Non Bonsai tools and stuff for Bonsai

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thought I would start a thread . For tools and equipment or stuff . We found useful for bonsai . To share with each other . Anything you think others might find useful goes . I’ll start us off First up is a pair of pliers there called duck bills . Essentially working tips a narrow flat tip with smaller grip teeth then a regular pair of pliers . There attached to a longer reach handle . There value . Is there ability to reach deep hard to reach locations . With the strength of pliers . Useful for wiring and tie downs and any work in tight locations . They make similar needle nose pliers . But the duck bills are more useful . There sold as automotive repair tools . And yes the pair pictured are top quality and price . But there are cheaper options available . Second is a roll of clear fishing line . Simply . Very strong invisible string . Both traits are useful especially together

Attachments

• 08803717-58F9-4456-B6B5-F5E19AC98F7A.jpeg
    08803717-58F9-4456-B6B5-F5E19AC98F7A.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 266
  • F3145353-817C-4F87-BD64-39536561BD4A.jpeg
    F3145353-817C-4F87-BD64-39536561BD4A.jpeg
    58.1 KB · Views: 236
  • 746ABD07-8904-464B-8112-CED2393ED95C.jpeg
    746ABD07-8904-464B-8112-CED2393ED95C.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 213

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Any reason your using fluorocarbon fishing line instead of nylon ? does it last longer ?

Diggumsmack2

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Horse hoof nippers are good for big deadwood work…if you don’t have large root cutters.
Yes! I was just looking at an old pair my father has from when he had horses. They look very similar to trunk splitters/root cutters and if you need to buy a pair, they are ⅛ the cost of "bonsai" tools.

Last edited:

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was at harbor freight yesterday and came across several of these nippers https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=nipper
They could be good for peeling bark and wood for deadwood . Biggest drawback to those style . Is the depth of the throat for clearance behind the blades . Get the ones with max blade width . To help that

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would love a dentist station on my worktable, with the hi powered water and drills overhead!
No water but creme de la creme in carving just need a credit card there is of course cheaper alternatives . But a shaft drive is vastly superior to a router

Attachments

• 3F7F0D74-204B-4CB8-96EA-9E4E0E68BE82.png
    3F7F0D74-204B-4CB8-96EA-9E4E0E68BE82.png
    75.1 KB · Views: 182
  • 577E1CF0-2DC8-4C20-8727-92E61D70A375.png
    577E1CF0-2DC8-4C20-8727-92E61D70A375.png
    47.2 KB · Views: 156

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
More useful stuff from the automotive repair world . The different coloured pads . Are scuff pads ( slang name ) . If you ever used a scotch brite pad or a kitchen scrub sponge with a abrasive normally green pad glued to it you have the correct product . They are used heavily in the auto painting industry . Normally about 1/8 or 1/4 inch thick there ability to conform to irregular. Surfaces . There synthetic material that will not break down when used with most soap petroleum cleaners . And such . Gives then value in bonsai . Cleaning tools deadwood and even pots . The main difference from the kitchen scrub pad . Is they are colour coded rated like sandpaper for aggressiveness . The kitchen green bring the roughest or mist aggressive . These are available much finer fir delicate work . The white cloth they sit on in pic . Is a oil absorbent pad . Used like oil dry to clean up spilled oil . A common name is pig mat . They are woven material that will absorb a tremendous amount of oil . But will not absorb any water or allow water to penetrate . You can actually absorb oil spilled on water with them . For me they are valuable if you have collected or recovering trees . You want to mist but don’t want the compost to absorb excess water you cut these and wrap around the tree . There sift like cloth . And water runs off them . But still allowing the pot to breath . I would imagine they could be very useful in areas that have rainy seasons

Attachments

• B1C02304-3174-4A13-82C7-40FEFAA709C6.jpeg
    B1C02304-3174-4A13-82C7-40FEFAA709C6.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 218

WinstonWolfe

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
For heavy bends, I have used copper electrical grounding cable. Its non-annealed, so very stiff. You can get much greater holding power with smaller gauge.
That being said, be prepared to fight when it comes time to remove. Usually cutting it off is better for the tree than trying to remove in one piece.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
For heavy bends, I have used copper electrical grounding cable. Its non-annealed, so very stiff. You can get much greater holding power with smaller gauge.
That being said, be prepared to fight when it comes time to remove. Usually cutting it off is better for the tree than trying to remove in one piece.
I’ve also used copper grounding cable, but annealed it myself in my propane grill.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've used garden staples to anchor newly collected trees into their deeper pots instead of wiring them. Much cheaper. They also make good anchors for guy wires, and are frequently used by gardeners for anchoring low branches for ground layering.

Full disclosure: It's not uncommon for me to wish I'd just wired the damn tree in. A strong wind can tip the tree pulling the roots out and the staple with them. But if you're concerned about disturbing the root ball, they're a reasonable alternative.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve also used copper grounding cable, but annealed it myself in my propane grill.
You guys have it lucky . Has to do with electrical standards . Ground wire in Canada is multi strand . I use it as it’s still a good deal but it’s 7 strand . On the subject of wire I’ve experimented with inserting annealed copper inside plastic and or rubber tubing . For increased bark protection. . Inconclusive so far but has merit . Recommend stretch the wire straight and use dish soap and water as a lube if you want to try it . My interest in prunus is the drive

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You guys have it lucky . Has to do with electrical standards . Ground wire in Canada is multi strand . I use it as it’s still a good deal but it’s 7 strand . On the subject of wire I’ve experimented with inserting annealed copper inside plastic and or rubber tubing . For increased bark protection. . Inconclusive so far but has merit . Recommend stretch the wire straight and use dish soap and water as a lube if you want to try it . My interest in prunus is the drive
If you're not too worried about the looks, I've found green plastic coated aluminum wire at garden and hardware stores that's pretty cheap and purpose built for growing applications. Not quite copper where wiring branches goes, but certainly good enough for the price.

Top Bottom