Nishiki Willow

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A local nursery (not a bonsai nursery) was having a good sale so I took advantage of it and bought a dappled, or "Nishiki" willow for practically nothing. I don't know much about willow bonsai, but I know people root huge cuttings with little effort, so I figured I could hack it up without too much concern. I just hope it doesn't throw a bunch of shoots that don't survive the impending cold.

Here's a pic of what I did:

IMG_2711.PNG

I don't have a real plan for any of the current structure, and I will probably end up chopping the apex even more. I just felt like I was getting carried away so I stopped.

I'm open to suggestions. Or if you think I went too hard and it's gonna die, feel free to express that concern. This is a learning tree.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When you have a base worth drooling over....

Even a dappled willow.....

For God sake go slow!

That is raw as hell!

And at this point....I would find a friend with a greenhouse to keep it alive this winter....
Or pray, or cross your fingers and toes all the way through spring.....or dance a jig, or...

Bless your heart!.......

It's gonna die!

I hope it lives....

That is a wicked sick base.

Wicked.....wicked sick!

Sorce

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh jeez. Those are all the things I was worried about hearing, hahaha. I think I can get it into a greenhouse, though. I'm gonna cross my fingers & toes too though.

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm thinking about building a mini greenhouse just big enough for this guy and maybe a few more. If I do that, would it be helpful to have a thermometer and a heat source like a heat mat in there?

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
DUDE! That's one, if not, the best base I have seen posted from a regular nursery! Good starting size too man.

Why in God's green hell did you start with choppong not knowing how they handle the abuse? Especially approaching winter.

This is a beautiful material and I really hope it makes it through winter. Would love to see this develope!

I'm green with jealousy:D

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why in God's green hell did you start with choppong not knowing how they handle the abuse? Especially approaching winter

Ahhhh I know. I immediately regret it! I have no teachers :( But now I know to consult the forum before I even get near one!

I am determined to keep this thing alive.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Ahhhh I know. I immediately regret it! I have no teachers :( But now I know to consult the forum before I even get near one!

I am determined to keep this thing alive.
You are not alone brother.

I have read Crepe Myrtles are built like tanks soooooo...
Earlier this spring I got a Crepe Myrtle stump from Florida and did a repot about 2 months after first potting!
And on the repot I cut the root flat (tap root was bigger than the stump) leaving only a few strands of small roots.
I don't think I left any feeder roots at all haha. After care was non existence too :confused:.
Did not treat with fungicide and insecticide. Noticed a lot of mites too. Luckily it didn't die and grew foliage resembling broccoli:cool:.
There are feeder roots coming out the bottom of the colander now thought. Hope it makes it as it's one hell of an ugly stump :)

Read up and take good care of this beauty! And report back with good news!

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I need a game plan for this tree, but I have too many questions. Am I trying to delay or prevent dormancy? Am I trying to keep the emerging shoots from freezing off? Am I just trying to keep the roots from freezing?

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Salix integra ' Hakuro Nishiki 'is not a good choice for bonsai in my opinion:

- unexpected dieback of branches are very common after the winter
- like most salix, they don't heal well: I think that with the hard pruning you did, most of the plant will be dead in a couple of months

Other willows are less temperamental but still rather difficult.

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone

- like most salix, they don't heal well: I think that with the hard pruning you did, most of the plant will be dead in a couple of months

Well that's good and bad news I guess. If I lose it, it will be a good lesson learned.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Well that's good and bad news I guess. If I lose it, it will be a good lesson learned.

Here they don't seem to drop as for others and I mean all species. I find they can winter good even totally covered in snow. What we did learn however that potted they must have solid wind protection and never allowed to dry out fully. When we had several at the larger property they all had quick thin plywood boxed sides and sometimes even filled up with snow and we had no damage.
Another thought on the subject is I have seen much older acclimated potted willows do fine with no special protection... age I guess, but it does not seem to apply with older trees in the ground. Confusing tree in many ways :confused:

Grimmy

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
That's what I'm talking about man. Good job on the after care :)

There should be a thumbs up emoticon.

Now your next move is to ship it to me for the price of FREE :D

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's what I'm talking about man. Good job on the after care :)

There should be a thumbs up emoticon.

Now your next move is to ship it to me for the price of FREE :D

Haha thanks! I'm excited to see how much growth I get this season. The leaves are beautiful on this thing. Each one is like a flower petal.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Against all odds... the zombie willow lives.

With our up and down kind of winter kind of summer I noticed something in the growing patterns of Willows(a few kinds) that may help you and others experience better luck with overall health and a good Spring comeback.

They seem to wake up here far earlier then many trees here in the ground and in pots. If there is any warm spell during the normal winter they will quickly green up and show leaf/leaf bud.
If a normal winter cold pattern developes after that they will drop leaf and revert to the darker winter color in general. When that happens the smallest/thinnest branches harden off and will die back but honest if they are trimmed prior to winter that is MINIMAL and really of no consequence. That thin/leggy growth would normally be trimmed off anyways, at least by me.

Either way if you shelter your potted after such a warming trend they do just fine in an unheated shed...

Grimmy

Top Bottom