Noob Question on Potting a San Jose Juniper

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
I have a San Jose Juniper I picked up at Lowes but it is root bound and I need to put it in a new pot.
My Question is.... Can i remove some of the roots to fit it in a slightly shallower pot?
If so ..... How much can I safely remove from the bottom?

I am just asking about a chop of the roots I wont be doing any raking of the roots or removing anymore soil than what is left in the bottom of the pot.

I am in southern California and it is still warm here (10 Day Forecast). As you can see it will be in the 100's next week and mid 80's prob for another 2 weeks before we see any temps in the 70's during the day.
SanJose1.jpg SanJose2.jpg Sanjose3.jpg

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
Hello @theone420
I think it will be helpful for your questioning to read what @Adair M was very kind to respond in this thread of mine. There are some similarities... https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/juniperus-questions-to-the-experts.29950/

Thanks, I saw that last night(great info) but I will be waiting for the HRB till my next step. I did cut back some foliage so I do not want to do to much at this point.
But, I decided what the hell it was a $3 tree so I cut off maybe an inch off the bottom of the root ball and got it in a larger pot to grow until it starts showing signs of being happy again then I will try the HRB technique.
I am in USDA zone 9b so it doesn't get to cold here in winter hopefully this will help the plant recover and start growing some new runners to thicken her up some.
I am very new to the bonsai thing but have been growing all kinds of fruit trees(apple, plum, peach, avocado, tangelo, orange, banana, mulberry...) here for some time. I just really like the idea of a small trees so I am hoping I can keep some bonsai alive as easily.( have killed one mound juniper already by removing all soil from the rootball...ooops)

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
I went a little crazy chopping foliage off of my blue point ( just saw a happy dancing tree and had to put it in shape. lol) but again it was a$3 plant and not gonna kill me if it doesn't survive. I will be leaving it in the pot till spring then maybe put it in the ground or try a HRB on it and move to a pot if it shows me some good growth.
Blue Point.jpg

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
Is this ceramic chips or is it seramis?
Turface. I picked up a 50lb bag of Turface MVP (the stuff they make baseball infields with) at a local landscape supply for $13 a bag. I put it on top of the soil because there was a lot of bare roots on top and i wanted something to protect them and hold a little moisture to help create some extra humidity with evaporation. I sift it and wash it before use. Its darker in the pic because I just watered the plant. I plan on making my own soil since I can most everything local for a decent price.
So far I have:
Turface
Pumice
Fir bark
Lava rock
Peat Moss
Cactus soil
I have been using different mixtures and recipes I have found online but since I am new to this I am experimenting more than anything at the moment.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I also make my trees' substrate myself using the below aggregates in a ratio of approximately 80% inorganic - 20% organic :
Ceramic chips
Pumice 1-3mm
River sand 2-4mm
Peat/compost (hot, dry summers over here)
I used to use lava 2-4mm but I cannot get it any more (only bigger chips) and I replaced with river sand.

Top Bottom