Noelanders Galery 4 & 5

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks for posting these Phil, I enjoy BB quite a bit, and really appreciate your efforts!

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Dear Bonsai Basho, thank you very much for sharing with us the Noelanders galleries. They are enjoyable reading material for me over the last few days. The trees are just fantastic! If they look this good in pictures, then they must be even more spectacular in real life.
Thanks again,
Si Nguyen, in Southern California, USA

By the way, what is YOUR favorite tree in this show?

Bonsai Basho

Yamadori
Reaction score
My Favourite Tree?

My favourite did not receive the credit it was due sadly. Richard Chambers English hawthorn is a beautifully developed, balanced and natural tree. It has grace and has that indefinable age quality. It reminds me of a walk through the English countryside early in the morning with a little fog hannging in the air. Its the kind of tree that you want to walk up to and pad on the trunk.

For me that is what bonsai is about. Yes there are wonderful sculptural trees with beautiful and perfect deadwood, perfect canopies of needles over an intricate weave of gnarly wood. But for me, I've never met such a tree on my walks, its beautiful but it doesn't evoke feelings. For me, I connect with this hawthorn.

So that is my favourite for very personal reasons.

http://www.bonsaibasho.com/micromarket/#/library/library/a298

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
I can see why you like it. That's a spectacular tree! It is not easy to style a tree with such a big dominant first branch like that. I love how the artist styled it as a double apex tree. The feeling that one can imagine standing beneath its cool shade is actually very rare in bonsai. That feeling is a hallmark of a good natural bonsai tree I think.
Thanks for showing the shohins too.
Si

Last edited:
Top Bottom