Non-Lead Based Chinese Hackberry

Reaction score
In November 3, 2015... I obtained this Hackberry as part of Styling Competition, where you paid $25 Dollars, got the tree, and could win a possible award of a $100 gift certificate to the Nursery putting on the event... obviously if you won.

In years past, I had participated and won, but this year when they plopped this particular piece of material in front of me... I new where I wanted to go with it, but also knew if I went in the direction I wanted to take it... Well, lets just say, I wouldn't of had a chance in hell of winning!

Here is the Tree...
hackberryBeforeA.jpg

So, I just kinda began to style something with some kind of interest and character... I didn't get very far... and wasn't actually anywhere near being done when the... OH, By the Way... Did I mention it was a 30 Minute Styling Competition? So, after the event, I took it home and decided to just finish it, so I could at least take a picture so I could remember what and how the tree was styled for the Competition...

And it looked like this...
hackberryA.jpg

So... here is where the fun begins...

As soon as I finished taking the pictures... I put down the Camera, Picked up the saw... and cut the whole thing down to about 2 1/2 inches above the soil! To what it was I originally wanted to do with it, when I first got the tree for the Competition! In November...

Afterwards, I just said to myself... Self... Well, that is one Hell of a way to Force a Tree into Dormancy !
And I figured what is the worst that could happen? It just stays Dormant longer? Or Dormant Permanently?

But, you know what's funny? Sure as shit... the damn thing started sending out a ton of growth less than a week later... and just skipped being Dormant Last year.

And in February of 2016, it looked like this...
hack1.jpg

hack3.jpg

Well it looked a tad bit different earlier that day... seeing these photos were taken after I spent the day wiring it up, for movement.

The rest of the year I let it grow, and did some trimming, let it grow... the usual.

This Winter... it did go Dormant, which is fine... seeing that's what it is suppose to do. But, seeing our Winters aren't really that cold, we just have off and on nights of freezing... It has started to awaken from its slumber this past week and send out some new growth, so I decided to do a small amount of work to it. Mainly wire some movement into new growth before I cant, and fix a couple of ones I was allowing to grow out last year.

And tonight... One Year and a couple of months later... I looks like this...
hack.jpg

Now... Sure... I didn't win the Competition... But, for $25 Dollars and some fun???

Don't let people tell you Don't waste your time on a Piece of Material... They don't know what they are Talking about. Oh, and also... don't rush to take shit out of Nursery soil, or dirt if it is draining and happy!
If Bonsai Soil is meant to slow the speed of your trees growth down... Then make the change when you want to slow the trees growth down.... Not when you are trying to still grow stuff out!

Will see about posting some more pics as it develops, as well when it actually fills in, as in another month .

Rusty Davis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Looks good. I need to study up on these guys. I'd like to do a few on our native ones

Reaction score
Looks good. I need to study up on these guys. I'd like to do a few on our native ones
Thanks for the Reply!
I had originally thought this was a Native version of a Hackberry seeing that in a lot of ways they are not much different when still young...
But, was latter going through some paperwork and came across a flyer for the event.

Reaction score
Thought I would share these Photos as well...

Tree with 7.5 Jin Pliers for Scale...
hack2.jpg

And a picture of the Chop, where you can see that it has started rolling over nicely...
hack3.jpg

Although, with that said...

When I originally did the chop, I obviously did it straight across... to see if I could get some multiple buds to shoot off new
growth at the top, and have the chop end up being in the valley of these... for fastest healing over qualities.

Now that I Have the continuation of the trunks I want... I will need to do a V cut in between the two, with a carving tool...
to give a better transition between the chopped trunk and the 2 new trunks continuing on... giving a crotch between them.

Top Bottom