NO MORE APHIDS !!!..... or SCALE !!!

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It's the time of year again for the pesties. I've been regularly recommending this product in various threads here when I see them.
I'm putting this one here in General Discussion and then I can just link it when someone is having a bug problem.

bayer.JPG

I started using this 3 years ago. Since that time, I have not seen even ONE aphid or scale on the trees I use it on.

Generally, I use it on the usual aphid lures like fruiting and soft leaf trees.

Anyhow. It has worked for me and I don't need any soap solutions.

Plus, it is a fertilizer. :) I use the granules. Never tried the liquid.

Brad in GR

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How often do you apply this? I started with this product last year with spring and fall application.

BonsaiMatt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Pretty sure it's banned in Maryland too, I bought some years ago, but now they won't ship it here. Probably for good reasons...

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Fortunately for those of us where this is banned for home purchase, both aphids and scale are easily dealt with using other alternatives.

Many pesticides take out aphids
Scale can be dealt with using neem oil or other pesticides if needs be

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You should try growing some in your own garden. I find store-bought veggies tasteless in comparison here!

We'd have a garden too if we could step over the carcasses of all the bees and butterflies. It's a virtual killing field! Sometimes it gets 8-9 feet deep in dead bees.

🥑

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You should try growing some in your own garden. I find store-bought veggies tasteless in comparison here!
I had the benefit that my sponsors wife was German, so she took me and my wife places were we could buy fresh from the farmers. Most of the time for convenience I shopped at the E-Center because it was a short drive or walk depending on how I was feeling. There was also a very good butcher shop in Biebelried, which was only a short drive. I was in Kitzingen.

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Massachusetts is also banning this class of insecticide (neonicotinoids) starting in 2022. Until then, I only use it on indoor plants and let the runoff water sit for a while before dumping it out (the product is supposed to break down rapidly in water when exposed to light). I suppose that's one plus of living in a place with a cold winter - fewer persistent insect pests to deal with on the outdoor plants.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
if we could step over the carcasses of all the bees and butterflies. It's a virtual killing field! Sometimes it gets 8-9 feet deep in dead bees.
sadly, it is no joke here. Some winters over half of the bees do not make it to spring.

1617642748839.png

And ever more species of bees are endangered

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I didn't post it as a joke. I see posts every year about aphids and scale. Thought I would post what works for me.

The insects nowadays are ALL pretty much gone compared to when I was a kid in the 50s. DDT was the first and main bomb.
If you don't want to use this stuff, then DON'T!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
FWIW Bjorn recommended imidacloprid in a recent video on Bonsai U

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FWIW Bjorn recommended imidacloprid in a recent video on Bonsai U
I think I saw that video.

tbh, I think there is a difference between private use on a small collection of a few dozen trees, and professional nurseries where they need to make a living and people jump on social media for everything that is wrong with a product; They can hardly afford to sell trees with bugs (Although my bonsai school advocates keeping things poison-free where possible, and accepting a chewed leaf and a few insects)

Top Bottom