Non Bonsai tools and stuff for Bonsai

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been using plumber's putty. Not great. Falls off too soon, but does the job enough to prevent infection and bleeding out. (Am I still talking about trees?)

THIS I need to look into. I imagine your Velcro can get pretty dusty and stop holding after a point, though.
There is 2 different sides to Velcro but the more solid spikes on the bench . Softer side on the pot . It does wear out . Normally the more you . Remove and reattach . Yes it gets dirty but hose it off works good . You kind of learn to use less on a pot . It don’t take much to secure it . Unless it’s on a vertical . But at end of the day it’s not expensive to replace

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Yes! I was just looking at an old pair my father has from when he had horses. They look very similar to trunk splitters/root cutters and if you need to buy a pair, they are ⅛ the cost of "bonsai" tools.
I have looked at those horse hoof nippers. They are great for smaller diameter trunks but the cut jaws are not quite as long.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have said this before but not here . This is automotive weatherstrip adhesive . Regular contact cement is the same . Also ABS plastic pluming glue is basically the same . There is a interesting property sone are not aware of . If you sores the glue on one surface and allow it to tack up a bit it will have very instant holding power . This is more so with the first 2 . The ABS cement works faster . They make fairly good cheap wound sealant . I primarily use it in the wild if I cut back a tree . Again east to get @ShadyStump you might want to try it . The weatherstrip stuff comes in black also better than the yellow

Attachments

• 2C2A67F9-8DBD-4EDA-B68F-F2FEF08FC888.jpeg
    2C2A67F9-8DBD-4EDA-B68F-F2FEF08FC888.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 32

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Don't think I'll have much in the way of big chops coming this season, but I still might grab a tube for the tool box. My planning is notoriously nonexistent.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have found these leather scissors on amazon to be awesome for bonsai. They cut just about anything you can get between the blades including wire without dulling. I find myself using them all the time and for under $10 they are hard to beat.
👇
Leather scissors
I'll have to consider these. Do they have a decent fine point on the tip?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
When you guys go into the woods to collect trees or to scout for trees, do you carry a knife with you? If so what is it/what would you recommend?

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When you guys go into the woods to collect trees or to scout for trees, do you carry a knife with you? If so what is it/what would you recommend?
Don’t go without my hori hori anywhere see above . Must have to collect bonsai . For summer scouting ( only collect in spring ). Regular kit is . Bypass pruner . Folding saw . Phone ( safety and drop nap pin for trees ) fertilizer . A small single eye Magnifier ( like binoculars ) glue for wound sealant . Bug repellent ( don’t enter the woods in Canada without ) drink for me but also zip lock bag to fetch water for trees .

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To collect all the normal stuff. But some others don’t think about . For a un the ground saw . I like a handle that accepts construction reciprocating disposable saw blades . Also easy to take different blades . I use thin packaging foam . Anything repurposed . Think sheets of soft foam thin . Step one is wrap the lower trunk with this to protect the bark . Lately I use the stuff soft bumpers come to work . Packaged with . It has a water proof side . Use it to sit kneel while I work . Can also wrap the foliage section of tree . For trek out . I package roots is thick plastic and duct tape . Big zip
Lock bag . I don’t use a framed pack sack So carry a tree or put it roots first in my back pack . And carry the contents of back pack in the zip lock . First aid kit . ( electrical tape crazy glue gauze peroxide ) Plastic bag with dry socks . Hate walking in wet boots . Disposable nitrile gloves . And a cleaning rag . Or next thing there is mud everywhere o. Tools and tree .

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have found these leather scissors on amazon to be awesome for bonsai. They cut just about anything you can get between the blades including wire without dulling. I find myself using them all the time and for under $10 they are hard to beat.
👇
Leather scissors
B59D1A89-7BC4-4E8B-BDB4-E8B63F1EE551.jpegE5E742B0-CDFA-4FCC-9132-CF258897359A.jpeg

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One thing I have been doing for my tropicals is using a 2liter bottle, and I replaced the cap with a top from a dish soap bottle. That gives me a large capacity of water and I can squirt it.
Lee valley tools I’m sure there avail other

Attachments

• 61498BBF-3AF3-4311-9D39-40884FBAB49B.png
    61498BBF-3AF3-4311-9D39-40884FBAB49B.png
    48.6 KB · Views: 28

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm a cheapskate. I just poke holes in the cap.
I have an old Gerber multi tool that's my go-to. Almost 20 years old and it's still kicking. I'll probably go with a Leatherman when it's time to replace it, but it ain't time yet.
To give you an idea of how I feel about it ...

