Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
The Art of Bonsai Project
Proudly Presents the Great
NORTH AMERICA vs. EUROPE PHOTO CONTEST
Sponsored by Bonsai Today Magazine

The contest objective is for bonsai artists from North America and Europe to submit quality pictures of world class bonsai which will be judged and awarded points by qualified judges who reside neither in North America or Europe.

The goal of this contest is educational and is meant to inspire friendly competition between artists of both regions.

http://artofbonsai.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=62

Jon Chown

Yamadori
Reaction score
Good luck to all who enter, I am looking forward to the results.

I visited another site for the last time today and could not believe the attitude of the general populace there towards this event. No wonder there has been so little of interest posted there of late. Everyone seems to have a large axe to grind. They can keep it.

Jon

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, good luck to all who enters..... and as a resident of North America, I'd like to add, let's give them hell! ;)

Will

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bonsai Today magazine is co-sponsoring the contest and will be running an announcement for the contest in the next issue. They also have put up the first prize money.

The rules have been translated into German and are posted in English as well at AoB.

Will

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
sadly..... no

Why sadly?

I personally think this contest will be a success and shed some light onto the often debated topic of European bonsai compared to American. This forum itself has covered the topic recently.

Will

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I must confess, I don't get the negative spin some people are placing on this contest. This will be a chance to take a peek at trees that may not be normally viewed. I view this as an opportunity that is rare.

Competition be it friendly or otherwise has always made one raise his game. Be it Soccer, Baseball, Boxing or Bonsai. It seems that most the grumblings are coming from the US side of the pond. Do these people feel the US will be the underdog in such a contest?

The only thing I would possibly tweak on this contest is to make a sub-contest run along side with it. Make it judged by the people. Kind of like in the vein of Will's challenge on another thread in this forum. No tree origins to start with, make the people judge the tree, and guess at its origin. Then publish the results along with the official judges findings. The results would be interesting and would allow people outside these two continent's to participate.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hi Tom: I agree with you, this can only be a good thing. Those who are taking an attitude are taking an attitude not because of the contest but because of an undertow of bitterness towards one individual in particular. It's too bad, their loss. However as to special invitations? The contest is open to any and all, but it can take on Biblical proportions in that many are called but few are chosen. As Al mentioned on another forum, it would be an honor just to be in the running. Contrary to what a lot of people think, and their perception of Internet forums, not every body is a beginner, and not everything should be geared toward beginners. It amuses me that anytime something comes along that seems to be geared toward the more advanced growers the accusations of elitists scum bags surfaces. Get over it.

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of gum flapping over this contest at BT, not so much here. Personally I think the contest is a great thing but judging from the comments (at BT) I would put my money on Europe.

From someone who has neither a good camera to shoot a good photo or a good tree ready to be shot I envy those with both. I'm with Barry - let me know when the pond basket entries using out of focus entry grade cameras are allowed. Until them I look forward to seeing some great photos from Europe or America - it's all good. It's all about the bonsai - right? I mean it's all about sharing pictures of nice trees and if we (as a community) can't appreciate that for whatever reason we (as a community) have some serious issues.

I still get joy from seeing nice trees and I don't care who did them or where they came from.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
There seems to be a lot of gum flapping over this contest at BT, not so much here. Personally I think the contest is a great thing but judging from the comments (at BT) I would put my money on Europe.

From someone who has neither a good camera to shoot a good photo or a good tree ready to be shot I envy those with both. I'm with Barry - let me know when the pond basket entries using out of focus entry grade cameras are allowed. Until them I look forward to seeing some great photos from Europe or America - it's all good. It's all about the bonsai - right? I mean it's all about sharing pictures of nice trees and if we (as a community) can't appreciate that for whatever reason we (as a community) have some serious issues.

I still get joy from seeing nice trees and I don't care who did them or where they came from.

Right on, what he said.

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like the twist about no names and no country. It would indeed permit the best of the best winning, regardless where they are from without bias. Because in the end isn't it about good bonsai vice where the trees come from?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can't help but to think that while many are poking and prodding at this contest, the Europeans are smiling while they are cleaning up and taking pictures of their trees.

Food for thought....

Will

Reaction score
USDA Zone
AoB organized the photo contest last year and it set the Internet record for number of entries and number of countries represented. It was also the first such collaboration between a forum and a bonsai magazine. It is now the contest to measure all others against.

AoB also ran a display contest last year that also set Internet records for such a contest.

Who keeps tabs on these things, and where are the records kept? Are they audited?;)

However, the next time you organize a contest, you are free to do as you wish, for this contest, the rules are set, posted, and entries will be posted soon.

I certainly agree here. Those who want to set their own rules of course need to stage their own contest.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Who keeps tabs on these things, and where are the records kept? Are they audited?;)
AoB and the staff there which consists of some very respected names in bonsai will, as in all other contests we have held, manage the contest. As with all contests, records are held and AoB has never once been challenged as to results. Our record speaks for itself.

Those who want to set their own rules of course need to stage their own contest.
Exactly. When you are doing things never before done, you make your own rules. Of course, this leads to new things which may really make some people angry. AoB has a record of doing things never done before, like this contest. Originality is often scoffed at, no surprise here.

Enter if you can, enjoy the submissions, ignore it if you wish, the contest goes on and the Europeans are gearing up.

Will

Last edited:

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Will- With all the action (both good & bad), please make sure that it goes off without a major hitch and work towards making it a sustainable contest. I say this as making it successful will be the best thing you can do to silence the detractors, and I say sustainable because I do believe that American Bonsai is 5-10 years behind European Bonsai, but will close the gap over time. If this contest is held over the years, I think that while we here in the US may get our clocks cleaned now, it will be a different story in 10 years. At least I know that by then I'll have some trees worthy of contending...

Others - I value opinions as much as everybody else, but Da Head Nut has threatened us all with time outs in the past, and I think we are on the verge of another threat. Discussions about AOB contests should probably be held on the AOB forum, and leave The Nut out of it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will- With all the action (both good & bad), please make sure that it goes off without a major hitch and work towards making it a sustainable contest. I say this as making it successful will be the best thing you can do to silence the detractors, and I say sustainable because I do believe that American Bonsai is 5-10 years behind European Bonsai, but will close the gap over time. If this contest is held over the years, I think that while we here in the US may get our clocks cleaned now, it will be a different story in 10 years. At least I know that by then I'll have some trees worthy of contending...

Well put and I agree, I think we would be hard pressed now to beat the Europeans, but I am hoping to be surprised. I think most will be happy with the final outcome, but that tale won't be told until June first (the deadline) and also after the judging.

Discussions about AOB contests should probably be held on the AOB forum, and leave The Nut out of it.
I agree, such an area is set up for those who feel dicussing the contest is more important than getting ready for it. http://www.artofbonsai.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=997

So we can count on your entries 10 years from today Rich? :)

Will

Top Bottom