Noobie Question

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would wire first to establish the curves before you chop.

Also ignore the advice you get from anyone who has been doing bonsai since before you were born. They obviously don't know anything.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd show you a pic but... lets just say its a piece of crap with little or no potential for bonsai. I chopped it all up and now want to put all of my knowledge into it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If you have 10 people giving you advice, be sure to only take every 10th bit of advice from each person, ignoring everything else they say.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks guys. I just finished bare rooting it for three days so i could comtemplate it. I planted it into 1/3 boon mix, 1/3 turface, 1/3 akadama and 1/3 of some secret soil i got from my garden supply dealer. I overpotted it by a factor of 3. What size mudman should i add?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Be sure to get some thick moss to cover the soil. Best if it’s glued on so it won’t blow off.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It better be a cascade.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Be sure to get some thick moss to cover the soil. Best if it’s glued on so it won’t blow off.
No, you need to glue on the rocks. Moss is sprayed on. Crazy how newbies come here and think they know everything after watching one or two boon videos.:p

Mud men: size 2 if you used copper wire, size 3 if you used aluminum wire.
Don’t forget the super thrive.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You sure it isn't the radiator next to the window, make sure it's good and hot.
Don't forget to fertilise full strength or stronger.
It will grow much faster.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
And don’t forget this accessory so you can still keep it on top of your tv; works even over the thinnest of flat-screens!
6D5004BB-7DDC-409D-BAAC-D3F3EF227315.jpeg

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Great advice guys!
I learned a lot from this thread already. Next spring I'll be ready to sell my real 2 year-old bonsai trees for $3000 a piece on ebay.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just got my first tree. I've read everthing. I want to chop the learning curve. Any ideas?
Learning curves are reluctant to push shoots from the area of the chop, so if you chop your learning curve you may end up with no learning or no curve. Either way is bad. Plant your curve out in the ground and leave it alone for a few years. You'll have a bigger curve.

Top Bottom