Non germinated seeds

spunog

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello,

I planted a batch of seeds in January. These included ficus, zelkova, acer, Japanese Black Pine, Japanese Red Pine, coast redwood, crepe myrtle, Chinese Juniper.

Out of about 100 seeds in all, one ficus germinated, one crepe myrtle, one Japanese red pine. Are the rest of these seeds to be assumed as duds ? I wonder should I bother to continue watering them . I followed the stratification requirements etc.

Thanks,

Spunog

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Sometimes, with some species, a few will germinate when expected, and then many more a year later -- and that's with the stratification requirements faithfully followed. American hornbeam (Carpinus caroliniana,) for example, is known for doing that.

If you wait, you'll most likely get more germinations, but I sure don't want to guess how many, or of which species. If it were me, I'd set the seed tray(s) in an out-of-the-way place, keep them watered thru the summer, and see how many more came up. But it's your call, man.

spunog

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply treebeard. I guess the real question was wether the seeds might have gone sterile by now. If I thought theres a chance they might still sprout then I will continue to wait. Nothing to lose I guess.... except my mind :)

Spunog

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
They won't go sterile; that doesn't happen. Maybe the word you wanted was "un-viable." And yes, seeds can lose their viability, which means they're dead.

Top Bottom