No new tropicals 2021

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Anyone else in the northern hemisphere bringing everything inside due to colder temps and thinking: "I can't add ANY new tropicals next year"? Where am I going to put all these trees indoors?

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Anyone else in the northern hemisphere bringing everything inside due to colder temps and thinking: "I can't add ANY new tropicals next year"? Where am I going to put all these trees indoors?
I just sat down from bringing mine in. It’s suppose to be down close to freezing tonight.
last year I really struggled and many of my tropicals struggled because of my limited space (pots literally stacked on each other). But I’ve been working on a much larger plant enclosure. And I’m waiting on some larger lights to arrive. So this year I’ll have plenty of space! No crowded trees this winter!

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm not bringing things in yet.. but I've certainly decided beyond a few special trees I need the winter off. Of course my winter is shorter than some of you guys more polarily located, new word?

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Where in the NE? I’m in SE Pennsylvania- I moved mine close to the house, bringing them in tomorrow, and moving them back out later his week

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I may be rolling the dice, but I haven't brought mine in yet. We had maybe mid-forties last night and probably tonight too, then nighttime lows go back to the 50's. So far, so good, everything seems fine.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What’s too cold for you?

Are you asking me? I usually bring my tropicals in if it dips below 46-47 or so for any length of time. Usually this time of year if it gets that low at night its just for an hour or two and I've never had any damage from that. Though judging by the weather report I may bring them in Monday night.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I usually make it until the first week of October, but we've got 4 straight nights in the upper 30's beginning tonight. In they came, and more than a few got a trim on the way in. I don't bother with too much shuffling in and out - once they're in, they stay in.

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’ll be doing the shuffle - next week is suppose to be back to lows of 50f+ so no worries there. This is the first night of the year that frost is a bit too close for comfort. So mine aren’t in for the winter yet, just this cold patch. I’ll likely put them back out tomorrow.

Last edited:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Different tropicals respond in different ways. I am done now. My ficus are first and my cactus usually wait awhile but the are done too. I know there is nothing like the geat outdoors but my ficus are happy to see 14 hour days again. Cactus don't seem to care one way or the other, but they are very slowe to respond. I don't understand the in then out then in again. Seems like that would be confusing to some plants, like ficus.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Here we have about another 6 weeks before we have to bring tropicals in. But I am already worrying about it. Yesterday a pot of non-cold hardy non-bonsai succulents fell and hit the patio, breaking into many many pieces. My first thought: "I'm glad I don't have to bring that one in."

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here we have about another 6 weeks before we have to bring tropicals in. But I am already worrying about it. Yesterday a pot of non-cold hardy non-bonsai succulents fell and hit the patio, breaking into many many pieces. My first thought: "I'm glad I don't have to bring that one in."

Related to "I should go hard on (repotting/pruning/etc.) this one - if it dies I won't have to find a spot for it."

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
While they're outside, it doesn't seem like there are that many. Then when I bring them in, it's "oh shit" where am I going to put them all?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
If you leave them out to freeze, you won't have to bring them in next year. (joking, but partly serious) I'm down to 1 tray of tender tropicals, I can carry in in one trip. I leave orchids indoors year round.

I have about 15 trips, of trays and singles to heavy to put in trays, that have to go into the well house, that can not handle a full zone 5b winter. But they all need at least a light frost to get sent into full dormancy before going into the well house. The first will come in soon, but the last won't come in until nearly Thanksgiving, end of November, after the ground has frozen pretty deep.

Top Bottom