No vision...let it grow

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I can't stress enough...that it's okay not to see the direction of a tree right away. It's okay to just offer it horticultural care until it whispers sweet nothings into your ear.

Example...

A plain Jane Procumben that was a friend's late brother in laws material.
image.jpg

Still no direction, was hoping to allow it to just grow out to offer me "more" options. Two winters now with no direction yet, but offering up more to work with. (Was slightly hoping for taking it into a non cascade. But at this time...it's not offered me that direction or whispered into my ear.) Thinning and allowing to just grow
image.jpg

Then the ugly duckling...I was hoping when I made the purchase I could change that angle for showing off its movement. Another "let it grow until it speaks to me tree." Left it grow for some time.

Pink pixie bougainvillea
image.jpg

image.jpg

Pyracantha
image.jpg

image.jpg

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No vision . . . Don't buy it. I think if you've been in the hobby long enough, this is the general attitude. Most see no reason to buy a plant just to have that type of plant.

We've all had those plants you thought would be great one way, only to get it home and realize it wouldn't work. But in that case, don't just let the plant grow. Put some wire on the new branches, get some movement. Even if it turns out to be wrong down the road, it is a lot better to have to remove a few branches in the future, than to have only straight uninteresting branches to work with.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
No doubt. I've had trees sitting untouched on my bench longer than you have been on this forum.
But I'm with Stan, don't buy it if you can't see anything in it.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
No doubt. I've had trees sitting untouched on my bench longer than you have been on this forum.
But I'm with Stan, don't buy it if you can't see anything in it.
Exactly! Very cool you have had them on the bench that long Brian. No, this was for those who see good bones...but can't see where to take it. So many wish to rush to place their thumbprint onto their material. Where...keeping it healthy is also a key player fact that is also important. It also allows it to offer up more to work with...as it sits.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
No vision . . . Don't buy it. I think if you've been in the hobby long enough, this is the general attitude. Most see no reason to buy a plant just to have that type of plant.

We've all had those plants you thought would be great one way, only to get it home and realize it wouldn't work. But in that case, don't just let the plant grow. Put some wire on the new branches, get some movement. Even if it turns out to be wrong down the road, it is a lot better to have to remove a few branches in the future, than to have only straight uninteresting branches to work with.
Yes...to a degree I do feel adding movement in something might pay off. In the Bougainvillea I did that...and removed many branches along the way thinning it...but no general direction. Kept many though as well once I seen the direction with it. But removed just as many.

The juniper can be raffia and wired, so I see no reason to add movement to it. But to allow it to offer something of itself. Depends on the species I guess as well. But...don't rush a design just to design. The juniper is a tree I never would have purchased. But out of respect for my friend...will tend it so she knows it's carried on from something her brother in law had.

There must be a reason one buys material in the first place...you still need to go with the bones of what makes a good bonsai when making a purchase. Nebari,bones of the tree...if it is a good specimen for bonsai. Tight internodes and such...but I mean the overall direction with it. One could remove a valuable feature in rushing a design it's not grown into yet.

I'm glad you brought out clarity of what I thought we knew...but a newb may not. The bones must be there. The species one that handles the techniques we apply. Thanks for adding very sound points...

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I think I made the mistake that Stan mentions... buy it for the variety.
I bought a Acer butterfly that ended up in the landscape, and a bunch of azaleas.
And a supposed to be atlas cedar and some others that I bought for the variety but they are not very pretty and now I want to trade them and can't find someone that wants them.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought a Acer butterfly that ended up in the landscape, and a bunch of azaleas.
And a suposed to be atlas cedar that I bought for the variety but it is not very pretty.

Can't omit them without trying!

Nice Darlene!

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
And a suposed to be atlas cedar that I bought for the variety but it is not very pretty.
early on...I think we all bought material that ended up in the landscape. ;) Learning that it needed to go there...verses a pot means growth on our part. So still a victory in a sense.

Top Bottom