(non-bonsai) Book on Propagation

emk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I realize this is pretty vague, but I recall reading somewhere that there was a very good propagation book that many bonsaists reference, but which isn't written as a bonsai book and not written by a bonsai artist. All I really know about it is that it was very technical, very detailed, and pretty exhaustive in dealing with different climates, species, etc. If anyone has an idea of which book I may be thinking of, please let me know.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is the book I think your referring to. Brent has mentioned it a few times here as well as citing it as his bible in his propagation article on his site. Loads of useful information, and will definitely get you going in the right direction.

emk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
This is the book I think your referring to. Brent has mentioned it a few times here as well as citing it as his bible in his propagation article on his site. Loads of useful information, and will definitely get you going in the right direction.
Well, if Brent mentions it, then that's probably where I heard about it first.

Just for clarification (it's kind of hard to read that little pic), this is the one written by Dirr & Heuser, right?

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Just for clarification (it's kind of hard to read that little pic), this is the one written by Dirr & Heuser, right?

Yep, just like the description next to it says ;)

crhabq

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I picked up one used recently by search on abebooks.com . It was much cheaper that way. I think soon maybe I'll consult with it before I get the itch to take some cuttings of something and see what happens.

grizzlywon

Shohin
Reaction score
Fresno, CA. Were all the food comes from if we ha
USDA Zone
9A
I own the dirr book and another. The Dirr book has a lot of very good info and details that no other book has (I hear). With that said, it assumes you know a lot about propagation and thus doesn't have a lot of "how-to," more of what to do assuming you know how-to. Like, use this %acid and this time of year etc.

The following book is the book I would recommend if you want to learn how to propagate and want clear pictures and diagrams to show you how. Not only that, but this book is only $20 compared to a lot more on the Dirr book. http://www.amazon.com/American-Hort...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240551072&sr=8-1

Another bonus is that this book has pretty much every known plant found in the US!

Of buy them both.

Top Bottom