No...it's not diseased

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That was the answer I recieved when I asked of a winged elm on a bonsai group the first time I seen one.(It had started forming wings...) Now...I'm intriqued. I am curious...are they a recently used species for bonsai...or have they been around and I just was unaware of them and recently more are using them?

So...anyways...I got this little ROR in training from Jason Schley. I love ROR...and I'm not sure I can have the size I really think WOW's me...because of my shoulder. But this one with the movement of the root elm makes up for it. (Assuming it's a root that was grown out for a tree by the looks of it.) It's quirky...and I love that about it. Will have to possibly add more raffia when it rots away if the roots haven't attached themselves. But...I'm fine with that.

13645128_1217133278307672_1085265137675660132_n.jpg

Here it is naked...
MjYxRDU2NUE1NUM1QzgzOTNDNkY6YmQ5M2VjOTFjM2M4MDM4OTU5M2Q5MDI0MDNkYTU0ZTM6Ojo6OjA=.jpg

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That was the answer I recieved when I asked of a winged elm on a bonsai group the first time I seen one.(It had started forming wings...) Now...I'm intriqued. I am curious...are they a recently used species for bonsai...or have they been around and I just was unaware of them and recently more are using them?

So...anyways...I got this little ROR in training from Jason Schley. I love ROR...and I'm not sure I can have the size I really think WOW's me...because of my shoulder. But this one with the movement of the root elm makes up for it. (Assuming it's a root that was grown out for a tree by the looks of it.) It's quirky...and I love that about it. Will have to possibly add more raffia when it rots away if the roots haven't attached themselves. But...I'm fine with that.

View attachment 112596

Here it is naked...
View attachment 112597
I can wait until it's completely naked!
Like when that grass skirt comes off, YIPEEEE!!!!

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Why didn't you use plastic or something more durable? Is it better to use raffia (or more easy to apply?)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Why didn't you use plastic or something more durable? Is it better to use raffia (or more easy to apply?)

Good question! This was purchased this way,from a bonsai nursery...It will be shipped out when we arrive back from our mini trip reprieve to just regroup after losing our two bulldogs within two months time. I may...or may not wrap it in plastic...I'm thinking he did tightly wrapped raffia...I was told once it rots off...to redo it if the roots hadn't attached to the rock as of yet. I know plastic does encourage more roots...and I've chewed on the fact I may add some when it arrives. But, I most likely will keep the raffia thing going as well.

EDIT: I may also next spring...repot it into a deeper pot and bury the entire rock in the process...possibly rewrap it first in new raffia. Leaving the existing in place.

Last edited:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Good question! This was purchased this way,from a bonsai nursery...It will be shipped out when we arrive back from our mini trip reprieve to just regroup after losing our two bulldogs within two months time. I may...or may not wrap it in plastic...I'm thinking he did tightly wrapped raffia...I was told once it rots off...to redo it if the roots hadn't attached to the rock as of yet. I know plastic does encourage more roots...and I've chewed on the fact I may add some when it arrives. But, I most likely will keep the raffia thing going as well.

EDIT: I may also next spring...repot it into a deeper pot and bury the entire rock in the process...possibly rewrap it first in new raffia. Leaving the existing in place.

I have the material(free) and an idea or two that will simplify that whole process for you and allow you to leave in that container while(in my opinion) looking pretty darn good. Problem is I have no good way to explain it typing, and cannot draw with my arm as is. I am certain you will like the idea(s) and the ease of application though. If interested give me a call anytime before 4PM on work days and I will fill you in. That is a cool winger! I am happy for you!

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have the material(free) and an idea or two that will simplify that whole process for you and allow you to leave in that container while(in my opinion) looking pretty darn good. Problem is I have no good way to explain it typing, and cannot draw with my arm as is. I am certain you will like the idea(s) and the ease of application though. If interested give me a call anytime before 4PM on work days and I will fill you in. That is a cool winger! I am happy for you!

Grimmy
I've just jumped on for a brief time...I am trying to gather things for our church rummage sale...along with getting things packed for our mini trip. Dog bathed...and such since she somehow got syrup on her head. (No one is fessing up to that one.) Tomorrow I help setting up the rummage sale...and we leave Thursday. Also...I may need you to send me a PM with your number. I doubt if I still have it. Not sure where I wrote it down before...

If I remember...I will call you sometime next week when we arrive back home.

Sorry to hear that arm/shoulder is still giving you a run for your money.

Thanks...Grimmy!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've just jumped on for a brief time...I am trying to gather things for our church rummage sale...along with getting things packed for our mini trip. Dog bathed...and such since she somehow got syrup on her head. (No one is fessing up to that one.) Tomorrow I help setting up the rummage sale...and we leave Thursday. Also...I may need you to send me a PM with your number. I doubt if I still have it. Not sure where I wrote it down before...

If I remember...I will call you sometime next week when we arrive back home.

Thanks...Grimmy!

No worries and enjoy your special time! I will just add my number to an old PM for future use next week. The reason I offer is I have a LOT more of the material to make that work pro for you then I will ever use as I seem to always over purchase supplies :rolleyes: Better to see some more of it used and not have you by "bags" of items to make a smaller project work nicely!

