Nodes on juniper

AussieBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi. I have been given a new juniper bonsai which has a trunk covered in what seem to be buds that have come out but not opened. The picture below isn’t the best, as the remaining trunk is far more ‘affected’ and the ‘nodes’ are far more prominent, as small stubs. I haven’t been able to find info on this, on whether it is normal or an issue that needs addressing?

Attachments

• 1071B96C-93C1-4230-9C72-3A1897A141CB.jpeg
    1071B96C-93C1-4230-9C72-3A1897A141CB.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 23

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is normal. At some stage it was probably thinking of putting out buds and then didn't. You may see backbudding on those when you do a lot of reduction on foliage

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I only find these on the lower part of trunks and parts of junipers that have been exposed to moisture for extended periods, I think they're back-up roots. Because when I wrap those bumps in raffia and keep the raffia wet, roots grow from those bumps.
I've never seen buds break from those bumps.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I see this when the trunks have been in a humid environment. Occasionally roots emerge from those bumps if the air is particularly damp.
Definitely nothing to worry about and should gradually become less prominent as the trunk grows..
Lol I got buds but keep removing them...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it's a smart allocation of resources which can turn into roots or branches, depending on the trees needs.

Erosion or leaf litter fall, roots.

Damage, branches.

Having the start makes the response faster.

Sorce

Top Bottom