No rain, hailstones

Fabledabel

Yamadori
Reaction score
"What I do know however is that on a wide spread range of measures on the quality of life, USA fails to provide for all."

That's just exactly the attitude that the Conservatives in the US reject! We believe that you provide for yourself by the sweat of your brow. The old fashion idea of not leaving the education system prematurely, not living apart until you can afford to do so, not having babies until married, not marrying until you and your spouse are able to provide for yourselves, and working continuously in adult life at whatever you are qualified for and at whatever market wage that commands; those are all perameters of a successful life of a good citizen.

Contrast that with the kinds of people you find demonstrating in the streets. Demanding that someone else provide for them. Start with the minimum wage which artificially precludes unqualified people from working at all and increases the pressures to automate simple jobs. Ambitious young people still in High School used to work in those simple jobs at low wages part-time and during summer break. They learned early in life how to become part of a workforce and make the boss happy. They were the go-fers who were sent for coffee, or materials, or pushed a broom, or otherwise did the menial little tasks in shops and factories. When a real job opened up, they were first in line. They had proved they could come to work on-time dressed appropriately, follow instructions, learn new tasks, get along with others, and were ready for real jobs that paid real wages much earlier in life than those who spent their free time lollygagging. The old story of the ant and the grasshopper may go right over the heads of today's youth, thanks to Progressives. That is just one among the other fruits of social-justice warriors such as yourself.

"The US is also, with Lesotho, one of only two countries in the world that do not mandate paid maternity leave."

More of the same. A free lunch that someone else needs to pay for. Employers and employees have an opportunity to look at the hole left when someone gets a free vacation for having a baby. Each will be able to see just how necessary it was to have that person on the job. The employer can see if the the others can carry the load without the freeloader, or maybe he has to have a temporary worker do the job. Does the replacement do a better job? Can any goofball do the job? Does the company do just fine without the freeloader? What leverage will the freeloader have the next time they ask for a raise? Nothing is free, and nothing is without consequence. Do you want the boss to know that he doesn't really need you?

I daresay that the EU has their own problems to deal with, and that some residents don't think that they are well-provided for, too. You can deal with your problems, and we'll deal with ours. How are you doing complying with the goals of the Paris Accord? Are you comfortable with India and China using more coal as you are hog-tying yourself to unobtainable goals? Hmmm? Do you like pissing in the wind?

Does this have anything to do with bonsai?
While I'm at it, here's a Link I like!

That link has WAY more than 25 words. We're not a reading service. 🤣 Hypocrite.

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Odd to see that only a minority in the world thinks there is a debate about whether the climate is changing and the role humans play in it. Even more interesting that the majority of this minority are in a single country, a country with a leader who does everything to swing public opinion in a way so he makes more money

Just sayin'
Right..
However, just because I can admit the system is too complex to grasp on a rainy Saturday afternoon, does not mean it is not happening. Interestingly, companies like shell predicted already half a century ago that large-scale burning of fossile fuel would have wide-spread climatic effects.

Pff. Stop shitting on Europeans. Stick with the topic at hand and stop diluting your argument by insulting 750M people. Furthermore, do not pretend that you know what the majority of USA wants. You know what the people close to you want. You may know what comes out through news outlets (Which are highly politicized in USA and as such not an objective source of information). What I do know however is that on a wide spread range of measures on the quality of life, USA fails to provide for all.

Just because people in Europe feel that caring for your neighbours is a good thing, and ensuring everyone is fed and clothed and has a roof over their head is a basic right, does not mean "people sit around waiting for the government to take care of things". Take an interest, check some facts and realize that the USA is only great for a small part of the population.
Let me help you by sharing a site with some interesting facts, which of course, you are welcome to check.

I find it funny that you make a post pissing on us and our president, veiled as it may be.

Then you get your panties in a knot because someone said something about your neck of the woods.

Childish at best.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I am just now watching the Yellow Vest guys in near-mortal combat with the Gendarmes. All is well in gay Paree? Yes, we Yanks have a lot to learn when it comes to keeping the proletariat happy...

