Noobie gets a Shohin Bonsai

Laputa

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello !!

I got bonsai! Hooray for me, right? :) Firstly I'd like to ask for temporary amnesty. I am new, and eager to learn more of this intriguing craft. I will strongly strive not to kill my first bonsai.

I'm hoping to receive some feedback on current health and future styling.

I live in Dallas, TX (zone 8) and I recently purchased a Trident Maple (zone 7). I did a fair amount of reading before purchase, and settled on this one based on care, potential and aesthetic purposes, however, the zoning material didn't present itself until recently.

DSC01457.jpg
1.jpg

I've had it about a week and already I'm noticing how intricate its health is. Completely oblivious to bonsai soil, I attempted aerating the soil due to a significant amount of liverwort on the trunk. I wanted to make absolutely sure it was getting enough water due to the dry and hot climate ( I water based on touch ) I exposed some roots mistaken them for the liverwort roots, and I gave it short bursts of early morning sun. Within 2 or 3 days I noticed some discoloration on the leaves. Panic ensued, but I tossed it where it will be staying, in the shade of our balcony, misting it occasionally.

DSC01462.jpgDSC01466.jpg

New growth seems to be popping up and advancing. The leaves below were invisible 4 days ago.

DSC01464.jpg

Based on this afore-stated information what else could I do, or should plan for, to bring this plant into optimal health?

Secondly, I will attached some pictures of the front branches and the current apex. Any suggestions on when (based on health) and how it should be styled?

Thanks,

Laputa

Laputa

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Style

These are pictures of the front branches and the current apex, plus my elephant. Any suggestions on when (based on health) and how it should be styled?

DSC01458.jpgDSC01460.jpgDSC01465.jpg

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome to B-Nut!

Is your username and avatar the Castle in the Sky (by Miyazaki?) :D

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Style wise...I think either broom or informal upright.

Laputa

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to B-Nut!

Is your username and avatar the Castle in the Sky (by Miyazaki?) :D

It sure is! Ever since Spirited away in '01 I've been pretty captivated by his stories. Laputa is, of course, the castle built around flying tree! If you're a fan, I found someone who makes Kodama forest spirits from Princess Mononoke.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/113021089/cute-miniature-kodama-spirit-figurine?ref=pr_faveitems

I got her to toss a small wire in it so I can use it in the bonsai's pot. Maybe it'll be good luck right?!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It sure is! Ever since Spirited away in '01 I've been pretty captivated by his stories. Laputa is, of course, the castle built around flying tree! If you're a fan, I found someone who makes Kodama forest spirits from Princess Mononoke.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/113021089/cute-miniature-kodama-spirit-figurine?ref=pr_faveitems

I got her to toss a small wire in it so I can use it in the bonsai's pot. Maybe it'll be good luck right?!

LOL. May daughter made some of those (among other stuff) using bake clay (sculpey).

We have the 12 movie pack by studio Gibli and yes all his stories have lessons. I think one of our fav is My Neighbor Totoro.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to the bnut. Tridents Grown in our area start to look sad this time of year. I give mine only morning sun after the temps get above 90 in early summer. Then they are shaded in the afternoon. August is generally the harshest time of year for theses guys and with the September temps we have had it seems we are still in August. Quit messing with the roots this time of year. Don't do anything to them until spring repotting.

Last edited:

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It all depends n what size and style of tree you plan to creat from this one. If you want to keep it a shohin size, you could probably keep it's a pot this size, if your goal is to develope this into a larger, more mature looking tree, you might want to encourage more growth by potting it up into a larger container or planting it in the grind for a few years... Check out a lot of pics of tridents on the net to see what your goal is and what kinds you like best! They "trunk up" pretty quick if allowed to grow... Also, if you get some prolific new growth next spring, I think you can take cuttings and air layers pretty easy from this species which might be a good way to learn more about styling it by practicing on the "free" stock you can create in the coming years!

I just got a new Trident myself today, but I have owned them in the past... Do not let it dry out, here in SC we had a summer about 3 years back where it got to like 120 degrees for two weeks straight with no rain, that did my last one in... Lesson learned for me, I will give this one a little more protection from that kind of heat! Full sun is probably not best in your climate, but I would encourage you to move it off the porch and at least let it get some early morning sun.

logan3

Yamadori
Reaction score
Welcome, I just wanted to let you know that you have a great store in your area called Dallas Bonsai, also I'm sure there is a club around also. Good luck with your tree, I still have one of the first tree's I bought 13 years ago when I first started, a Chinese Elm. Pete

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dallas bonsai is not open to the public. It's only an online retailer.

Top Bottom