Norfolk Pine as Bonsai?

BonsaiNinja

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hello, I am new to the website, and it is exactly what I have been searching for, so I am very excited. I have been dabbling in bonsai for about a year, and I recently received a Norfolk Island Pine from my associates at work. It is a great little tree for my desk, and I have pruned it in a fashion I find pleasurable. I have not seen any other Norfolk Island Pine bonsai trees though. Does anyone have experience with training these? I will post pics of my little desktop treasure soon. It is obviously not the ideal bonsai specimen, but it does have some interesting possibilities.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ninja, First of all welcome. If you google Norfolk Pine as Bonsai images it produces about a half a dozen. Looking forward to your pictures.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh yes, excuse my bad manners, welcome to the forum. :)

Someone here will no doubt have some experience on this species, by no means did I want to discourage you, on the contray, I wanted to encourage you to go ahead and go where others haven't.

And on that google search for Norfolk Pine as Bonsai use the image search fuction, you'll see a few. :)

Will

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

I have never seen one as a bonsai but I have seen some fairly developed ones in the landscape here in Florida. I drive by one every day on my way to work - it's kind of cool looking. It looks to have been planted quite some time ago. At some point a storm of some sort blew it over a bit and the tree was never corrected. It grew from there with a bit of a curve. A few years ago the owner decided to "go nuts" pruning and removed the lower branches up to perhaps 10' - 12'. I gasped the next time I saw it. Slowly over the past few years it has set new branches where they were removed. Now the lower branches are much more in scale with the trunk. Now to find a branch for a new leader...

I'll try to get a photo. It's on a busy street but there may be a driveway I can slip in to a get a shot or two.

Best of luck, let us know if you need specific help.

Top Bottom