Fabledabel

Yamadori
Reaction score
@Forsoothe! I just ran into another one of your threads and did a spit take. Remember when you told me you weren't a reading service and to only post 25 word sources? This is your response from getting chewed out in the soil thread:

" Why do I bother posting a 5 page explanation of the origin and thinking behind a formula, and five additional supporting documents? Nobody reads them. "

Lmao.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@Forsoothe! I just ran into another one of your threads and did a spit take. Remember when you told me you weren't a reading service and to only post 25 word sources? This is your response from getting chewed out in the soil thread:

" Why do I bother posting a 5 page explanation of the origin and thinking behind a formula, and five additional supporting documents? Nobody reads them. "

Lmao.
Because my 5 pages explains in detail my position and how I arrived at it. You read as far into it as you wish to investigate whether or not to believe or disbelieve that my thinking is right on, or baloney. Your 5 pages is torturous reading and reaches conclusions not based upon the content. For instance: yours presents pseudoscience that concludes that the Earth's climate is warming and cooling at the same time. That way, you can nod your head like a moron if someone not too bright asks you if you think Earth's climate is changing. As W.C. Fields said, "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit." Your bullshit is not working with thinking people.

Fabledabel

Yamadori
Reaction score
Because my 5 pages explains in detail my position and how I arrived at it. You read as far into it as you wish to investigate whether or not to believe or disbelieve that my thinking is right on, or baloney. Your 5 pages is torturous reading and reaches conclusions not based upon the content. For instance: yours presents pseudoscience that concludes that the Earth's climate is warming and cooling at the same time. That way, you can nod your head like a moron if someone not too bright asks you if you think Earth's climate is changing. As W.C. Fields said, "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit." Your bullshit is not working with thinking people.
Haha I thought you didn't read it because it was too long? Now you apparently read it well enough to know the arguments don't flow from the conclusions? Haha I don't know what to say other than you're a weird little man. Do you have a doctor I should call? Can I have your trees if you're found senile?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Haha I thought you didn't read it because it was too long? Now you apparently read it well enough to know the arguments don't flow from the conclusions? Haha I don't know what to say other than you're a weird little man. Do you have a doctor I should call? Can I have your trees if you're found senile?
Do I really care what your opinion is about anything?

Fabledabel

Yamadori
Reaction score
Do I really care what your opinion is about anything?

I'm just looking out for you Forsoothe. No matter how wrong you are, I still want to make sure you get the proper help.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
No rain here for over a month. Temperatures between 30-39 ° C in the afternoon.

About 200 miles where I live, after the drought, there we re hailstones the size of a tennis ball.

So OK, climate imbalance, disorder, whatever you call it, climate change is an essential issue to tackle.

I know a few here are climate change deniers, or they think that we, human beings can't be blamed for that, all right, I don't have the superpower to make the blind see.

But the politicians that don't do anything about it because they can make money when the people die, or just because they're stupid and incapable of thinking more than insults in 140 characters.

I mean, unless you've been decerabrated from an early age (religion-s-), it's obvious that man, the humankind, is at least partly responsible for the catastrophe ahead.

I confess I'm angry at that "US" that denies its, our, responsability in the disaster that is already showing in our eyes.

I'm so disappointed at the Usonians who will vte for more years of denial, to the profit of a clan, for the misery of the millions of people.

And it goes beyond that, because when the bully is the biggest man in the yard, you'd better be careful.

So what's the solution ? Try to reason someone who has no brains, no consideration at all for others, make all efforts to

From a biologist standpoint, and I really have no other, I'd say the climate is as it is and as it has always been; changing. It's not a set parameter.
Some life adapts, some life evolves and life is going to find a way if we like it or not. Our beeches are dying at an alarming rate, but more drought resistant trees are taking the upper hand. They will take a role in a new climate.
We see blooms of algae and bacteria, and therefore viruses that haven't been able to bloom for 1000 years. They love this change! Ants do too!
How arrogant are humans really, to think that they're the only ones benefiting or suffering from change? If a rock topples over in the desert, millions of organisms die and millions take their place.
Change isn't always bad, even though it's less comfortable for us right now. We see things die that shouldn't, and we see things thrive that shouldn't. Why shouldn't they? Hasn't that happened for over millions of years?
When I look out the window I see a barren playground, what was once grass is now a patch of sand and dust with just a few pieces of green clinging on to life. Those pieces of green are the ones that will populate that field next year, and the year after that, and the year after that. The grass adapts faster than I do. Nature is going to look different, but it'll survive and thrive nonetheless.

