Non Bonsai tools and stuff for Bonsai

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is my oyster fork root rake. Free with an order to-go.
View attachment 475428
I have made several single point root hooks . Normally from a screwdriver type tool . Shape the end into a dull point . Next step requires a oxy/Ac ( welding or mechanics ) torch and a vice . But easy to get someone to do it . Clamp the shaft in vice at point you want the bend heat a small area cherry red hot and it will bend by hand . My fav is My largest . Was a T handle driver . The bent tip is longer about 2.5 inches . Than most purchased ones . It is also larger in diameter than most . Many people at workshops . Marvel at it . It’s key attributes are sturdy T handle offers easy control . The longer tip is great for going deep into a rootball . The larger diameter is actually more sensitive to not rip roots as they don’t catch or pull as easy . It’s a go to tool for wild collected trees and nursery trees . Especially larger ones . I would post a pic but it’s currently in the work shop with entrance buried in snow ❄️

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don’t get the idea . Not a tropical guy so don’t have trees with aerial roots . Is the idea to create a passage way from branch to the pot to encourage roots to form
That's exactly it. Or if an aerial root starts on it's own, you can protect it and encourage it until it reaches the pot.
In some climates you don't need anything, but in others aerial roots - on ficus generally, but there are also others - need to be encouraged artificially, or outright forced.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don’t get the idea . Not a tropical guy so don’t have trees with aerial roots . Is the idea to create a passage way from branch to the pot to encourage roots to form
This is basically an aerial root contraption for tropicals. Once established, snip the wire and the moss falls away. You would place the tube perpendicular on the branch so that the target branch is covered by moss.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Aerial root 'straw' from garden hose.

View attachment 475429
You are over thinking it... a thick straw split down the middle works better, no need to wire, add sphagnum or anything else. Aerial roots are "design" to go the distance and reach the soil, the only thing preventing them is dry air. Enclose them in a straw and they will not dry out, plus the straw will draw moisture from the soil as temps rise during the day and then condense the water at night... perfect environment for the roots.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You are over thinking it... a thick straw split down the middle works better, no need to wire, add sphagnum or anything else. Aerial roots are "design" to go the distance and reach the soil, the only thing preventing them is dry air. Enclose them in a straw and they will not dry out, plus the straw will draw moisture from the soil as temps rise during the day and then condense the water at night... perfect environment for the roots.
I don't have any straws around. But I do have garden hose!
I have had difficulty getting them to take without additional intervention.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Trees are so fascinating. I understand only a few species . Aerial root . And there natural
Moist warm environment has a lot to do with it . But I always look at stuff like this and go why . What in evolution started it . Are the trees originally absorbing nutrition and water from the air . And eventually reach the ground . Is the tree trying to short circuit the distance from leaf to root . One would think the norm is like other trees just spread your roots farther . If the soil is lacking . Or is it like a tree that air layers a branch that comes in contact with soil . Just taking advantage of a opurtunity

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Trees are so fascinating. I understand only a few species . Aerial root . And there natural
Moist warm environment has a lot to do with it . But I always look at stuff like this and go why . What in evolution started it . Are the trees originally absorbing nutrition and water from the air . And eventually reach the ground . Is the tree trying to short circuit the distance from leaf to root . One would think the norm is like other trees just spread your roots farther . If the soil is lacking . Or is it like a tree that air layers a branch that comes in contact with soil . Just taking advantage of a opurtunity
That's how they spread, they are somewhat like parasites. They germinate inside hosts trees, then slowly reach the grown with the aerial roots and then take over. The biggest ficus tree is almost 3.5 acres big.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's how they spread, they are somewhat like parasites. They germinate inside hosts trees, then slowly reach the grown with the aerial roots and then take over. The biggest ficus tree is almost 3.5 acres big.

Makes perfect sense . Having never seen there natural environment in person , I would not assume that . Like I said just another example of adapting to
A environment , 👍👍

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Everybody" may already know but...I'd been using pliers to tighten guy wires and found it tedious. Much easier for me using vise grips.
As a life long gear head . Have to agree the locking pliers . Are something you can’t go without . And it’s great in this copy cat world . That hands down the best ones still have the words vise grip stamped into the side

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In keeping with the source stuff you can get . I’m looking at the bar bonsai screw Jack . Looks real handy . And a quality woodworking bar clamp . Looks to be the identical tool
. Except for the larger and often soft . Tips not exactly a bad thing .

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
In keeping with the source stuff you can get . I’m looking at the bar bonsai screw Jack . Looks real handy . And a quality woodworking bar clamp . Looks to be the identical tool
. Except for the larger and often soft . Tips not exactly a bad thing .
What's that? Like a wood clamp? I like wood clamps but they might be a little big..

Top Bottom