nire (Like Akinire 秋楡. So I do not think it is because it is imported from Japan.

Emrys

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thought I would share this very similar tree I purchased from NEB as well.

As advertised
image.jpg

As received
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Emrys

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
No. They are not grafted to the best of my knowledge.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is some of the bark fissures natural for this cultivar, or are some old wire scars?

Top Bottom