I believe we humans have a role in this, we know how to fix things. But without the Gulf of Mexico oil spill thing going on a few years ago, scientists wouldn't have discovered that the sea actually holds bacteria that EAT crude oil and turn it into bioavailable molecules again. Without me pouring gasoline all over the place, I wouldn't have found a strain of fungus that thrives on the stuff - and hell yeah I'm going to market the stuff. It won't be long until we find plastic munching organisms from which we can filter the enzymes to start breaking down microplastics on a global level.
There are already bacteria-powered methane capture devices being developed. We use greenhouse gases from production facilities.. to feed plants in greenhouses in the Westland.
I also know that there are a lot of people working on changing the microbiome of our most favorite barbecue animals, so they emit less methane. I played a role in this.

In 2016 I made a sea-water converter that uses the power of the sun to turn sea water into fresh water. It's energy neutral in the sense that it doesn't need external power to work, it powers itself. I e-mailed my prototype and working proof-of-concept to all governing bodies I could find, from Somalia to Brazil to Florida and California, telling them they could use my design for free and produce it locally. I never got a single response. I believe there are more people like me that right now, think: if they didn't like the free stuff, they're going to have to pay. So I patented the design - Thank you Dutch proprietary laws! - and now I'm just waiting until someone starts building the same thing so I can sue them for every penny they got.
It's going to make some headlines, I'm sure. And I'll tell them what I've told you.

Back in 2013 I made a concoction that makes plants virtually drought resistant. Corn could go without water for roughly 2 months and still produce. Control groups lasted 3 weeks. I posted the idea here on this website, but nobody is going to copy it and use it for the better of the world. So in a few years, when I do have the money to get the stuff to market, I'm going to milk farmers dry. Until then, everyone is free to do this before I do. I gave enough hints. After it's patented, I'll have the production rights for the next 25-40 years.

And still, climate change isn't the entire issue. We can do with less water, more extreme weather, we just don't like to adapt. In Africa they've been using trenches to plant crops in dry areas, the trenches shade out parts of the soil during the day and in the evening the difference in temperature actually captures some water from the air. But we don't see the European division of John Deere producing a combine that can work on those fields, so the farmers cry out loud that they need more water instead of changing their way of working. I know this farmer who set his seed-planting machine to 2cm because he always did so, while the instructions on the storm-resistant corn seeds clearly said 4cm. He lost his field last summer because all of the plants were uprooted after a single gust of wind. The lack of people changing is just as much as an issue.

My grandfather told me that back in the days, they didn't use fencing, they used trees and shrubs to separate the fields, those tend to root deep, pull up ground water and help provide shade for the crops. Modern farming techniques can't be used on those fields, so we go with poles and barbed wire instead. Away goes the ground water, the crop is ruined after a dry spell.

There was a documentary about 'replanting the desert' somewhere in Malawi I believe. Those guys made a spring by just planting seeds in an effective way. I see nobody doing that here.

We threw up brick walls and entire cities made of stone. Those capture heat, they allow all the water to end up in the drain instead of the ground. Springs go dry and the ground water recedes. If we would coat the walls with mosses and plants, they would actually cool the cities and capture gasses and particles. But we only recently started doing that, and only on a small scale.

We're notoriously late to the party, we have all the answers. If you deny it or not, even if you think it's bogus, I see crops fail and I see temperatures go in wider rangers than they did before. It's not a discussion that if we don't adapt to that, that some will go thirsty and hungry, and that the few that did adapt will become some of the richest people in the world. I'm going to be part of those richest people, I have multiple plans to benefit from this all. I just need the climate to continue what it's doing.
I'll be the bad guy in the end. But I am not going to deny that all generations before me, and the ones sitting in politics right now, have shaped this environment for me.

Wie de jeugd heeft, heeft de toekomst.
Freely translated: He who captures the youth, will own the future.
Now look at Belgian kids protesting, how schools are indoctrinating kids about climate change on a worldwide scale.. I'm going to get loaded! Please keep this discussion as fiery as it is. Continue fighting as you please. But please know, that either way, I'm going to get better from this financially.

