Normal or not?

cozmicat

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey Friends, I have another question, I’ve noticed some drooping foliage on my large maple, I checked the soil and was extremely dry, it has been a weird winter in Seattle, spring temps have come early and left. So the watering has been inconsistent. Can you guys look at the image of the cut branch and give me a diagnosis of issue. It would really suck to lose this tree as it’s my favorite and was a gift. The cut branch is from the back side(not facing sun), also note. The bright light of the picture is eastern facing sun, the trees get that good morning sun and just before the afternoon. Yesterday (4/11) I rotated the tree. So the cut branch would have been facing the sun.

I will say that i gave it a good watering last night and it has seemed to spring back, but honestly idk if I’m fooling myself.

i appreciate the time you all take to respond.

Attachments

• 7E0E6692-C112-4E1D-9293-B64CC9628BA0.jpeg
    7E0E6692-C112-4E1D-9293-B64CC9628BA0.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    339.3 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 52

cozmicat

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here are some more images. First image is from yesterday. Second is from today. Third/Fourt are also from today.

Attachments

• 9B3E9626-8EAF-4439-B582-38D5693240CE.jpeg
    9B3E9626-8EAF-4439-B582-38D5693240CE.jpeg
    278.2 KB · Views: 52
  • CA51EC7D-CF3B-4712-8274-6F5D3F1EDAFD.jpeg
    CA51EC7D-CF3B-4712-8274-6F5D3F1EDAFD.jpeg
    305.4 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 45

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What stands out to me is only a he imbalance of light and dark.

Dappled shade is safe.

Delivery drivers in the US have darker left arms.
It effects plants too.

Sorce

cozmicat

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What stands out to me is only a he imbalance of light and dark.

Dappled shade is safe.

Delivery drivers in the US have darker left arms.
It effects plants too.

Sorce
Thanks source, I rotate once a week. I could pick up the rotation schedule. My concern is the foliage. Are these a sign of something worse. Or does this look normal..

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’ve noticed some drooping foliage on my large maple, I checked the soil and was extremely dry

I will say that i gave it a good watering last night and it has seemed to spring back, but honestly idk if I’m fooling myself.
Don't believe your lying eyes?

When the skies are clear around here, it means the air is dry (low dew point temperature). Water will evaporate from the substrate and will be lost by the tree transpiring --> more watering will be necessary.
Generally, on any given day, the relative humidity will fall as temperature rises. The lowest daily rH will occur about mid-afternoon when the daily temperature peaks --> watering will become necessary in the mid-afternoon.

My concern is the foliage. Are these a sign of something worse. Or does this look normal..
It is hard for me to say, but I don't see anything in the pix indicative of some disease. Since you pix indicate pretty much all the foliage is affected over the entire tree, the disease/affliction would likely be in the trunk or roots. Do you see any blackening of the bark, say, at the soil level?

I have many acer palmatum, acer shirasawanum, and acer japonicum both in pots and in landscape plantings. Spring is tricky because of rH variation - we tend to assume spring = wet, and it just isn't so. Check soil/substrate moisture every day, especially in the afternoon.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks source, I rotate once a week. I could pick up the rotation schedule. My concern is the foliage. Are these a sign of something worse. Or does this look normal..

Yesterday I was thinking about wind operated constant turn turntables.

Because I set up my monkey poles.
20200411_125010.jpg
I have spent today observing them, before deciding which trees I can put over there.

Nice to see the sun upon them.

Unless you know what schedule the fungus is on, in the shade part, you can't know when rotation is necessary.

Rotation, is done in full sun to accommodate for hemispheres.

Not to accommodate for utter darkness.

The problem with finding advice, even from the most educated among us 👆, is that under these conditions, any problem is foreign. Impossible to find the correct answer for.

I believe all the way under the canopy, or all the way out, would allow for a proper investigation of the problem, and would provide a cure for the problem.

Sorce

cozmicat

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Don't believe your lying eyes?

When the skies are clear around here, it means the air is dry (low dew point temperature). Water will evaporate from the substrate and will be lost by the tree transpiring --> more watering will be necessary.
Generally, on any given day, the relative humidity will fall as temperature rises. The lowest daily rH will occur about mid-afternoon when the daily temperature peaks --> watering will become necessary in the mid-afternoon.

It is hard for me to say, but I don't see anything in the pix indicative of some disease. Since you pix indicate pretty much all the foliage is affected over the entire tree, the disease/affliction would likely be in the trunk or roots. Do you see any blackening of the bark, say, at the soil level?

I have many acer palmatum, acer shirasawanum, and acer japonicum both in pots and in landscape plantings. Spring is tricky because of rH variation - we tend to assume spring = wet, and it just isn't so. Check soil/substrate moisture every day, especially in the afternoon.

