NOOB ?: What the heck are these things on my JBP??

matcha_bonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
Sorry, new to bonsai. Forgive my ignorance.

1. What is this sponge-like texture/freaky stuff around my Japanese Black Pine (40 years old):

IMG_20200215_091817791_HDR.jpg IMG_20200215_092016648_HDR.jpg

2. And what are these little sprouting things popping out of the soil?

whatisthis1.jpg what_is_this2.jpg

Here is a full sized image of the tree for reference:

1580522205514.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So what you have there is a very established JBP that needs a repot. The pot itself isn't too small, rather the tree is potted low in the pot - almost as if the tree has sunk 1" over the years since it was last repotted.

Answer to Q1: those are fruiting bodies from fungus. Don't panic - many fungi are beneficial. It just demonstrates that your soil is very established and has not been changed in a while...

Answers to Q2: if you keep bonsai in a general nursery, you get all kinds of random stuff popping up in your bonsai soil. Your first pic, I don't know what it is, but I get it too... it is a common groundcover plant. The leaves and stem feel fleshy - almost like a succulent. It in not particularly invasive, but I pull it when I see it. Photo #2 is a germinating tree seed. Not sure what type... but if I had to guess looks like an elm.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
1 looks like liverwort

2 looks like it might be sedum

I dont mind sedum in my succulents but wouldnt have it in a decent JBP like that. I get rid of liverwort whenever I see it.

matcha_bonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks!

Yes, since I just bought this a few weeks ago, I will repot soon once the season is prime!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seconded fo Liverwort in #1 picture. Not good to have these but can easily be weeded out;). Subsiding soil may be degraded kakadama turning to clay mud. Get tree into pumice if available there.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I agree that the first photos are liverwort. The little cups are the fruiting part that holds the spores. If it gets too rampant it can completely cover the soil and make watering difficult so I get rid f it too. Pull out or spray with vinegar.
The germinating seed looks like it could be some sort of elm. Seedlings in pots are common if any mature trees are nearby. You could dig that out and pot up for future bonsai. No need to get all the root. Germinating seedlings will readily grow even if the main root is cut.

Spring is coming and time for a repot for this one.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Liverwort? I call that Michigan Moss! Lol.

Them other little things I hate.

Certainly keep the elm!

Sorce

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Liverworts need a whole lot of water to grow like that. I believe there are drainage issues, which eventually could lead to root problems.

Top Bottom