No rest...

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The new year is upon us, I’ve had a couple of cold snaps. Here’s my trident still full of leaves. There’s one branch that I wanna cut back, but How do I know when the right time is since the leaves don’t come off?
A882911D-9960-46F4-BBC5-7CC076B6EEFE.jpeg A3DA8B26-C8AF-4CE8-BAAA-5F1A21CF61C3.jpeg

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That is a great question. I honestly don’t have a good answer but there are numerous Trident experts who will see your question when daylight arrives for them. I do have my thoughts though. You are welcome to toss them out as nonsense.

Does your area of China not have a season when all the leaves fall and trees go dormant? Not being funny...I just don’t know the climate you’re in.

It may be a matter of observing when new buds begin to swell on those branches. This might indicate...cold is done....spring in China is here. I may have greatly simplified the seasons.

Seriously though....one of the Trident experts may have a much better and clearer answer. I’m rambling to much.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Tieball
Those mai trees with the flowers, do they have heart shaped leaves? I think it’s also the national tree of Hong Kong

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I just don't know that Hong Kong will keep a trident healthy in the long-term. Is there anybody who has successfully kept them and they stayed semi-evergreen, like Chinese elms in many cases? Winter averages in Hong Kong are similar to North Central Florida, and I know there has been some success with trident maple in North Central Florida. The difference is, I am thinking there are going to be a lot fewer hours below 45F(chill hours) in Hong Kong than in N Cen. Fl, despite similar averages.

Try it outside for a few years, and if that one does not make it, get another one and keep it in a refrigerator from December through February. As long as the roots stay evenly moist while in the refrigerator, it will do very well for you that way. I know, I did it for years when I lived in Orlando.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm 2 zones north of HK, they are touching 11, and I'm on the line between a 9a and 9b. but we share all the same trees. I'll take a look at other deciduous trees around me.
We also have some other tree that grows areal roots, but it sheds its leaves in the winter. I'll post some leaf and bark picks up later in the day.
And i need to adapt my posting times to evenings when all you guys wake up.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Tieball
Those mai trees with the flowers, do they have heart shaped leaves? I think it’s also the national tree of Hong Kong
Hmmmm......I don’t think the Mai flower in Vietnam has heart shaped petals on the flowers.....but it could be seen as a heart shape maybeFC074981-1AC9-4945-88BD-1D57922FE2EB.jpeg . In Vietnam the Mai featured is a bright yellow color in the south and in the north it is a bright pink color. The blooms should be in full color in early February this year. I attached a photo of the yellow Mai flower. What color are the blooms in your area of China?

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm 2 zones north of HK, they are touching 11, and I'm on the line between a 9a and 9b. but we share all the same trees. I'll take a look at other deciduous trees around me.
We also have some other tree that grows areal roots, but it sheds its leaves in the winter. I'll post some leaf and bark picks up later in the day.
And i need to adapt my posting times to evenings when all you guys wake up.

I bet a trident maple will do just fine where you are then Kevin. Just give it a couple years to adjust to your seasons.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ha!.....if the tree needs dormancy....carve a space out in the refrigerator. Easy for me to say....I can’t see the full size of the tree.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Tieball
the main shoot that I've bent sideways is more than a foot long (probably gone and let it grow too thick)

@miker
I could also move it to my north facing balcony, that isn't getting any direct sunlight at all

Top Bottom