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm a cheapskate. I just poke holes in the cap.

I have an old Gerber multi tool that's my go-to. Almost 20 years old and it's still kicking. I'll probably go with a Leatherman when it's time to replace it, but it ain't time yet.
To give you an idea of how I feel about it ...
From a person that had to use multi-tools for over 20 years I would suggest, if you use any pressure on your tool not to get the Leatherman. Leatherman tolerances are tight, which is a mayor selling factor, but the outside-open handle bites into your palm and fingers when used with any considerable pressure. Warranty are similar for outside the US market at 25 yrs, but Gerber offers limited lifetime in the US.

I have around 6 Gerber MP units and a Suspension, and I can say that I have abused the crap out of them in my 28 years in the military and only once I had a unit break, which was sent to Gerber and a new replacement was at my house in less than 2 weeks.

If you want something beefier, but still have a multitool, the Dual-Force is an outstanding choice... it also comes with the "new" center drive, which locates the screwdriver at the center of the tool instead of the edge like the MP units.

But, if you want something pretty and shinny, get the Leatherman.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I forgot to say that right now I use a Cold Steel Bushman. The SK5 steel doesn't hold the edge as well as I like but it is tough as heck. In a pinch I can turn it into a spear. The Bushman knife is definitely one for my bug out bag. However, I am looking for something that can chop a little better as the Bushman is a little light.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
From a person that had to use multi-tools for over 20 years I would suggest, if you use any pressure on your tool not to get the Leatherman. Leatherman tolerances are tight, which is a mayor selling factor, but the outside-open handle bites into your palm and fingers when used with any considerable pressure. Warranty are similar for outside the US market at 25 yrs, but Gerber offers limited lifetime in the US.

I have around 6 Gerber MP units and a Suspension, and I can say that I have abused the crap out of them in my 28 years in the military and only once I had a unit break, which was sent to Gerber and a new replacement was at my house in less than 2 weeks.

If you want something beefier, but still have a multitool, the Dual-Force is an outstanding choice... it also comes with the "new" center drive, which locates the screwdriver at the center of the tool instead of the edge like the MP units.

But, if you want something pretty and shinny, get the Leatherman.
I was thinking Leatherman because of the one hand opening feature, and the fact that my Gerber puts the blade above the bottom line, if that description makes any sense. I open a tool and set the unit down flat on its edge and the blade or whatever is half an inch above the surface. It also has more give than I like between the two halves when do put pressure on it.
But then I haven't actually shopped around. There are probably models that have eliminated all those issues.

I can't argue with Gerber's reliability at all. Pushing 20 years, and mine is still going strong. My first Gerber was issued to me by my battery as we were leaving for Iraq in '03. Beat the hell out of it, and it wound up stolen by a halfwit sargeant who couldn't figure out how to put his own boots on. Bought the cheapest model to replace it as soon as I got back stateside.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I was thinking Leatherman because of the one hand opening feature, and the fact that my Gerber puts the blade above the bottom line, if that description makes any sense. I open a tool and set the unit down flat on its edge and the blade or whatever is half an inch above the surface. It also has more give than I like between the two halves when do put pressure on it.
Yes, that is a "design flaw" of all the Gerber MP series. They did fix it with their Center Drive units. The Center Drive and the Suspension have tighter tolerances, less "give" as you described. The "give" was part of the design when Fiskars (new owner of Gerber since the mid 80's applied for a military contract. The other tight tolerance tools tend to bind in dusty/sandy/muddy locations, which is why to this date Gerber has the contract with the military with the MP series tools. The suspension is a lower tier Gerber though... not my fav at all.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I forgot to say that right now I use a Cold Steel Bushman. The SK5 steel doesn't hold the edge as well as I like but it is tough as heck. In a pinch I can turn it into a spear. The Bushman knife is definitely one for my bug out bag. However, I am looking for something that can chop a little better as the Bushman is a little light.
I guess the question is what are you trying to do with a knife . The hori hori is more fir digging and cutting roots . Sounds like your looking for a axe type tool

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I guess the question is what are you trying to do with a knife . The hori hori is more fir digging and cutting roots . Sounds like your looking for a axe type tool
The knife is NOT for bonsai. I am fine with digging and cutting roots using just my RootSlayer XL. I am find with cutting branches on the trees I am collecting using my saw. However, when traveling in the wood I often encounter branches that I like to hack away. I've tried machetes but they are too long and wieldy for me. My Bushman is just too light to hack them away. I need a good chopper :)

Top Bottom