Niwaki Scots Pine "Pom Pom"

amac

Seed
Reaction score
First of all I'd like to apologize that this isn't really about bonsai and I don't own one, also I know a lot of people have a disdain for this type of tree. I am not blind to their awkwardness, but for better or worse they're what I have. I appreciate any feedback, but if this isn't for you I certainly don't won't to take up your time. There's very little on the web for niwaki/topiary pine technique, but I have found a lot of helpful information about similar bonsai techniques here and on the web and have gone through many posts and videos pertaining to my questions and am hoping someone could help clarify some techniques to get my trees in better condition. The main goal is to thin out the centers, promote back budding and better branching structure. The problem is after a couple years of just pinching candles for shape the centers of the "poms" are way too dense and have way too many candles and branches to just keep pinching. I have 4 of them, but this is the one that needs the most work.

20170526_183032.jpg

Exhibit A.
What would you recommend for thinning this out, there are quite of few of these near the centers of pads, ideally it should have 3-6 branches, depending on the space to fill in. Another goal would be to encourage back budding farther down so I eventually replace this mess.
20170527_152939.jpg

Exhibit B.
What would be an appropriate amount to prune come fall 10%-30%? On some pads I'm debating whether to remove lower branches and splay out the centers to essentially start fresh and get better ramification. The yellow is what I would keep and red would be removed.
20170526_192937a.jpg

Here's a few other questions...

To encourage back budding closer to the trunk I'm reading to pinch the candles now and then in July cut the large candles just above this years growth? Won't that kill that part of the branch? Or do I leave the large candles now and then cut them? Does this also mean I also wait to remove excess candles, say if there is 3 and I only want 2?

There are a lot of conflicting posts on needles. Should I pull, cut or leave them... why and when? I'm assuming I should remove some in the super dense areas to get light in.

For male flowers, do I still have to leave a few needles above the 1-2" 20170526_183032.jpg 20170527_152939.jpg 20170526_192937a.jpg with nothing, am I correct that if I pinch or make a cut on new growth without leaving a few candles it will surely die?

I realize that some of the questions may be hard to answer because the goal isn't quite the same, but any advice to better the tree without causing damage is appreciated.

amac

Seed
Reaction score
I'm in Minnesota, zone 4. I should also note I knew nothing about pines when I got these and was niave to think all they would need is shearing as advertised. This is year 3.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just cut shoots off when the needles have hardened off.
The candles are long gone for this year.
They are now shoots.
We don't decandle Scots. That's a term used by people who have Japanese Black Pines.

amac

Seed
Reaction score
Just cut shoots off when the needles have hardened off.
The candles are long gone for this year.
They are now shoots.
We don't decandle Scots. That's a term used by people who have Japanese Black Pines.
I don't think I mentioned decandling, unless I were thinning them out.

amac

Seed
Reaction score
Oops, end of my post should read leaving a few needles, not candles.

"am I correct that if I pinch or make a cut on new growth without leaving a few candles it will surely die?"

Top Bottom