Fabledabel

Yamadori
Reaction score
From a biologist standpoint, and I really have no other, I'd say the climate is as it is and as it has always been; changing. It's not a set parameter.
Some life adapts, some life evolves and life is going to find a way if we like it or not. Our beeches are dying at an alarming rate, but more drought resistant trees are taking the upper hand. They will take a role in a new climate.
We see blooms of algae and bacteria, and therefore viruses that haven't been able to bloom for 1000 years. They love this change! Ants do too!
How arrogant are humans really, to think that they're the only ones benefiting or suffering from change? If a rock topples over in the desert, millions of organisms die and millions take their place.
Change isn't always bad, even though it's less comfortable for us right now. We see things die that shouldn't, and we see things thrive that shouldn't. Why shouldn't they? Hasn't that happened for over millions of years?
When I look out the window I see a barren playground, what was once grass is now a patch of sand and dust with just a few pieces of green clinging on to life. Those pieces of green are the ones that will populate that field next year, and the year after that, and the year after that. The grass adapts faster than I do. Nature is going to look different, but it'll survive and thrive nonetheless.

I believe we humans have a role in this, we know how to fix things. But without the Gulf of Mexico oil spill thing going on a few years ago, scientists wouldn't have discovered that the sea actually holds bacteria that EAT crude oil and turn it into bioavailable molecules again. Without me pouring gasoline all over the place, I wouldn't have found a strain of fungus that thrives on the stuff - and hell yeah I'm going to market the stuff. It won't be long until we find plastic munching organisms from which we can filter the enzymes to start breaking down microplastics on a global level.
There are already bacteria-powered methane capture devices being developed. We use greenhouse gases from production facilities.. to feed plants in greenhouses in the Westland.
I also know that there are a lot of people working on changing the microbiome of our most favorite barbecue animals, so they emit less methane. I played a role in this.

In 2016 I made a sea-water converter that uses the power of the sun to turn sea water into fresh water. It's energy neutral in the sense that it doesn't need external power to work, it powers itself. I e-mailed my prototype and working proof-of-concept to all governing bodies I could find, from Somalia to Brazil to Florida and California, telling them they could use my design for free and produce it locally. I never got a single response. I believe there are more people like me that right now, think: if they didn't like the free stuff, they're going to have to pay. So I patented the design - Thank you Dutch proprietary laws! - and now I'm just waiting until someone starts building the same thing so I can sue them for every penny they got.
It's going to make some headlines, I'm sure. And I'll tell them what I've told you.

Back in 2013 I made a concoction that makes plants virtually drought resistant. Corn could go without water for roughly 2 months and still produce. Control groups lasted 3 weeks. I posted the idea here on this website, but nobody is going to copy it and use it for the better of the world. So in a few years, when I do have the money to get the stuff to market, I'm going to milk farmers dry. Until then, everyone is free to do this before I do. I gave enough hints. After it's patented, I'll have the production rights for the next 25-40 years.

And still, climate change isn't the entire issue. We can do with less water, more extreme weather, we just don't like to adapt. In Africa they've been using trenches to plant crops in dry areas, the trenches shade out parts of the soil during the day and in the evening the difference in temperature actually captures some water from the air. But we don't see the European division of John Deere producing a combine that can work on those fields, so the farmers cry out loud that they need more water instead of changing their way of working. I know this farmer who set his seed-planting machine to 2cm because he always did so, while the instructions on the storm-resistant corn seeds clearly said 4cm. He lost his field last summer because all of the plants were uprooted after a single gust of wind. The lack of people changing is just as much as an issue.

My grandfather told me that back in the days, they didn't use fencing, they used trees and shrubs to separate the fields, those tend to root deep, pull up ground water and help provide shade for the crops. Modern farming techniques can't be used on those fields, so we go with poles and barbed wire instead. Away goes the ground water, the crop is ruined after a dry spell.

There was a documentary about 'replanting the desert' somewhere in Malawi I believe. Those guys made a spring by just planting seeds in an effective way. I see nobody doing that here.

