No more political expression in your avatars or quotes, please...

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
In this fine election year, it is only too easy to let your political views spill over into your posts on this site. I have already spoken to a few members who have graciously changed quotes on their profiles to remove political expression. I am trying to be fair and treat ALL members on the site equally - so if I see an avatar or a quote that is about politics I will ask you to change it.

Thank you for understanding!

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This is totally unjust. Moderation at what cost????

Saving you from yourself. Unless you feel people need one more reason to argue on this site :)

Seriously there are ONE MILLION political forums out there where you are free to share your thoughts about life, the universe, and everything. Let's keep politics off this site, and pretend that we are one big happy family that likes small trees :)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just a small question...not political to my thinking. But...when I feel we have a troll in the midst...may I place in my avatar a photo stating let's not feed the trolls? Not really political...but,something I've fought from doing.

Your forum...your rules. Though I will miss some humor in the statement quotes. Not that I see all. Some I do find humorous. But I respect your call.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Just a small question...not political to my thinking. But...when I feel we have a troll in the midst...may I place in my avatar a photo stating let's not feed the trolls? Not really political...but,something I've fought from doing.

Community rules are pretty loose. I don't consider what you are suggesting to be political at all.

I am trying to avoid the flare-ups we had last election cycle when the Karaoke Bar became a real cesspool of negativity. I can argue politics with anyone, but the negativity started to spill over into the broader site. People who should have been bonsai friends were becoming political enemies. I didn't like where it was taking the site, so when I decided to close the Karaoke Bar, I decided it also made sense to restrict people from putting overtly political and religious speech in their quotes or avatars.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Community rules are pretty loose. I don't consider what you are suggesting to be political at all.

I am trying to avoid the flare-ups we had last election cycle when the Karaoke Bar became a real cesspool of negativity. I can argue politics with anyone, but the negativity started to spill over into the broader site. People who should have been bonsai friends were becoming political enemies. I didn't like where it was taking the site, so when I decided to close the Karaoke Bar, I decided it also made sense to restrict people from putting overtly political and religious speech in their quotes or avatars.

That makes sense...to take note of what happened in the past...to prevent it from soiling our group in the future.

Glad my thought process isn't political...I've itched to do that many of times. And wasn't sure it would be tolerated.

Geo

Chumono
Reaction score
Todos Santos,Baja Sur Elev56M 23.46N 110.24W
USDA Zone
11+
Yes thanks. I have already put people on ignore over this,which I don't like to do. It leaks out anyway,but I agree with your thinking in this instance. After all who wants to learn anything from John Birch reincarnate,or whomever.

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
While I am typically for an open exchange of ideas and opinions, I do like this being a refuge from the political discourse and debate.

I have many Bonsai "friends" and although several are on the polar opposite side of the so called aisle we have agreed to put our differences aside and focus on what we have in common.

So if we want to argue and debate, let's have at it. But let it be about soil mixes, massive collected Junipers vs refined Japanese Maples, or anything attributed to Boon.

Peace out!

Top Bottom