No turning back now I guess.

Zoomie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Grimmy had me running all over town looking for stuff today. And I didn’t find any of it except for some coarse silica.

But I went to a mom and pop nursery and got to chatting. They had some Mallsais. I found a couple cheapies that should make good test subjects.

No soda can so I had to go with the first standard size can In the cup board.

Don’t make fun of my weeds! :)

This poor guy is nothing but roots. Ficus Nerifolia.

5669CD39-4E39-412B-97C8-5E544AEDBE7B.jpeg
329D5BC3-7BAA-4EE8-B5B0-1707A7258372.jpeg

Then this guy. Ficus but dont know the species as tag washed off. Interesting trunk.

B182C82A-47C4-476A-8721-1E861952642A.jpeg 3AF6A994-DDD0-49D9-A4A5-D4E7913EC4BA.jpeg

And same with this guy.

AA1676EC-F3AC-4696-853E-D192F2FA2FD4.jpeg 916A415A-7F87-45E9-8A3D-9BC0BEA2203A.jpeg

Not a bad score for under 40.00 total.

The other stuff was really bad with no personality. I mean really bad.

I didn’t kill them on the way home so.....so far, so
good!

Zoomie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey neither one of them is as bad as the usual mallsai, you did good!

I know they have a myriad of issues. But they are at least interesting to look at and therefore enjoyable to care for. I like ‘em. They’re ugly just like me. :)

Zoomie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Welcome fella! I'm sure grimmy will set you on the path. Tigers are good, endless options, fun to play with and hardy. More trees!

Grimmy has been a tremendous help! I am already forever in his debt as he has answered a million questions.

Plenty of time for trees. Lighting and rack will be here tomorrow. I only bought these because they were the only thing that caught my eye. I was afraid they’d walk off if they didn’t grab them today.

The woman told me that they are expecting a bunch of starters and told me when to call to verify they showed up. I can go cherry pick
some inexpensive youngsters.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Don’t make fun of my weeds! :)

Actually you did very good! Also after the lights and rack are set up feel free to chat me again on the phone. Just keep those as is until we do and I will give you some tips regarding care and minor cleanup for the Winter - They are good, not a lot involved work this season and they should do good!

Happy to see this honest and your kind words as well as others ;)

Grimmy

Zoomie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Actually you did very good! Also after the lights and rack our set up feel free to chat me again on the phone. Just keep those as is until we do and I will give you some tips regarding care and minor cleanup for the Winter - They are good, not a lot involved work this season and they should do good!

Happy to see this honest and your kind words as well as others ;)

Grimmy

Thanks brother!

I should have rough set up, less T8,s by about 5pm.

Since it’s a pure storage room, wide agreed to just put the rack right in the middle of the 6 foot south facing window. Might as well grab all the natural light I can, in addition to lighting.

Won’t do anything with bonsai right now other than water. I am worried about the tiny guy. There is no dirt. In it. Or negligible. You can help me sort that out once they a rack to sit on.

Zoomie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The sticker on the 3rd has Golden Gate written on it, for whatever that’s worth.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The 2nd and 3rd look like tiger bark figs.

Yes they are Tiger barks

The label on one said Golden Gate which at first glance looks a lot like Tiger Bark. Golden Gate Ficus however don't usually display a very dark bark, more of a medium grey.

Grimmy

Zoomie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That’s exactly why I said ‘written Label.’

Rack day!

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
For the record, they're Ficus microcarpa's. They both look like your standard microcarpa. There's really no way of telling whether they're Tiger Bark or not, and you won't know until they age more. The bark you see now is typical microcarpa bark.

Tiger Bark is a very light grey with white spots.

Top Bottom