Noobie Air Layer Fail - Trident Maple

Toshi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This is only my 4th attempt but my first failed air layer. I'm reading through other threads to see where I went wrong, perhaps I didn't cut deep enough?

After 4 weeks I gently opened it up to check the progress but removed everything when I noticed that something other than roots was growing.

What is it that I incubated instead? Fungi?

20200310_145538.jpg20200703_150918.jpg20200703_151122.jpg20200703_151442.jpg20200703_152050.jpg20200703_153239.jpg20200801_094741.jpg20200801_094747.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wonder if the tree isn't smart enough to know it's best chance of survival in this scenario is to bridge the gap.

It seems like it knows this is easier than growing roots.

Another scenario, where there are already branches below, or even buds that popped due to the ringing, is alive and well below, so it will more readily grow roots.

If we tried, we could....put the puzzle together.

Makes sense.

Smart Tree Theory.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please read this and have more success.

Sorce

Toshi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Please read this and have more success.

Sorce

Really nice method, thanks!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really nice method, thanks!

I think some of the problem you encountered has to do with the space it was confined to as well. Because the tissue felt that pressure, it used it to grow toward each other and mend.

A RadialDisk serves to keep disconnected, and allow pressure free root growth.

Sorce

Decoy Octopus

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've had trouble with my Trident Maple air layers. Japanese Maple, Elms, Crepe Myrtles all easy as pie but I've yet to have luck with Tridents.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your cut wasnt very clean, there is leftover cambium. If you also ringbark a bit longer section, then its less likely the top and bottom will reconnect (which will almost certainly end any chance for roots). Do not apply rooting hormone to the exposed wood, the roots will come from the cambium above the exposed wood, so cover this upper edge and a bit of the bark above the cut in rooting hormone.

Btw, some species and varieties are very difficult or impossible to root.

Toshi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've had trouble with my Trident Maple air layers. Japanese Maple, Elms, Crepe Myrtles all easy as pie but I've yet to have luck with Tridents.

Guess i'm part of the club too now!

Your cut wasnt very clean, there is leftover cambium. If you also ringbark a bit longer section, then its less likely the top and bottom will reconnect (which will almost certainly end any chance for roots). Do not apply rooting hormone to the exposed wood, the roots will come from the cambium above the exposed wood, so cover this upper edge and a bit of the bark above the cut in rooting hormone.

Btw, some species and varieties are very difficult or impossible to root.

Thanks, I'll give it another go next spring. Any guesses as to what that crusty growth is that was left behind? It's really hard and dense.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, I'll give it another go next spring. Any guesses as to what that crusty growth is that was left behind? It's really hard and dense.
Just recut the top now and repack. If you have not let it dry out this callus (Which is what it is) can be triggered to grow roots very fast.

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just recut the top now and repack. If you have not let it dry out this callus (Which is what it is) can be triggered to grow roots very fast.
To expand on this: I'm pretty sure the bulbous, fungal-looking tissue is actually undifferentiated tissue that has formed in response to the injury, which is how all air-layer roots start. When this undifferentiated tissue stays dark and damp and given more time (and auxins traveling down from leaves above), it will differentiate into root tissue.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To expand on this: I'm pretty sure the bulbous, fungal-looking tissue is actually undifferentiated tissue that has formed in response to the injury, which is how all air-layer roots start. When this undifferentiated tissue stays dark and damp and given more time (and auxins traveling down from leaves above), it will differentiate into root tissue.
I agree with your assessment of what it is, but in my limited experience, when the callus gets this large and theres no roots yet, the chances arent great. It may just keep growing in a tumor like fashion, never sending out roots. But ive also seen it work once or twice.
If I remember correctly, on my deshojo airlayer, it callused but roots never came from it, instead roots came from the internode above it some weeks later, after I reapplied expired rooting hormone on it, though it may have sent those roots out either way.

Toshi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm probably just going to cut my losses and try again next spring. I think it's too late in the summer to remove it even if roots did emerge. I'd rather this have went seamlessly if I was going to try and get it through winter.

Vali

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would cut that thing off, scrape the wood, repack that branch and leave it over the winter and spring. I don't think you have anything to lose. Don't give up so easy

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Can we get photos of the entire tree? In the first photo it looks pretty weak for a trident. You improve your odds with more foliage. However just going to say that sometimes air-layers don't take... and you can't figure out why. I am in the process of striking air-layers off a large elm in order to make a forest of clones. The apex came off perfectly... but some of the branches are proving to be difficult.

Toshi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would cut that thing off, scrape the wood, repack that branch and leave it over the winter and spring. I don't think you have anything to lose. Don't give up so easy

I didn't realize the roots could safely make it through winter but if there's a chance then I'll give it another go! Also like you said, nothing to lose.

Can we get photos of the entire tree? In the first photo it looks pretty weak for a trident. You improve your odds with more foliage. However just going to say that sometimes air-layers don't take... and you can't figure out why. I am in the process of striking air-layers off a large elm in order to make a forest of clones. The apex came off perfectly... but some of the branches are proving to be difficult.

I posted a photo of it before bud break sorry about that. It had more foliage but sometime in the last 2 weeks we had a night of brutal rain and wind that knocked my bike onto it and took some branches.

20200802_105148.jpg20200802_105152.jpg

Vali

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would also add more substrate for the roots to grow in. Good luck!

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I agree with your assessment of what it is, but in my limited experience, when the callus gets this large and theres no roots yet, the chances arent great. It may just keep growing in a tumor like fashion, never sending out roots. But ive also seen it work once or twice.
If I remember correctly, on my deshojo airlayer, it callused but roots never came from it, instead roots came from the internode above it some weeks later, after I reapplied expired rooting hormone on it, though it may have sent those roots out either way.
Just had an oak pop roots all the way the wrap after a couple months. When I checked 2 weeks ago it looked exactly like that, nothing but undifferentiated callous forming. In a month or two I’m hoping to have a 4” oak layer to grow!

Last edited:
Top Bottom