Noob seeking advice for Ficus Retusa

Uriah

Seed
Reaction score
Hi all,

First bonsai and first post here! :)

I have been researching bonsai for quite some time and have a lot of experience with horticulture, but this is a completely different world to me. I picked up a Ficus Retusa to learn on which was trained in the S-shape, and I really don't like the initial trunk style, so I am having some difficulty determining the first steps for this tree.

It is approximately 3 years old according to DallasBonsai already almost 10 inches tall with the current foliage, and the nebari at soil level is only a little over half an inch. I have attached pictures from four sides labeled A, B, C and D for reference.

4_view.jpgperspective_side_A.jpg

The first thing I noticed is that near the top where it was clipped there is a lot of branching, causing swelling and inverse taper. Besides that, the trunk is nearly uniform in diameter and in my opinion the tree is already quite tall for how thin the trunk it is.

What I don't like is that the curve of the trunk isn't the typical upright S-shape I've seen pictures of, but instead the trunk is nearly horizontal at the first bend, visible on sides A and C, and then further up the trunk would either curve toward or away from you depending on which side you're looking at. The only side I like is side A, but still something just looks off to me, but maybe I can't see the long term potential of the tree, so please correct me if I am wrong.

From my understanding, if I want to develop the nebari and trunk taper, I could do a trunk chop, re-pot and start developing radial roots. I found a spot where I could air layer and get a really nice cutting. I have marked approximately where I am considering doing the air layer and trunk chop. This would leave the two thin branches on the main trunk with at least some amount of foliage remaining on the original tree and I believe it will easily recover, as the tree looks really healthy and I understand Ficus is quite vigorous.

air_layer_side_A.jpgair_layer_side_D.jpg

I actually really like the flow and style of the tree above where I am considering cutting the trunk, especially from side A. The inverse taper has thickened that area and it could make a really nice short and relatively thick start for a second bonsai.

#1. Is my plan to air layer and chop the trunk at this location a wise decision or is there a better alternative?
#2. Since I just got the tree this week, shipped from Texas, should I wait before air layering? It is summer growing season (in Florida) but should I see how the tree adjusts to the climate first and maybe feed it some 7-9-5 for a while?
#3. If I go ahead with that plan, should I re-pot the original tree into a bonsai pot and trim the roots when I chop the trunk?
#4. If I air layer, how much bark do I need to remove? There isn't very much height to work with where the trunk bends there, maybe only a little more than half an inch. Is that not enough?
#5. Is this the completely wrong approach? Should I instead just re-pot, trim and start developing radial roots and do some selective branch cutting and try to get rid of the inverse taper?

I would really appreciate any suggestions and feedback, thanks!

Regards,
Uriah

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi all,

First bonsai and first post here! :)

I have been researching bonsai for quite some time and have a lot of experience with horticulture, but this is a completely different world to me. I picked up a Ficus Retusa to learn on which was trained in the S-shape, and I really don't like the initial trunk style, so I am having some difficulty determining the first steps for this tree.

It is approximately 3 years old according to DallasBonsai already almost 10 inches tall with the current foliage, and the nebari at soil level is only a little over half an inch. I have attached pictures from four sides labeled A, B, C and D for reference.

View attachment 198806View attachment 198815

The first thing I noticed is that near the top where it was clipped there is a lot of branching, causing swelling and inverse taper. Besides that, the trunk is nearly uniform in diameter and in my opinion the tree is already quite tall for how thin the trunk it is.

What I don't like is that the curve of the trunk isn't the typical upright S-shape I've seen pictures of, but instead the trunk is nearly horizontal at the first bend, visible on sides A and C, and then further up the trunk would either curve toward or away from you depending on which side you're looking at. The only side I like is side A, but still something just looks off to me, but maybe I can't see the long term potential of the tree, so please correct me if I am wrong.

From my understanding, if I want to develop the nebari and trunk taper, I could do a trunk chop, re-pot and start developing radial roots. I found a spot where I could air layer and get a really nice cutting. I have marked approximately where I am considering doing the air layer and trunk chop. This would leave the two thin branches on the main trunk with at least some amount of foliage remaining on the original tree and I believe it will easily recover, as the tree looks really healthy and I understand Ficus is quite vigorous.

View attachment 198824View attachment 198825

I actually really like the flow and style of the tree above where I am considering cutting the trunk, especially from side A. The inverse taper has thickened that area and it could make a really nice short and relatively thick start for a second bonsai.

