No/Low Nitrogen Fertilizer

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't know, I've never measured it. So I really don't know if the pressure is low at the hose bib, or if it's the length of hose (which can affect the way these things work), or the type of water wand I use. I do know that if I take off the wand and run the water at full stream, it will draw through the hozon. Maybe the hozon is defective, I've never tried another one so I can't say.

Right now I do my watering by hand, no drip/emitter system.
Thanks Chris!

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Speaking of Ryan Neil I would like to add that during his video on "Spring Fundamentals" and "Growth Perpetuation" he clearly states that :
Food for the tree is the photosynthesis, through which sugars and carbohydrates are produced. These are the food of trees and not the fertilizer.
Fertilizer is a supplemental addition to the growth process and the aim of fertilizing is that of supplementation, i.e. help for the accumulation of strength.

Nutrients are not required for photosynthesis instead it is water and carbon dioxide which is converted to sugars and oxygen using sunlight as energy.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Speaking of Ryan Neil I would like to add that during his video on "Spring Fundamentals" and "Growth Perpetuation" he clearly states that :

Nutrients are not required for photosynthesis instead it is water and carbon dioxide which is converted to sugars and oxygen using sunlight as energy.

Trees, like all living things, need more than just sugars. The nitrogen in fertilizer is essential for the tree to produce proteins, phosphorous for ATP and DNA. Sugars may be the main energy source, and of course make the cellulose for trunks, but the other stuff is also important to make living cells.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Trees, like all living things, need more than just sugars. The nitrogen in fertilizer is essential for the tree to produce proteins, phosphorous for ATP and DNA. Sugars may be the main energy source, and of course make the cellulose for trunks, but the other stuff is also important to make living cells.
Yeah, and of course the chlorophyll itself has nitrogen and magnesium as components (in addition to carbon, hydrogen, oxygen). Various enzymes are involved in the production of sugar and those require "nutrients" to produce. So the statement by Ryan is a slight simplification :)

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So the statement by Ryan is a slight simplification
Yes. And they can pick nitrogen from the air too. Especially during a thunderstorm. Apparently there's more nitrogen available when there's electricity in the air.
I hope I know I'm talking about but I heard it from a farmer.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes. And they can pick nitrogen from the air too. Especially during a thunderstorm. Apparently there's more nitrogen available when there's electricity in the air.
Lightning breaks down the bonds of nitrogen molecules in the air, eventually leading to production of various nitrogen compounds including nitrates when combined with water (rain). So he is correct, though I have no idea how much plant available nitrogen is produced during a typical thunderstorm.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lightning breaks down the bonds of nitrogen molecules in the air, eventually leading to production of various nitrogen compounds including nitrates when combined with water (rain). So he is correct, though I have no idea how much plant available nitrogen is produced during a typical thunderstorm.
Whew. I hate having to pull my big smelly feet out of my mouth.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

Well, I have now heard everything lol.

Just waiting for composted dinosaur poop so we all have the best organic fartilizer EVER.

Come on guys, you really think your trees will fix Nitrogen from lightening strikes to give enough food to help with your organic fish cakes!!

Maybe we should all plant clover in our pots so the clover can steal all available Nitrogen, then we chop/kill the clover to feed the tree after tree shows Nitrogen deficiencies.

Trying not to roll over laughing while writing this.
Charles.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Come on guys, you really think your trees will fix Nitrogen from lightening strikes to give enough food to help with your organic fish cakes!!
You laugh all you want Chuck.
I don't think you've read many of my posts or threads.
If you did you would realize that I don't believe in using anything organic at all. Be it nitrogen from fish cakes,dinosaur poop or lightning. Or your crap.
You've supposedly have been in the nursery business for some 25 years right? So was I. But not that long. So we have something common. But since I only worked in a nursery for 3 years I must have not learned everything I should. How long did it take you to know everything? You do know everything there is to know about plants from your response right?
I mean a lowly farmer thats only been growing plants his whole life doesnt seem to have the vast amount of knowledge you seem to have.
Shit,you should be answering everything here,wielding your vast intellect. From now on maybe everyone here ought to wait for your answer to questions so the rest of us don't give out some wrong instructions.
And while we're at it why don't you start a thread about one of your trees? We would love to see them. You know the whole a picture is worth a thousand words thing. Doesn't need to be anything special. A run of the mill newbie stick in a pot will do.

And since he who laughs lasts longest,into the ignore pile you go with the rest of the useless.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It seems like I need to start a thread on one of my trees.
Yep all I got are sticks in pots.
I been scared off posting any of my poohy trees because the 'American Bonsai way' is the only way for most who post and comment on this site.

Hell, I don't know everything, but Mr.Frary seems to be been offended by my comments, so I am sorry if I did.

I will crawl back into my experienced nurseryman's hole as I know nothing of bonsai.
I have been looking around this website for a few months now and thought I would add my 5 cents worth BUT as I never get any likes, my comments are ignored, and you all seem to know everything anyway.
Thanks for the ride and you never know. I might post a tree and feel comfortable knowing that my life experiences growing plants/trees might be respected some.
Charles

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
This is a recurring debate. There's a similar discussion on another forum, and someone quoted Walter Pall's practise, which is quite "aggressive" according to some.

Yet I think it is food for thought, considering of course that any "method" should be adapted to the local conditions of growing (climate, soil,...).

Walter having an experience that few of us have, I think it's worth paying attention to what he says:

http://walter-pall-bonsai.blogspot.fr/2010/06/feeding-substrate-and-watering-english.html

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Who removes the nitrogen from the whole of earth every fall is what I'm wondering!

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a recurring debate. There's a similar discussion on another forum, and someone quoted Walter Pall's practise, which is quite "aggressive" according to some.

Yet I think it is food for thought, considering of course that any "method" should be adapted to the local conditions of growing (climate, soil,...).

Walter having an experience that few of us have, I think it's worth paying attention to what he says:

http://walter-pall-bonsai.blogspot.fr/2010/06/feeding-substrate-and-watering-english.html
It's exactly how it's done here. Not unique at all.

Top Bottom