We threw up brick walls and entire cities made of stone. Those capture heat, they allow all the water to end up in the drain instead of the ground. Springs go dry and the ground water recedes. If we would coat the walls with mosses and plants, they would actually cool the cities and capture gasses and particles. But we only recently started doing that, and only on a small scale.

We're notoriously late to the party, we have all the answers. If you deny it or not, even if you think it's bogus, I see crops fail and I see temperatures go in wider rangers than they did before. It's not a discussion that if we don't adapt to that, that some will go thirsty and hungry, and that the few that did adapt will become some of the richest people in the world. I'm going to be part of those richest people, I have multiple plans to benefit from this all. I just need the climate to continue what it's doing.
I'll be the bad guy in the end. But I am not going to deny that all generations before me, and the ones sitting in politics right now, have shaped this environment for me.

Wie de jeugd heeft, heeft de toekomst.
Freely translated: He who captures the youth, will own the future.
Now look at Belgian kids protesting, how schools are indoctrinating kids about climate change on a worldwide scale.. I'm going to get loaded! Please keep this discussion as fiery as it is. Continue fighting as you please. But please know, that either way, I'm going to get better from this financially.

Id be interested in seeing the patent! Where can I look it up?

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
From a biologist standpoint, and I really have no other, I'd say the climate is as it is and as it has always been; changing.

Right.

I believe we humans have a role in this,

So do I.

we just don't like to adapt.

Right again.

There was a documentary about 'replanting the desert' somewhere

The Green Wall ? (Most the documentary is either in English, or has subtitles) :

they didn't use fencing, they used trees and shrubs to separate the fields

In the sixties, in Brittany, they tried to "optimize" fields. So they cut down heges to make fiels bigger. Later, they put plastic hedges. They had realised that the hedges were "cutting" the bad winds, that they hosted many species, fauna and flora,that benefited to this area.

either way, I'm going to get better from this financially.

Yeah, I understand your point of view : if some can't understand, maybe when taliking money they will begin to open their eyes....

Last edited:

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Id be interested in seeing the patent! Where can I look it up?
In my drawer. I'm not even kidding. Dutch law allows for inventors to physically mail themselves their design, sealed, dated and stamped. This counts as proprietary evidence in court. Also, the emails to politicians back that up. I have around 40 of those documents as support.
This law was originally meant to protect inventors from evil companies that steal ideas.
I also made sure that I did leave some pointers out on the internet, so the person I'm sueing would have to show his internet history dating back until roughly 2015 to prove they didn't visit one of those pages.

I'm not sure if it's a 100% fool proof, but the lawyer said I have high chances of winning a case if it ever gets that far. It's European law, so I'll have to wait until the "idea stealer" would have made some actual money before I step up. Otherwise they'll just hand me the production rights instead of 'missed income'. Meaning I would still have to work for my money.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Climate change or no climate change, i subscribe to the viewpoint that we should always seek practical, economic, and efficient ways of having less of an impact on the environment around us. I dont think that being strong proponents of clean water and air is something that needs to be political.

As technology increases in effect and decreases in cost, we will see changes to the "footprint" but in the mean time, we should not allow ourselves to ignore things we can adjust in our own lives that benefit the world around us. We are all on this site because we love nature, trees, and the natural world. Why does it have to be such a festering pile of shit when it comes to topics such as this.

Fabledabel

Yamadori
Reaction score
@Forsoothe! I would just like to apologize to you. Things got a bit heated. I came across this article today that opened my eyes, titled "Scientific Consensus on Humans Causing Climate Change Reaches 99%".

Had I known you were smarter than 99% of the scientific community, I would have shown you more respect. All hail @Forsoothe!, the Lord of Science.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Forsoothe! I would just like to apologize to you. Things got a bit heated. I came across this article today that opened my eyes, titled "Scientific Consensus on Humans Causing Climate Change Reaches 99%".

Had I known you were smarter than 99% of the scientific community, I would have shown you more respect. All hail @Forsoothe!, the Lord of Science.
Fake news!!!
They are all in the pockets of those green lefties making big money building windmills! Everybody scientists are just in it for the money.

Or something.

Top Bottom