No growth maple

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have a pretty good sized Ryusen maple that produced a lot of new growth last year, but this year it leafed out nicely in the spring, but has not produced any new growth this year at all. The foliage is good etc, but absolutely no growth. It gets watered and fed as it should and in morning sun. I am assuming that it might be root bound. Would that be correct? Thanks for help. Peter

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Is it that hard to look? The harder it is to get out of the pot to see, the more likely it really needs to come out.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
How is the drainage when watering? I had to thin mine this summer it was so thick with foliage. This was after I thinned mine out, it pushed more growth. I'm allowing a new apex to develop so that area is growing out to thicken. Did you thin yours if it was heavy in leaf this summer? I did mine I'm thinking...was it late June or early July.
Ryusen Maple July 2020.jpg

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Yes, I can pop it out to look and take a picture and post. Mine is a duplicate of yours Darlene, but no growth. I'll get pictures. Thanks!

Bonds Guy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’m having the same issue with my arakawa maple. I know its not root bound, bc I repotted it eariler this year when I received it. I’m thinking maybe I shocked it when I put it in full sun for a few days, bc the bark went from green to redish

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
have you used any chemicals on it this season?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I’m having the same issue with my arakawa maple. I know its not root bound, bc I repotted it eariler this year when I received it. I’m thinking maybe I shocked it when I put it in full sun for a few days, bc the bark went from green to redish
Reddish is a phase of growth, not a problem. Next time, dappled shade after repot.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
SOUnds like pot-bound to me.
I would not pull it out of the pot; All actions to the rootball does a little damage. Go by drainage and growth. Growth is 0 so most likely..

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
None of my arakawa push more than once a year. Almost like pine!

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Brian, this maple budded out and then never grew anymore. The pot is a bonsai training pot, and the entire bottom of it is a grid for drainage. the tree is in well draining soil as you can see. I popped it out of the pot and think I see the problem...lots of blackened roots...to much water I would guess. Tell me what to do now if you would. Thanks for help!

Attachments

• IMG_1141.jpg
    IMG_1141.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1143.jpg
    IMG_1143.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1145.jpg
    IMG_1145.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1146.jpg
    IMG_1146.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1147.jpg
    IMG_1147.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1148.jpg
    IMG_1148.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 30

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Brian, this maple budded out and then never grew anymore. The pot is a bonsai training pot, and the entire bottom of it is a grid for drainage. the tree is in well draining soil as you can see. I popped it out of the pot and think I see the problem...lots of blackened roots...to much water I would guess. Tell me what to do now if you would. Thanks for help!
It’s fine, they just quit growing in the end of summer. You can see healthy roots, it’s draining, and just coasting through the rest of the year. I wouldn’t do a thing to it. My JMs are doing the exact same thing, and I’m just watering and feeding them right now. No prob.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hmmmm. Well it looked like Darlene's last year with all kinds of new growth. Sure wonder what no growth this year. These damned maples. They always seem to have a problem. It drives me crazy!

Bonds Guy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Reddish is a phase of growth, not a problem. Next time, dappled shade after repot.

I should’ve said slip pot, bc it wasn’t exactly a full repot. I just took it out its original pot loosen the soil and placed it into a bigger pot. But thanks for the tip

Top Bottom