#1. Is my plan to air layer and chop the trunk at this location a wise decision or is there a better alternative?
#2. Since I just got the tree this week, shipped from Texas, should I wait before air layering? It is summer growing season (in Florida) but should I see how the tree adjusts to the climate first and maybe feed it some 7-9-5 for a while?
#3. If I go ahead with that plan, should I re-pot the original tree into a bonsai pot and trim the roots when I chop the trunk?
#4. If I air layer, how much bark do I need to remove? There isn't very much height to work with where the trunk bends there, maybe only a little more than half an inch. Is that not enough?
#5. Is this the completely wrong approach? Should I instead just re-pot, trim and start developing radial roots and do some selective branch cutting and try to get rid of the inverse taper?

I would really appreciate any suggestions and feedback, thanks!

Regards,
Uriah
Since you just got the tree and presumably don’t know how long it has been in it’s current pot, that’s the first thing I’d recommend you try to find out. If you carefully slide the root ball out of the pot a little bit to take a peek, what do you see? If you’re not seeing plenty of roots on the exterior of the root ball, then it may have just recently repotted and I would avoid doing anything yet and give it some time to get well established in the pot.

If it’s well established in the pot and looking healthy, then I’d cut the leaves and do a trunk chop. Plant the top part as a cutting (air layering isn’t necessary for a ficus). You can make a little humidity tent for the cutting if you want, but I didn’t for the one I just did a trunk chop on. I have been careful about making sure it gets watered in the current heat wave we’re experiencing. It took about two weeks for new growth to appear on the other part below the trunk chop that had no foliage afterward.

Here are some photos of the one I chopped:
Before
DA213354-F3BE-4EDD-8A12-0AA708330FF6.jpeg

After
9FFF4FE0-B1A0-4C2C-86A9-9A5376FA9239.jpeg

Two weeks later
0247E45C-3C3C-4CCC-B762-C5EE1AEF6EF2.jpeg02BC419E-C8EF-4568-B935-C65BAD94D1B0.jpeg

When I mentioned cutting the leaves, here’s an example of what I’m referring to.
6D35C250-5162-4942-9BD1-1E25FA905CC6.jpeg

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Uriah,
I am new too. This is my second season working with trees. My best advice is get more than one tree. To really practice you need more than one tree. I am from the northeast so I am not much help on what you can find in Florida but i am sure there are closer choices for material than online from Dallas. Online is always going to be the most expensive and you can not review the material for flaws like you can in person.

Good luck
Mike

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do it!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Uriah

Seed
Reaction score
Since you just got the tree and presumably don’t know how long it has been in it’s current pot, that’s the first thing I’d recommend you try to find out. If you carefully slide the root ball out of the pot a little bit to take a peek, what do you see? If you’re not seeing plenty of roots on the exterior of the root ball, then it may have just recently repotted and I would avoid doing anything yet and give it some time to get well established in the pot.

If it’s well established in the pot and looking healthy, then I’d cut the leaves and do a trunk chop. Plant the top part as a cutting (air layering isn’t necessary for a ficus). You can make a little humidity tent for the cutting if you want, but I didn’t for the one I just did a trunk chop on. I have been careful about making sure it gets watered in the current heat wave we’re experiencing. It took about two weeks for new growth to appear on the other part below the trunk chop that had no foliage afterward.

Here are some photos of the one I chopped:
Before
View attachment 198836

After
View attachment 198837

Two weeks later
View attachment 198838View attachment 198839

When I mentioned cutting the leaves, here’s an example of what I’m referring to.
View attachment 198840

Hi, thanks! I researched all your suggestions and that seems like sound advice. Looks like the roots have not filled out the pot at all, so I will just wait. Probably won't be able to do anything until next year in that case. I guess that gives me time to learn how to cut back the leaves!

Uriah,
I am new too. This is my second season working with trees. My best advice is get more than one tree. To really practice you need more than one tree. I am from the northeast so I am not much help on what you can find in Florida but i am sure there are closer choices for material than online from Dallas. Online is always going to be the most expensive and you can not review the material for flaws like you can in person.

Good luck
Mike

Good advice. Yeah I just wanted something more developed to work with. I already have a bunch of smaller cuttings and started a number from seed as well.

Do it!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce
Welcome to the forum!

Thanks!

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Uriah, I too am new to bonsai but quite experienced with Ficus. Just to be safe you shoul take 2 or 3 cuttings from you tree and get them rooted. This way if your grown one expires you will still have Ficus to work with.

Top Bottom