Thanks Oso, i don’t see blackening at the base, just wet from its watering. I pray that it was just a lack of watering, sometimes my house plants do that because of my neglect. Once I water them they perk back up over the following few days. What is the proper moisture level of the maples? Specifically the ones in bonsai/planter pots. I have posted photos of the trunk base.

I will continue to monitor and post updates.

Attachments

• 4B98D62F-EAFC-4363-852F-458A15F78C24.jpeg
    4B98D62F-EAFC-4363-852F-458A15F78C24.jpeg
    215.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 7191C441-4671-44C7-A4EC-26DB4BF1565A.jpeg
    7191C441-4671-44C7-A4EC-26DB4BF1565A.jpeg
    230.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 6F9B225A-1FA2-4F44-B750-21E88105B752.jpeg
    6F9B225A-1FA2-4F44-B750-21E88105B752.jpeg
    199.9 KB · Views: 28

cozmicat

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yesterday I was thinking about wind operated constant turn turntables.

Because I set up my monkey poles.
View attachment 295360
I have spent today observing them, before deciding which trees I can put over there.

Nice to see the sun upon them.

Unless you know what schedule the fungus is on, in the shade part, you can't know when rotation is necessary.

Rotation, is done in full sun to accommodate for hemispheres.

Not to accommodate for utter darkness.

The problem with finding advice, even from the most educated among us 👆, is that under these conditions, any problem is foreign. Impossible to find the correct answer for.

I believe all the way under the canopy, or all the way out, would allow for a proper investigation of the problem, and would provide a cure for the problem.

Sorce

thanks. I’m not looking for miracle cures I’m looking for opinions from you educated folks. I have other maples in the same “utter darkness” that are doing great! I’m Not by any means saying I know more than your experience has gifted you. I am just saying that other maple trees in the same location are again doing great.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
. I am just saying that other maple trees in the same location are again doing great.
They're other maple trees, they probably are more adjusted for those conditions.
I have a ton of red pines. Some of them have elongated candles now. Others are just starting to get out of dormancy.
What I'm trying to say is that sometimes it's good to look at each individual one and take care of its needs as opposed to treating the whole family the same.
We all have that weird uncle or crazy aunt, I have both. I wouldn't like being compared to them just because we come from the same ancestor.

cozmicat

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
They're other maple trees, they probably are more adjusted for those conditions.
I have a ton of red pines. Some of them have elongated candles now. Others are just starting to get out of dormancy.
What I'm trying to say is that sometimes it's good to look at each individual one and take care of its needs as opposed to treating the whole family the same.
We all have that weird uncle or crazy aunt, I have both. I wouldn't like being compared to them just because we come from the same ancestor.
I appreciate that Guy. After other research I am positive its just the spring look. Thanks again.,

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks like my failed tamukeyama trunk air layer from last year when the roots finally died and weren't able to supply water. I keep a close eye on my maples and don't really water on a schedule. In winter storage, they get checked once a week and watered as needed. When outside, checked at least twice a day and watered 1-3 times a day as needed. Most of the time twice a day.

cozmicat

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just curious, how long have you have this maple? Especially vs others that are doing fine.
Was a gift in February. Not even 3 months. I’ve had the others for about a year. Again I am new to this art form. I literally jumped headfirst into the lions den.

cozmicat

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks like my failed tamukeyama trunk air layer from last year when the roots finally died and weren't able to supply water. I keep a close eye on my maples and don't really water on a schedule. In winter storage, they get checked once a week and watered as needed. When outside, checked at least twice a day and watered 1-3 times a day as needed. Most of the time twice a day.
Thanks. I am hoping death isn’t the case. Lol what can I do if it’s destined. After this post it has seemed to bounce back. I’ll post images.

cozmicat

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What zone are you in?

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks. I am hoping death isn’t the case. Lol what can I do if it’s destined. After this post it has seemed to bounce back. I’ll post images.
It should be fine. If it is just a watering issue you caught it soon enough. Just keep a close eye on it and make sure you neither over nor under water.

cozmicat

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey everyone,

I hope you’re all doing well. So I Have been monitoring my trees daily. I may have missed the coloring of the leaves. Not entirely sure. Taking a look, idk if the leaves are dying or if this is new growth. Please see images and let me know what you think or if any of you have had this experience. I have been keeping the moisture level at about 5 on the moisture reader.

Attachments

• 1B186531-EA08-4D87-B0D4-F61764DA3632.jpeg
    1B186531-EA08-4D87-B0D4-F61764DA3632.jpeg
    191.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 1D3DE2FA-AB4B-4BCE-B800-9D2720670969.jpeg
    1D3DE2FA-AB4B-4BCE-B800-9D2720670969.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 2188C5B7-2A01-46DA-8F8B-944FBF27658E.jpeg
    2188C5B7-2A01-46DA-8F8B-944FBF27658E.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 5
  • C5041421-2E8A-4F1E-BE17-2A1C1CCA7A8D.jpeg
    C5041421-2E8A-4F1E-BE17-2A1C1CCA7A8D.jpeg