Norfolk pine

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I just picked up a free Norfolk pine. My growing zone is borderline for it. I'm mulling over what to do. I'm thinking about putting it in the ground on the south side of my house but wonder if it may die in the winter because they are supposed to be for 10+ grow zones. My area has a few days a year with freezing temperature.

I just didn't want to see it tossed into the trash bin.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I have a couple Christmas leftover Norfolk Pines, just because they were like $1.50. Here in the armpit of the weather world, they have to be inside for the winter. I keep one in a southern window at work, all year long. It does fine, but they're just little guys.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I believe you can grow norfolk pine outdoors in Louisiana, you are on the water, near the Gulf. Norfolk pine are hardy to about +10 F, They should be okay.

Better to use them as landscape trees, they do not respond well to bonsai pruning techniques. If you do put it in a bonsai pot, just keep it root bound to keep it growing slow, and it will look like it does for a long time.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I believe you can grow norfolk pine outdoors in Louisiana, you are on the water, near the Gulf. Norfolk pine are hardy to about +10 F, They should be okay.

Better to use them as landscape trees, they do not respond well to bonsai pruning techniques. If you do put it in a bonsai pot, just keep it root bound to keep it growing slow, and it will look like it does for a long time.
I am going to use it as landscape tree for sure.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

I've read everywhere that Norfolk pines are only hardy to 35 deg F. Are you sure they are hardy to 10 F? If so I'll stick them in the ground. My house sticks out on an empty lake bank with no where to hide from the wind. I am not sure that Norfolk pines can survive where I am. I was thinking about keeping it in a pot as it is now and be a house plant.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I've read everywhere that Norfolk pines are only hardy to 35 deg F. Are you sure they are hardy to 10 F? If so I'll stick them in the ground. My house sticks out on an empty lake bank with no where to hide from the wind. I am not sure that Norfolk pines can survive where I am. I was thinking about keeping it in a pot as it is now and be a house plant.

You know, I'm from Chicago, ignore my advice on Norfolk pines, because I've never had one I left outside survive. :cool:
I do know they don't respond to pruning the way you might expect, which means as bonsai they are not a good choice. They do make attractive house plants.

Coppersdad

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

I've had a double trunk specimen in a pot for three years. It's indoors now and will stay here until the temperature averages 50F. Then it will go out with the others on the bench. It was a rescue too. I just couldn't pass up a free tree.
It grows year round and loves to be misted. It grows so slow, I really don't expect much. I guess it has sort of become a mascot. I do fear it would not survive in the ground here.
I think, if I did try anything with it, I might acquire a few more and try a penjing, maybe a small setting on a gravel beach.
Has anyone had success with the species as a bonsai? Would love to see some pictures. Thanks!

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I've had a double trunk specimen in a pot for three years. It's indoors now and will stay here until the temperature averages 50F. Then it will go out with the others on the bench. It was a rescue too. I just couldn't pass up a free tree.
It grows year round and loves to be misted. It grows so slow, I really don't expect much. I guess it has sort of become a mascot. I do fear it would not survive in the ground here.
I think, if I did try anything with it, I might acquire a few more and try a penjing, maybe a small setting on a gravel beach.
Has anyone had success with the species as a bonsai? Would love to see some pictures. Thanks!
From what I've been told, they don't behave well as bonsai. A friend of mine tried and it wanted to be clip and grow. Training a new apex by wire failed several times he said. Mine will be kept as a house plant. I need to focus my energy and time on better stuff.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I had one when I first got into bonsai when I new nothing about nothing. But it was big, 4 feet or so and I beat myself to death doing everything under the sun which only made it uglier and uglier. I still get tempted every Christmas when they go on sale, but resist. They are the epitome of leggy. Shaggy dogs...

Coppersdad

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You know, I'm from Chicago, ignore my advice on Norfolk pines, because I've never had one I left outside survive. :cool:
I do know they don't respond to pruning the way you might expect, which means as bonsai they are not a good choice. They do make attractive house plants.

Leo, are you saying there's no room in that greenhouse I know you must have for one or two poor little tropical trees? Sure, they may be impossible to make into bonsai but they can be pretty.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Leo, are you saying there's no room in that greenhouse I know you must have for one or two poor little tropical trees? Sure, they may be impossible to make into bonsai but they can be pretty.
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Pogo, 1971

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
don't put it near the house, they are brittle and tend to break in hurricanes or storms. Very fast growing too.
They will remain in a pot. I'm keeping them small.

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
They will remain in a pot. I'm keeping them small.
ok, you said in the landscape so I figured that meant planting. I had two huge ones and one had 20 feet come out of the top during Irma and just missed the house so they met mister chainsaw last year.

ysrgrathe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
22 years in this pot. Maybe as big as a pencil? (Grown in low light though)

Attachments

• 3c4f53f0064f064425309413f77410de39756415-1S_1280.jpg
    3c4f53f0064f064425309413f77410de39756415-1S_1280.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 36

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It survived the winter without protection or care. I think it will green back up when the weather gets warmer.

20200320_101244.jpg

Top Bottom