No more title ideas

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hey all,

Could've sworn I'd started a thread on this tree, but I guess not. I've owned it for a few months and in that time it has been defoliated. It stands around 10 inches tall or so, with a base around 2-2.5 inches.

Here's the tree:
005.JPG
006.JPG

I've been considering removing the bottom two branches on the right side, to get this:
016.jpg

Still toying around with what I'm going to do with those branches, though...

Comments?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I like it too.

It does need a wiring, but I just don't feel like those lower branches belong. Something about them bothers me.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Repotted this guy today. It's pushing lots and lots of leaves. I put it into a small bulb pan, as I didn't really have a training pot deep enough and didn't want to prune any roots away.

012.JPG
013.JPG
014.JPG

I've been thinking about how exactly to wire this tree. Thought about a downward angle for an upright type look, but didn't want to be chastised for it :eek:

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Repotted this guy today. It's pushing lots and lots of leaves. I put it into a small bulb pan, as I didn't really have a training pot deep enough and didn't want to prune any roots away.

I've been thinking about how exactly to wire this tree. Thought about a downward angle for an upright type look, but didn't want to be chastised for it :eek:

Don't worry about taking too many roots off. As long as it's in the growing season (or you have an indoor setup) Nerfs can take a huge root reduction. I recommend pulling off the leaves when reducing the roots drastically as they tend to drop anyways.

This tree has good taper and some nice potential! I would let it grow for a minute to regain some vigor and grow out those older wire marks. If it were me I'd wait until it was potted into a ceramic pot to really begin taking out excessive branching. Perhaps by Summer of 13' you could repot, defoliate, and wire all in one go. Now would be a good time to also plan if you want any aerial roots etc and start training them.

Nice little ficus, it's gonna look even better in another year or so. :)

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Here's this tree tonight, in need of a haircut:
061.jpg

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Looks great, Ryan. Are you going to keep it in this pot for now?

I actually just repotted and attacked the rootball, so it's in a training pot now. I'll update once it darkens outside.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Updated picture, it went into a training pot as, even after aggressively attacking the rootball, it was still too much for a shallow pot:
023.jpg
024.jpg

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
That's a nice looking tree great nebari on it!

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Ryan,

Looks like out door growing is working well for you! I'm happy that your trees are regaining strength and growing really well. Let them grow unrestricted the whole summer and trim and wire them when its time for them to move indoors. To help you achieve this, send me your scissors and I will send it back to you in Fall. :rolleyes::p

Eric

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hi Ryan,

Looks like out door growing is working well for you! I'm happy that your trees are regaining strength and growing really well. Let them grow unrestricted the whole summer and trim and wire them when its time for them to move indoors. To help you achieve this, send me your scissors and I will send it back to you in Fall. :rolleyes::p

Eric

Thanks Eric. I haven't really trimmed any of my trees this whole summer, they're looking happy with all their leaves and new growth, so I'm letting them be. PM me your address and I'll send you all of my tools with sharp edges ;)

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like this tree alot. It's very lovely. I also agree with your trimming ideas on the inner branches.

Top Bottom