North American Celtis

BONSAI_OUTLAW

Banned
Reaction score
I was going to send this querry to Brent via email, but thought that like always his experience and knowledge would be enjoyed by others seeking wisdom as well, so I will post it here instead.

Brent I am well aware that Celtis occidentalis makes a fine subject for bonsai. With this being said I was wondering if you would care to compare and contrast it's close cousin Celtis laevigata with Celtis occidentalis.

Boondock

Shohin
Reaction score
an interesting and timely question BONSAI_OUTLAW, as the first of my 100 Celtis laevigata (aka Sugarberry) seeds I sowed this year have sprouted 2 days ago.

BONSAI_OUTLAW

Banned
Reaction score
Been awhile so I thought I would "bump" this thread.

BTW Boondock, How are your seedlings doing?

BONSAI_OUTLAW

Banned
Reaction score
That is good to hear Boondock.

I have a bunch of Celtis occidentalis and have started a few air layers on Celtis laevigata. I like the texture of the leaves on the C. laevigata so much more than the leaves on the C. occidentalis. There is some information out there on the C. occidentalis and I would love to hear from someone who has created a bonsai from C. laevigata. I know that we can't be the only two people that are working with this specise.

Boondock

Shohin
Reaction score
The leaves are one thing...

But who can resist the name "Sugarberry" :cool:

isn't that your nickname?

Last edited:

BONSAI_OUTLAW

Banned
Reaction score
lol...I have been called a lot of things, but I have never in my whole life been called that.

Brent

Mame
Reaction score
Could one of you post a macro of the leaf and stem of C. laevigata aka Sugarberry? I haven't grown them except that I got some seeds from a fellow in NH who thought they were Celtis but couldn't get a positive species ID from anyone. From my books, I thought it was Sugarberry, but I'm still not sure. It is very different from C. occidentalis. The Sugarberry, if that's what it is, flowered and fruited in about 3 years. My C. occidentalis haven't flowered yet, and some of them must be close to 15 years old. The small black berries on these seedlings look like hackberries to me. Can you think of any other confirming characteristics?

In any case my 'Sugarberry' is very interesting even though it is quite different. It grows very fast and is practically indestrucible. You can chop it nearly to the ground and it will resprout. It produces rampant growth even when incredibly rootbound. Leaf and internode size seem to be the big problem, they are going to be a bear to reduce. The flowers and fruit are a definite plus.

Brent
EvergreenGardenworks.com

Boondock

Shohin
Reaction score
I purchased Celtis laevigata seed from a reputable business. The seed is round, about 3mm, surface is slightly dimpled, light tan in color, and has a thick outer shell, cracking neatly in half upon germination.

Last edited:

Boondock

Shohin
Reaction score
Yes, I see your point. Mine have serrated margins. I wonder if there are local variations or subspecies? I bought mine from a company in Pennsylvania (I think)

In the describtion on the link you provided, says this about the leaves...
from the link... Leaf margins may be slightly serrate or entire.

Last edited:

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
hmmm, looks like the one we call pissin elm/ hackberry down here.
Irene

AndyWilson

Mame
Reaction score
Wow, if i didnt know any better i would swear those pics are of Celtis Africana... The leaves are identical. We call em stinkwood over here.

Boondock

Shohin
Reaction score
AndyWilson, I did some searching for Celtis Africana, found this picture and yes, you're right, it resembles Celtis laevigata.

Pissin Elm and Stinkwood, I like Sugarberry better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom