No snow but ice here

Evilman626

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Didn't get any snow here on the east coast in NC but plenty of ice. Been without power for over a day along with everyone else this way.

Attachments

• IMG_20140212_102749.jpg
    IMG_20140212_102749.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 55

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It doesn't matter where someone lives ice storms suck. I feel for you people. Try and stay warm . I would rather deal with our 4 feet of snow.

Evilman626

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Yea I would much rather be dealing with any amount of snow I lived in Michigan for 18 years and would prefer that over this ice that's for sure.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It doesn't matter where someone lives ice storms suck. I feel for you people. Try and stay warm . I would rather deal with our 4 feet of snow.

Didn't know that. Not often but when it gets cold here, we get more ice & sleet than snow.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Didn't know that. Not often but when it gets cold here, we get more ice & sleet than snow.

In the North East snow is usually looked at as "normal" but when it warms and freezes it causes severe problems with trees and lines down. Where I am it happened the first time since 1994 last week and many are still without power from that. It snowed all last night and continued until noon or so today. Now it is rain and sleet so if it freezes tonight this will be a nightmare. Two weeks in a row is just plain *argh* :(

Grimmy

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just finished hand shoveling 15" of wet snow from my driveway, I was real close to throwing in the towel, very heavy snow.Now there saying a few more inches tonight, man I miss my garden.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ice storms are only pretty when one doesn't have to venture out...and everything looks as if it's made of ice.

You chose to leave the bonsai out in the elements I see. I know some who let snow cover their native trees as well. But, I wonder how we'll all fare come spring from this harsh winter.

Ice won't hurt the roots in a shallow pot? I guess more temps are the concern? I will never grasp the winter elements to bonsai I guess...for those out in the elements.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ice storms are only pretty when one doesn't have to venture out...and everything looks as if it's made of ice.

You chose to leave the bonsai out in the elements I see. I know some who let snow cover their native trees as well. But, I wonder how we'll all fare come spring from this harsh winter.

Ice won't hurt the roots in a shallow pot? I guess more temps are the concern? I will never grasp the winter elements to bonsai I guess...for those out in the elements.

Our outdoor specimens are outside and will stay outside and be well in the Spring. The small stuff is mulched in plastic storage containers on the ground with covers off and have ground heat and wind protection while the larger stuff in pots is against a fence for wind protection again on the ground. If the snow is extremely heavy on the large specimens my Wife brushes some of it off it looks like it may freeze and break branches. You mentioned shallow pots. There is at least one Elm out there in a 1/2 inch deep pot that is mulched into a storage container. I have not seen it weeks and I am confident it will be ok. In addition I am certain the pot will be ok as it is a High Temp Fired pot from Charles Iker and handles it well. The roots can and do freeze and thaw throughout the winter but stored on the ground they do it slowly and I never have seen or had problems.

Grimmy

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just finished hand shoveling 15" of wet snow from my driveway, I was real close to throwing in the towel, very heavy snow.Now there saying a few more inches tonight, man I miss my garden.

Same here than it snowed and rained all over again. Buddy told me two people died today frm shoveling rainy snow. Be safe

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah I shoveled a foot of heavy slushy snow yesterday and then the ice this morning. Good work out to get my back in shape before repotting season I suppose :rolleyes:

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm thankful that I have a 12hp snowblower that chewed right through over 18" of what I thought was supposed to be light and fluffy but turned out to be kind of wet and heavy. If I had to shovel my 330 foot uphill strip of blacktop, I'd be in traction.

Top Bottom