Grimmy

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
May want to pot it into something deeper and/or wider to let those roots grow and grip the rock. Could take a while in such a small pot.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
May want to pot it into something deeper and/or wider to let those roots grow and grip the rock. Could take a while in such a small pot.
And to get a lot root growth, it needs top growth, too!

If it stays pinched back, well, it stagnates.

What it needs to be allowed to do is grow out, then cut back. Grow out, cut back. Repeatedly.

The growing out will thicken the roots. Cutting back keeps the size in check. Over time, as the roots thicken, they will begin to "clasp" the rock.

If kept pinched, the size stays small, but the roots never thicken and never "attach" to the rock.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
And to get a lot root growth, it needs top growth, too!

If it stays pinched back, well, it stagnates.

What it needs to be allowed to do is grow out, then cut back. Grow out, cut back. Repeatedly.

The growing out will thicken the roots. Cutting back keeps the size in check. Over time, as the roots thicken, they will begin to "clasp" the rock.

If kept pinched, the size stays small, but the roots never thicken and never "attach" to the rock.

plus taper

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A few comments from Jason...

Well, letting the branches grow a bit will not only help thicken them, but also aid in the roots gripping Stone

I was kind of letting it grow looser, but not unrestricted

Was trimmed up for shipping I presume...the photo on his bench showed a very grown out tree. I can see fresh cuts on what is there now.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

View attachment 112596

Here it is naked...
View attachment 112597
Winged elms are pretty common bonsai material. I know many people who have tried them. Yours doesn't seem to have the corky wings that make winged elms, winged...Cedar elm and a few other elms can get similar cork on fast growing dominant twigs an branches, but winged elms are champions at it. A mature winged elm looks...odd...because of their dense heavy ridging. The cork can also be frustrating to work with because it gets in the way of wiring. You can shave it down with the edge of a pair a shears, but it just gets so tedious. The small the twig, the more frustrating it is.:eek::)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Winged elms are pretty common bonsai material. I know many people who have tried them. Yours doesn't seem to have the corky wings that make winged elms, winged...Cedar elm and a few other elms can get similar cork on fast growing dominant twigs an branches, but winged elms are champions at it. A mature winged elm looks...odd...because of their dense heavy ridging. The cork can also be frustrating to work with because it gets in the way of wiring. You can shave it down with the edge of a pair a shears, but it just gets so tedious. The small the twig, the more frustrating it is.:eek::)
Thanks! Finally some light shed on that question. Assuming it's a young tree from a root so the reason...it's not winged.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@rockm curious if a dremel would make work easier...

I posted on this...and it's not showing up. But that happened the other day than showed up later. So will not repeat my other comments at this time...until later.

But thanks for your knowledge! I've been so curious about if it was a new species being used.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dremel on the ridges? No, I would think that would be a disaster ;-) The wings can be pushed off with your fingers too, just takes time. Bigger collected trees can get big ridges of cork on twigs that only break half off. The edge of a pruning shear run lightly lengthwise along the branch can get rid of the worst of it.

I had a big nasty collected one for a while. It wasn't all that great. Other elms are more attractive and easier to work with and more responsive.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I think it's an elm root cutting that has been trained into a tree. By the shape of it. Which explains lack of taper. Which I can live with...the quirkiness works for me. Also seeing I'm not alone...

Look here...
adamaskwhy.com/2013/02/06/elm-root-cuttings/

yes but this line of thinking is what can set a great bonsai away from something being meh

also you linked a post to where he has let it grow out and cut back

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Dremel on the ridges? No, I would think that would be a disaster ;-) The wings can be pushed off with your fingers too, just takes time. Bigger collected trees can get big ridges of cork on twigs that only break half off. The edge of a pruning shear run lightly lengthwise along the branch can get rid of the worst of it.

I had a big nasty collected one for a while. It wasn't all that great. Other elms are more attractive and easier to work with and more responsive.

Well...I think they look quirky...worse case if I change my mind...I have FB auctions. I only bought it for its quirkiness I see now. Thinking it will become ugly with the wings making it even more peculiar. I sort of like that sort of thing.

Example...my ugly winter scarecrow. Funny story...my husband asked if I had bought it for a gift. I laughed and said...it's butt ugly who would I give it to!?! I bought it for me.
FB_IMG_1470251671080.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
yes but this line of thinking is what can set a great bonsai away from something being meh

also you linked a post to where he has let it grow out and cut back

Well...it can be a meh...I like it's quirky character. It also will be a ROR. So not just a meh tree in a pot. But a meh on a rock. Lol it appeals to me. I can grasp it may not be for everyone. That Adam also found it quirky to add to his trees. Tells me someone sees what I see. So I am in a small group that will enjoy it on their bench. It's a flaw...I can live with. If it didn't have the movement then...no. But the movement in my minds eye...work for me.

Again...Jason told me to do just that. (Grow and cut back) That is the plan. It's relatively new and in training...not a finished tree by any means.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The vast majority of my trees are anything but traditional. I like unusual, but there's quirky and cute, and there's pain-in-the-ass, makes-me-want-to-scream, I've-got-better-trees-to-work-on quirky.

Top Bottom