No leaf drop Quince

Wills612

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
No winter silhouette for my Chinese quince this year. Leaves are still on and green even after freezes and brutal storm weather in norther California. What gives? Should i defoliate or let it go? It’s already putting out some new growth on old wood, and I would like to prune before spring season and with leaves off. C5091EA5-25B8-4204-B596-D0A46E916195.jpeg8BF83592-2E5D-48CB-94D9-96C0ED3F8149.jpeg5949650A-3CE6-4A37-9226-F30A4844DA24.jpeg

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is my case... the ones in pot losing leave but still retain a few. The ones in the ground I covered in plastic bag during the hard freeze still have most of the leave. I just let the nature takes it course.

Bricker918

Mame
Reaction score
Mine changed colors and a few fell off but the rest stayed. I just plucked them off a few weeks ago and it’s already budding out

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
My Chinese quince would often hold leaves right through winter then started growing very early in spring. Old leaves gradually fall as the new ones open. Finally in desperation I repotted in late winter with leaves still on - no problems so they do not appear to be too fussy about when root pruning is done.

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
My Chinese quince would often hold leaves right through winter then started growing very early in spring. Old leaves gradually fall as the new ones open.

Yup! I'm in Chico, so very similar climate as OP and Shibui. My healthy (non-sun damaged) Chinese quince hold onto their leaves through winter.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Mine usually stay on all winter but when we hit 2 degrees F last month they fell off fast. Can’t wajt ti see how the rest of the trees took that much cold air.

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
My Quince lost all its leaves during the 10-15 degree cold spell in December, it was still holding 30% of it foliage before the hard freeze.

Top Bottom